Valve Opens The Orange Box!

Ah FFS God hates me or somethin!?!?!?!?!!!! :flame: I get up at 5:40AM and it came out at 3AM. I gotta leave for school at 6:40. So I get up and it takes 20min to decrypt. Then I play up to the part of fighting off the antlions. Then I leave for college at 6:40AM and go to friggin college at 8AM and the stupid Chinese math teacher cancelled class at the last minute. I could have played 2 hours of the game! ARGHHHHHH Now I gotta wait for 2 more classes and get out at 5PM. :(;(

Don't feel alone, my mom's coming back at 4:30, and she's taking me to gamestop to get it, so it'll be about 5:15 till I even get it home, but i'm not sure she's even gonna let me play it cause I have more finals tomorrow. (I have 2 easy ones, and 1 super easy one in keyboarding, but she won't believe that they're easy enough for me to not study, so I'm pretty ****ed.) :(

lol...portal can literally be beaten in an hour and a half. Fun ride while it lasted but jesus christ.. Valve wtf.

OMG Half-Life 2 : ep2 so awesome!
Portal so awesome!
I am so happy that I bought the orange box on steam!

lol...portal can literally be beaten in an hour and a half. Fun ride while it lasted but jesus christ.. Valve wtf.

People say that about every game... It took me 4 hours or so to finish it ad I was playing it relatively consistently.

People said the same thing about Episode 1 but if you look at the stats the average play time was over 4 hours...

If you're going to complain how short it is, don't rush it when you play it...

If you're going to complain how short it is, don't rush it when you play it...

QFT. I spent a good 5 hours on it just looking around and figuring things out, you don't rush a gourmet meal, you take your time. :dozey:

Orange Box Pwns You

Heh, that just sorta came out

Portal is the advent of what humans can create.

I was wondering when we'd get around to making it.

QFT. I spent a good 5 hours on it just looking around and figuring things out, you don't rush a gourmet meal, you take your time. :dozey:
Just to add on:

Personally I'd rather play a short game where all the frustrating, tedious, and annoying filler is cut out. Portal makes a compromise where you get to play the story mode with a fairly consistent slope in its entirety, but they also include the devious puzzles for people who want to spend the time to solve them. Be grateful you don't have to beat every insane challenge to see the entire story, just for the sake of increasing play time.

Howcome the UK gets the game earlier than the rest of Europe?

Only reason I can think of is that the UK speak practically the same language as American (just with some different words and accents [= )
and there probally sorting out the subtitles or dubs for the other european countries?

Maybe I'm wrong, but its just a presumption.

Just played a bit into the second chapter...it's damn good quality so far, just as I expect from an HL game. So no disappointment so far, for those worried.

BTW is it just me or has Ep. 2 beat the record for longest first chapter in an HL game? Or at least the most combat-intensive.

Just played a bit into the second chapter...it's damn good quality so far, just as I expect from an HL game. So no disappointment so far, for those worried.

BTW is it just me or has Ep. 2 beat the record for longest first chapter in an HL game? Or at least the most combat-intensive.

Ya, if I recall the first two or three chapters are quite lengthy. The last few are pretty short though. The last one is just some story segment, then the end.. about 5-10 minutes.

Been playing both for about 2 -3 hours. I'm stuck in both lol. In hl2 am stuck at the part after you evade the giant poison ant-lion and have to go up some elevator that you have to reactivate. I see no way to activate the elevator. In Portal am stuck at the part where there is an iron box at the other side of the room with poison water all around you and a moving platform. I guess I have somehow propel my self over to the other side but uh I don't see how thats possible. Since the platform with the box is pretty up high.

Been playing both for about 2 -3 hours. I'm stuck in both lol. In hl2 am stuck at the part after you evade the giant poison ant-lion and have to go up some elevator that you have to reactivate. I see no way to activate the elevator. In Portal am stuck at the part where there is an iron box at the other side of the room with poison water all around you and a moving platform. I guess I have somehow propel my self over to the other side but uh I don't see how thats possible. Since the platform with the box is pretty up high.

You're not thinking with portals yet.

Done :) :) :)

Ok, finished Episode 2 (total playtime ~8 hours) and Portal (total playtime ~4 hours).

In a nutshell: I haven't been this happy since HL1!

I mean, Ep2 is still a bit too bland for my tastes (I really hate that on-the-rails feeling, and the combat is still very underwhelming--you shoot at the enemies, and they don't even try to move away), but there were moments in the old mineshaft (with the many waves of antlions) and the factory (leading to the car) where I felt like I was in the good old HL nirvana again. Plus, of course, the physics puzzles--thank you, Valve!

But the big news is Portal -- WOW! What a refreshing, awesome game! I haven't enjoyed myself like this in a longest time. The level design is fantastic, and it's the best feeling when a solution that you think is non-obvious turns out to be the right one.

I'm impressed, Valve! Money well spent!

What I find most fascinating is the possible intersection of the Black Mesa and Aperture Science storylines. I think that the story of two formerly competing defense science corporations joining forces and helping Gordon kick alien ass back "into the void" would be enormously satisfying.

Finished Ep2 last night, bloody good game, but i went like WTF when the credits started to roll though.
I really liked the source engine! :D the underwater blur, the new fire effect, the vorti's shaders, motion blur, mini textures, and the flashlight : O

Well, valve, ... thank you.

-dodo

Finnaly got my copy and started downloading. $20 AUD ($18 USD / $8.9 GBP :) ) Haha, screw you overpriced Aus retail outlets. Been playing Peggle while the bigger downloads finish.

Finnaly got my copy and started downloading. $20 AUD ($18 USD / $8.9 GBP :) ) Haha, screw you overpriced Aus retail outlets. Been playing Peggle while the bigger downloads finish.

Orange Box or just EP2?

Beat them Both already.
Portal was great, just great. Liked everything about it.

Episode 2, *SPoilers*
The Last level was great, but the Orb Balls you shoot at the striders were crap. Tbey didnt work half the time. I say we need a patch.

Great Heart Wrenching ending too.

Biggest Complaint,
Too Short.

Only reason I can think of is that the UK speak practically the same language as American (just with some different words and accents [= )
and there probally sorting out the subtitles or dubs for the other european countries?

Maybe I'm wrong, but its just a presumption.
We have no subtitles or dubs in Scandinavia, so they should release it here on the 10th as well.

*** This thread has been killed by mini spoilers ***

Remember the little "guys" can disable your ball things. Even when they are attached correctly they can still be disabled.

Why the **** are there spoilers in a news thread?
And why aren't the spoilers spoiler tagged?

Are you people ****ing retarded? :|

Finnally, downloading now!
After problems with b*tches from EA, Visa and ON Semiconductor, I'll be happy again.
I didn't got a job what I wanted, my girlfriend doesn't talk to me anymore and I don't why, but I really don't care. The Orange Box is here!

PS I still waiting for my new 22' LCD monitor.

man the orange box is amazing. portal is amazing, ep 2 was good but short, and even tho i never like tfc, i like tf2

OK, Epsiode 2 is amazing! I can't believe how they do it, but it gets better and better for every game!

Better than I expected, and I hyped it up in my mind quite a bit. TF2 is a new love, Portal is sheer brilliance....I've only begun Ep2 but so far it seems like more of a serious sequel than Ep1 was.

My decryption is sort of like that Futurama episode where Bender will be executed, but instead of a countdown, they have a random number generator. I'm going from like 55% to 65% to 5% to 22% to 10%. I know I'll get lucky and hit 100% sometime. :)

WOW, long-time-no-post it would seem. Hello there.

No, he said he was playing peggle while downloading the OB content.

I have both games having bought the Orange box and buying a tonne of popcap games sometime earlier. But yes vanilla peggle.

So, you're saying you got The Orange Box for ~18$ (US)??!

If so - please tell us how! :)

Amazing pack of games but hl2 epi 2 is WAY! to short. After have been waiting ages for this and when it comes out it is completed in 2 days (if I stretch it a bit...).

Do to the fackt that there too litle "puzzle parts" in the game like we did have in epi 1 where u was in that dark erea that tok a long time, and slows the game down.

So epi 2 was too short.

But the highlight for me was Portal a game that I had very litle hopes for but did prove to be a amazing game, fantastic work!.

So now we are waiting for the last part, but last.... why should they stop. ?

Amazing pack of games but hl2 epi 2 is WAY! to short. After have been waiting ages for this and when it comes out it is completed in 2 days (if I stretch it a bit...).

Do to the fackt that there too litle "puzzle parts" in the game like we did have in epi 1 where u was in that dark erea that tok a long time, and slows the game down.

So epi 2 was too short.

But the highlight for me was Portal a game that I had very litle hopes for but did prove to be a amazing game, fantastic work!.

So now we are waiting for the last part, but last.... why should they stop. ?

Compared to Episode 1, Episode 2 should be a god send.
Episode 1 took about 2 hours to beat, whereas I'm still playing Episode 2 since I started on Friday night.

So really, Episode 2 is not way too short at all, no matter what anyone says.
Imo, It's a decent game length.

You know the point when people start moaning about things getting repetitive and boring in a game? That's because the game is too long. Surprise, there is such a term as 'too long'. /Me looks at HL2/Deus ex.

Back