Valve: Hire Me [A Musical Job Application]

drakaal

Reaction score

Erin made this video to get Valve's attention. It is really cute (and so is she). Be warned that you may get this song stuck in your head for hours.

Cute, but her time would be better spent working on actually having relevant skills to game development.

Looking at her site, it looks like the only relevant skills she really has is some skill in 2D art. None of it is concept art though, and more plain old fine art. Anyways, begging probably won't get the job done, but good luck to her anyways.

I'm a girl and know what Fight Club is hire me!!!!!

She has pretty good artistic ability actually, but I think she would need to grab some more qualifications first, better her skills, preferably land job placements in lower gaming companies. Simply being good at art and doing a musical application won't get you hired >_>

But she tried both kinds of mail first!!

She has deviantart level drawing skills.

There are actually quite a lot of VERY good artists that use DA, and come on now, her ability isn't that bad. I mean its ambitious and one could say, pretentious, that she thinks she can get a job at Valve by sending applications and then doing this, but at least she knows what she wants and is trying to get it which is a lot more than I can say for a LOT of people these days.

She has a good art skill but, i don't think VALVe are going to hire her cause she can paint little drawings of people and whatnot.

Can you imagine if a guy made this? No one would give a shit. But since it's a woman everyone is like "AW PRETTY CUTE, COME ON GUYS GIVE HER A BREAK. VALVE SHOULD RESPOND TO THIS"

Seriously, if Valve responds to this in any way, I will be legitimately upset. I am not even trying to sound like an ass or anything, but it's a little offensive in my opinion. I think of all the people who spend years honing their skills and taking out loans to go to college and seriously dedicating their time to become good enough for a position, apply to a dozen of different companies, and still don't get a job anywhere. But an unqualified girl with absolutely no relevant skills for a job makes a "witty" youtube video and everyone takes note.

Pretty much the way the internet works.

Also, in this day and age, the creative and innovative peeps are more likely to get hired. When I was back in College my tutor told me during a CV and Job Interview lesson that this one girl got hired by an Art Studio because she gave them her CV in the form of an Origami Dove. True story.

^Ugh, stuff like that makes me sad. Recruiters suck. Pretty sure some of them are just looking to hire people that can go out and drink with at night. Here's my true story: one time some guy told me my GPA was too high to get a job at his company.

I don't really think anyone is being any less hard on this girl for being a girl though. I mean, nobody here has said she should get a job or any recognition. Sometimes it seems girls actually get more crap on the internet for being girls.

^Ugh, stuff like that makes me sad. Recruiters suck. Pretty sure some of them are just looking to hire people that can go out and drink with at night. Here's my true story: one time some guy told me my GPA was too high to get a job at his company.

Yeah. It's bad to be overqualified, or people get worried you might take their job.

The military is nice that way. You get rewarded for doing well.

My favourite job interview term is "overqualified."

You are "overqualified" for this job.

Your skills are so good we are going to have to turn you down.

Seriously, what?

I wonder if it's ok to lie on your resume and report your GPA as something lower than it actually is.

On further thought, the job I mentioned was for a consulting company, which probably means they bill clients by the hour. I've also heard that those companies don't like if you work "too fast" because then they can't bill the client as much. I'm not sure if that makes things better or worse.

Pretty much the way the internet works.

Also, in this day and age, the creative and innovative peeps are more likely to get hired. When I was back in College my tutor told me during a CV and Job Interview lesson that this one girl got hired by an Art Studio because she gave them her CV in the form of an Origami Dove. True story.

You see, I bet that her CV was just as good as everybody else's. The fact that she used a little bit of initiative to try something a bit different is probably what got her the job. Remember a recruiter will probably look at hundreds of people who are pretty much exactly the same, hence why you have to make them remember you.

I personally just email an executive of the company I'm applying for, I usually manage to get at least 1 interview out of every 5 vacancies I apply for. Any sort of initiative makes you stand out from the crowd.

Heard a similar story once about a guy who got a job at a dairy company because his resume was shaped like a cow. :v

You see, I bet that her CV was just as good as everybody else's. The fact that she used a little bit of initiative to try something a bit different is probably what got her the job. Remember a recruiter will probably look at hundreds of people who are pretty much exactly the same, hence why you have to make them remember you.

That's pretty much exactly what I was saying. :V

I'm kind of rooting for this girl now. I mean, I don't see any Valve staff that happen to see this video doing anything other than laughing at it but at least she's made a video that's potentially going viral (if not getting popular). It's got quite a lot of views. Maybe she'll make more stuff and people will pay attention to it, who knows?

Maybe she'll actually get good at drawing and then she'll get a job.

I wouldn't hire someone who wined that much either.

Props for at least doing something slightly different in applying. Her artistic skills arent amazing, but maybe this is enough for someone (if not Valve) to notice her. Technical skills arent everything after all (Super Meat Boy and Alien Hominid arent technically challenging, but have their own great charm).

Personality isn't everything either. I agree with what Minister and Stigmata are saying - showing initiative and personality and whatnot are all very important in successfully pursuing a job. However, if you are all initiative and no skillset, you are still screwed. Her CV is LIGHT YEARS away from being anywhere near Valve level of skill and technical prowess, unless she gets some absurd job where all they want her to do is run around the office playing a ukelele and singing along to it to keep everyone's spirits up.

If she devoted as much energy to actually developing skills as she did to showing how much she wants to be at Valve she would have a much better shot at it. Like ZT said if Valve hires her based on this I will cry for all of the much more highly qualified people out there who can't get a job at a shitty game developer, much less Valve. The only thing I could possibly see coming of this is Valve deciding she has a likeable personality and hiring her as a marketing person or something.

Back