Valve Possibly Making 'Steam Box' Console

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
An article over at The Verge pulls together some new (and old) information regarding Valve's potential venture into developing hardware, more specifically a console dubbed the 'Steam Box' which could be a huge game changer for the console market. The rumours include hardware info and an early presentation model for partners at CES.
The actual devices may be made by a variety of partners, and the software would be readily available to any company that wants to get in the game. Adding fuel to that fire is a rumor that the Alienware X51 may have been designed with an early spec of the system in mind, and will be retroactively upgradable to the software.

Apparently meetings were held during CES to demo a hand-built version of the device to potential partners. We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU.

Gabe recently spoke with Penny Arcade about Valve moving into hardware saying "if we have to sell hardware we will". Valve also filed a patent last year for a controller with interchangeable inputs with possible biometric feedback capability, with the Valve psychologist Mike Ambinder involved in the process.

valvectrlpatent2.jpg
Many of these elements seem to fit together including the announced (but as of yet unseen) Steam Big-Picture Mode which aims to offer "simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV". GDC is not far away and Valve will be at E3 this year.

Lets hope they also would consider a big title to launch a console with, just as EA's Origin did with Battlefield 3. But I can't think of anything I'd really like to see...

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11,613
Now, the controller coupled with Big Picture Mode makes far more sense to me than a standalone console.

Imagining a rehash of Super Smash Bros with the Steam catalog lineup.

Looks as if they combined the 360 controller with the now famous spherical top of the Move.

Hooray for backwards compatability...

17th%20oct%20035%20(Custom)%20(2).jpg

... With SEGA Master System sports titles!

I guess this explains Valve's strange patent work from recent years.

There was a quote from a while back, where Newell predicted Apple would do the same thing eventually, only it would be a closed Apple system. If this rumour is true, it would be Valve's attempt at getting the Android jump on them before they do. There are a bunch of good reasons for a box like this to exist, though I can see it being a pretty big risk.

the last thing we need is more consoles, just split up gaming even more... wow what a good idea.

i see no reason for a valve console from a gamer prospective, but i can see why valve would do it i mean idiots will buy anything if there is enough hype.

Its about getting PC content to couch gamers, not a separate platform, (at least that's what people are assuming). An open and free gaming system in a set-top box, would be a big deal for the independent scene, if handled correctly. It would explain some of the stuff Valve has been saying for a while, but it would also be very easy for an analyst to mash all those quotes together into a rumour.

If it supports mouse and KB I'm in. The specs look pretty solid and Valve is not full of cockbags like Sony and Microsoft.

Honestly, as long as they don't all of a sudden make stuff exclusive for it (laughable, really), I don't think this is a bad thing, though a bit odd.

There is another reason to be excited, though it is pure speculation. Because the console market is so well established, it is hard to break in. To help do this the Valve will need a BIG game to launch with the Steam Box. Many of you know the whispers that Valve is waiting for the next generation consoles to release HL3. Could this be what they were waiting on? Additionally, we know they are working on DOTA2, CS:GO, and possibly a third space themed game... Will we get Orange Box 2.0 with the Steam Box?

I REALLY like that trackball gamepad design. I use a trackball as my primary mouse and I personally prefer it over a conventional mouse.

I REALLY like that trackball gamepad design. I use a trackball as my primary mouse and I personally prefer it over a conventional mouse.

For gaming? Really?
I suppose one could get used to it...

if valve is making a console I wish it could be conected to the pc to use as a graphic card or something like that but oh well.....

For gaming? Really?
I've heard of people using them for things like flying jets in BF2 and also stuff that wants smooth aiming rather than twitch like the Heavy in TF2.

For gaming? Really?
I don't know how anyone manages to play without a trackball. Also, this appears to be a PC in a box, no? They're just providing a baseline PC spec for developers to target. While it comes with a controller, I would be flabbergasted if this box didn't accept traditional (USB) keyboard/mouse input.

For those of us already in possession of a PC, this may not be worth a purchase (how trivial is it to get your PC to show up on a big screen?) For console-driven gamers, this sounds like it could be a good deal.

Here is a rumoured prototype of the supposed console-PC, it looks like it comes with the necessary ports.

For those of us already in possession of a PC, this may not be worth a purchase (how trivial is it to get your PC to show up on a big screen?)
Well I think the better question is how difficult is it to get functional on a big screen from a couch without some sort of extra stand for a wireless keyboard and mouse. You can control the cursor with an analogue stick with some set-up but that's hardly idea. I think a custom navigation scheme would be part of this, if true.

Here is a rumoured prototype of the supposed console-PC, it looks like it comes with the necessary ports.
Looks like a giant modem.

For gaming? Really?
Yup, It only took me two days to get fully used to mine, but before my thumb trackball I had one that used your index finger which took about a week for me. I don't notice any difference in my accuracy when using either type of mouse.

Back