Video card.. Artifacts.. Etc..

Shamrock

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So my video card is acting funky. Not funkayyyyyy. FUNKY.

It's an MSI 560 Ti GTX blah blah blah. I had the 296.10 drivers installed, and it was running them fine and playing games fine. Awesome, right? I'm like... hmm.. let me see if there are new drivers. Oh, shit. There are! Cool! Let's install these. Yada yada yada. I install them.

I boot up a game, and I see a few random patches of squares. They weren't complete squares. They were dots of green that formed a square in random spots of the screen. I think, well, maybe it's something with the game. The menus look fine (Portal 2, CS:GO, BF3, CS: S), but right when I start the game, it immediately freezes. The game literally freezes and I can't do a damn thing. I haven't tried reinstalling any of the games due to the fact that it happens in all of them.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers to the previous ones. I've tried using DriverSweeper to remove old registry files, etc.. to get this shit working. No dice. I keep trying to install/uninstall to see if maybe there's a file that's causing it that these just aren't writing over. Nope. Still happens.

I look at my temps, and they're what you expect this card to be at. Sitting at 38 C right now, and normally, it barely passes 50 C unless I'm shitting out kills in CS, BF3, My Dick 2, or whatever at the same exact time.

WHAT DO I DO HL..... ValveTime.radish.net?! HELP A DYING BROTHER OUT.

I'm trying to hold off on the whole... OH REFORMAT THAT DICK, BRO!

So please, for the love of monkeys and cheese burgers. Help me.

Do you have onboard video with your motherboard? If so, uninstall the drivers again, remove the card physically, power on and try the games again. Assuming the issue is gone, then reinstall the card, and then install the drivers that came off the CD if you still have it. If that fails, then you tried pretty much everything else already, so its probably a hardware issue. Warranty time.

Did any of those games work for a period of time after the new drivers installed? It'd be some shit if what happened was the fan stopped working while you played for a couple hours and it did get heat damaged like that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know what I did, but I reseated the thing, and voila. It works perfectly now. I was able to play...... DUNNNA DUNNAAAA DUN NAAAAAA. DUNNNA DUNNNNA DUNNNNNN NA. GHOSTBUSTERS for like 2 hours today flawlessly. :D

Weird how these things sometimes happen with no apparent cause or explicable solution...
Call the Fringe division! It's obviously a soft-spot in our universe's dimensional membrane!

Last month or so I updated my drivers and SLI just stopped working altogether. I totally freaked out...
Then after playing around with it and having no success it just started working all of a sudden.

Back