Valve, ATI, and CZ gone Gold

Screw Vivendi, I dont like them, Valve should find a diffrent publisher (maybe EA ? lol).

its good to see something related to valve go gold regardless..
unfortunate it had to be CZ lol but still :)

You have to wonder if there is any reason behind them releasing the game over a month after it has gone gold, I wouldn't have thought it would take that long to produce the boxes/manuals etc.

Vivendi really shout keep their mouth shut and deal with it. From what I read they lost $59.5 million and nned a good game(ie: HL2). So if they want to go bankrupt fine with me but if they want to remain competitive they have to deal with it.

Valve should become their own publisher and reap all the benifits themselves.

Originally posted by Hallucinogen
Screw Vivendi, I dont like them, Valve should find a diffrent publisher (maybe EA ? lol).

please, anyone but EA.

What's wrong with EA?

Anyway, I'd prefer Activision or even Sierra at a pinch.

Originally posted by jonbob
What's wrong with EA?

Anyway, I'd prefer Activision or even Sierra at a pinch.

LOL - Sierra is owned by Vivendi - Who is publishing it...

Yes anyone but EA, and maybe Microsoft.

EA has some fun games but holy hell they lack polish and some things can run crappy until the patches roll out.

Microsoft is resposible for Age of Empires and a bunch of other good games, but they would probably force Valve to making their games Xbox exclusive or force their hand into making it console friendly when the resources could be spent making it a better PC game.

I wish Valve would go with Activision. They are the best IMO. Hell, they let ID and Splash Damage release Woflenstein: Enemy Territory for FREE.

Vivendi has seen better days. One of the reasons Bill Roper and gang left Blizzard was because of the growing influence Vivendi was having over Blizzard gaming developement. Or so it's rumored...

The worse publisher IMO:

Atari - they made Troika censor The Temple of Elemental Evil so it would get a Teen rating. They also took a few weeks to decide if they were going to support a patch for that terribly bug-plagued game.

vivindi is owned by universal studios, so they wont be going bankrupt anytime soon.

Who cares about the publisher? As long as they give valve all the time they need. Vivendi hasn't done anything wrong afaik.

y 4 r u h8?

Originally posted by Skammich
vivindi is owned by universal studios, so they wont be going bankrupt anytime soon.

No.. Vivendi is owned by General Electric now, they had a merger recently

regardless, they arent going bankrupt anytime soon

Are we going to see refrigerators with games built into them anytime soon, if so, there wont be a single skinny gamer left.

Originally posted by Shuzer
No.. Vivendi is owned by General Electric now, they had a merger recently

No and No..

Vivendi Universal Games, which controls ALL the video games Published by Vivendi, is still owned by Vivendi as a subsidiary - GE does not own Vivendi Universal Games. GE owns everything else that Vivendi owns, but NOT their game publishing division.

Vivendi is currently looking to sell it's entire video game publishing division for 1 Billion dollars. They just recently turned down a group partnership that offered them around 800 million. Vivendi wants atleast 1 billion.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6076823.html

Vivendi has also decided to NOT sell until AFTER the 2003 Holiday season. Which makes me think Half Life 2 is definately a Q2 2004 game.

I wonder if Valve is concerned about the potential VUG sale? Maybe Valve will intentionally hold off on HL2 until VUG is settled?

Originally posted by Mr. Redundant
its good to see something related to valve go gold regardless..
unfortunate it had to be CZ lol but still :)

agreed!

this should be good news in a few ways.. that of course hoping HL2 may be released before X-mas.. like the few pple here and myself included believe that CZ will be a mini stress test on the Steam network.. giving a small indication of how well Steam can/will handle a HL2 release.

i do realize comparing the stress that CZ will put on the network compared to what HL2 will is very mynute(sp?) but theres enough CS fans out there that will buy CZ and give some idea as to how "ready" Steam really is..

keep ur fingers crossed :p

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
agreed!

this should be good news in a few ways.. that of course hoping HL2 may be released before X-mas.. like the few pple here and myself included believe that CZ will be a mini stress test on the Steam network.. giving a small indication of how well Steam can/will handle a HL2 release.

i do realize comparing the stress that CZ will put on the network compared to what HL2 will is very mynute(sp?) but theres enough CS fans out there that will buy CZ and give some idea as to how "ready" Steam really is..

keep ur fingers crossed :p

i agree its a good stress test... and CZ has been adjusted quite a lot since some of the pczone reviews back in august where it got slated :)

so fingers crossed its not too shabby! shame about no new models...

TheRook
p.s the spelling is minute (just so you know)

Originally posted by Netherscourge
Vivendi has also decided to NOT sell until AFTER the 2003 Holiday season. Which makes me think Half Life 2 is definately a Q2 2004 game.

I wonder if Valve is concerned about the potential VUG sale? Maybe Valve will intentionally hold off on HL2 until VUG is settled?

That's the first thing that came to my mind when these offers started coming out. It all made sense after that.

Originally posted by TheRook
i agree its a good stress test... and CZ has been adjusted quite a lot since some of the pczone reviews back in august where it got slated :)

so fingers crossed its not too shabby! shame about no new models...

TheRook
p.s the spelling is minute (just so you know)

yup, and thanks for that spelling confirmation :)

honestly? i think CZ and HL2 being delayed have as much to do with Steam and its network as the games themselves not "fully" complete (ya its hard to imagine that CZ isn't complete after all we have seen happen with it :eek: )

i think generally pple overlook the Steam factor in all this.. and it becomes an after-thought.. thinking logically, Valve hasn't poured all the time and effort into Steam so when CZ/HL2 are released, Steam runs like a half-assed shitty program, they need and want Steam to run well obviously, and the last thing Valve wants are hoards of angry fans/gamers crying "poor release" so theres no point in releasing games if Steam is not ready... Valve have too much invested now to be releasing games too early.

now mix in the fact that some source code was stolen and there we have the delay (delay might have been shorter had this stealing of the source code had not happened.. i believe anyway) that some pple feared and others did not want to believe since Valve was so hush-hush until finally within days of 9/30 they finally annouced a delay

anyway, HL2 will be released when the game is ready along with when Steam is ready to handle the demand the game will bring.

I think that they would like to release CZ with HL2 because I think that they have something special that will run with the Source engine.

Any publisher has got to be better than Microsoft!!!

Good. IMO Valve developed the game with their own funding, they struck a deal with Vivendi to put the game in stores in shiny boxes. They're doing Vivendi a FAVOR. "Hey, if you guys burn about a bazillion copies of this disc, put it in boxes and distribute it, you can have a cut of the profits."

Valve doesn't owe Vivendi anything. The game hasn't gone gold, no boxes are in stores, and there really hasn't been any marketing to speak of. So, let them fume. They'll have the game when Valve is through with it.

The deal with ATI? That's Valve's business. If they want to let ATI offer vouchers to distribute the game via Steam, more power to them.

VU doesn't own Valve, and Valve is doing what the creator of a product should do- not let what is basically a mere distributor push them around. :)

Yeah. I think most of you are forgetting that this is news from The Inquirer. This is about the same as posting gossip that J-Lo is mad at Ben. :rolleyes:

lol I love all these 14 year old high school kids saying what the multi-national corporation Vivendi 'should' do. :)

Although there were one or two good posts in this thread, definately above average.

Why the hell would you trust somthing you read in the inquirer?

I'll tell you the first thing thats wrong with this. ATI ISNT bundling hl2 with their new cards. They're give out vouchers for a free copy of the game. You could by the card now and get the voucher now too, then just use it when the game comes out. There was nothing true in in that artical at all.

Originally posted by Fender357
Why the hell would you trust somthing you read in the inquirer?

Heh, I think your talking about the National Enquirer.

Originally posted by Netherscourge
I wish Valve would go with Activision. They are the best IMO. Hell, they let ID and Splash Damage release Woflenstein: Enemy Territory for FREE.

They had Activision publish DOD so why not. I think that once their contract with Vivendi expires, they'll switch over to Activision. Like you said, Activision is a very nice publisher. And they don't stick their logos all over the place.

Originally posted by Comreak
Heh, I think your talking about the National Enquirer.

Oh yeah, your right:dozey:

But they still have all their information wrong.

Personally, I hate Vivendi, every bit as much as I hate Sierra.

Vivendi told sierra to cut prices, sierra laid off the dev team of B5:ITF.

I wish the boycot had put Sierra COMPLEATLY dead, rather then simply reducing them to a publisher...
Don't mess with B5 Fans... :)

crap...now I want that game again...I should stop listening to some of the music from it...

Back