Valve Upload Official Steam Controller Demonstration Video

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have uploaded a video to their official Youtube channel with a demonstration of their prototype Steam Controller, hosted by Jeff Bellinghausen. The video covers Portal 2, Civilization V, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and indie game Papers Please.

The video is designed to show off how motions on the controller's dual trackpads are translated to mouse movements and keyboard presses. The ability of the controller to mimic both the speed and precision of a mouse is shown with a run of the training course in Counter-Strike: GO and the fast-paced bureaucracy simulation of Papers Please where Jeff uses both of the trackpads at once in order to move the cursor very quickly without losing precision.

Valve also invites users to comment on the video to request any games they want demonstrated with the controller. They also say that they'll be uploading more videos soon showing game developers playing their own games with the controller.

What would you like to see played with the Steam controller next?

I doubt platformers will have any trouble on this controller, but I'd still like to see a game like Rayman Legends or Sonic Generations with the controller.

Agreed. I want to see this thing using xinput and dinput, not just mouse and keyboard inputs.

Indeed. That also makes me wonder if the shoulder buttons are pressure-sensitive or just binary. Judging from the take-apart diagrams on the original announcement page, I'm guessing they're pressure-sensitive.

Also, what price point do you all think the controller might start at?

Indeed. That also makes me wonder if the shoulder buttons are pressure-sensitive or just binary. Judging from the take-apart diagrams on the original announcement page, I'm guessing they're pressure-sensitive.

Also, what price point do you all think the controller might start at?

Assuming it works as nice as it seems in the videos, I'd put down $100 for it, but couldn't see me paying more than that.

I "challenge" you to play Dust: An Elysian Tail effectively with the Steam controller. That type of game is my only worry.

I want to see Euro Truck Simulator and Farming Simulator on the Controller or Car/Racing games in general

I "challenge" you to play Dust: An Elysian Tail effectively with the Steam controller. That type of game is my only worry.

I don't know about Dust but the Super Meat Boy dev was pretty happy with it for his own game and Spelunky.

I like the idea, but I can only see it used for casual games for myself that is. WIth a mouse you use your entire wrist to move it, so discomfort is not that big. But with a controller you use your thumbs mainly which will create a lot of discomfort and pain after an hour or two of play time.

Still very nice idea.

I can see it being used in conjunction with the Oculus Rift, or some other games that were made to be used with a controller.

Back