Volition presents: the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
I just felt like sharing this because... jesus christ.

Remember how fun Saint's Row 1 and 2 were without any of this stupid shit? Am I just jaded or did trying too hard to differentiate from GTA IV ruin the **** out of this series?

Remember kids, if you're going to throw someone 10 feet in the air and then slam them onto their neck, it is absolutely necessary to curb-stomp them afterwards.

I didn't watch the whole video (I'm of the mind that this game is a try-hard, so i find it rather boring), but I do have to admit, the sprinting superpower was impressive, technologically.

What the f...........? I don't get it... Am I missing something? I've never played any of the SR games (despite having the first 2 in my account). They just looked like a poor mans GTA to me. So.... what the hell happened? That video was... well, confusing I think is the word. Maybe. I'm still not sure what exactly happened.

Although, the super powered bit looked like fun. I will admit that.

Juvenile, try-hard humour at it's finest.

Honestly not sure why or how this series is still going.

If you find the superpowers appealing, just play Prototype. It's literally the exact same powers, at least as far as the running/jumping/gliding stuff, except more and better and with no dumb tryhard humour. Actually some of those animations looked like they were ripped directly from Prototype.

I don't even know what to say about this. What the ****. WHAT THE ****. WHY. "Jumped the shark" doesn't even begin to describe this.

They missed the dubstep boat by several years

They're just tiding you over until they reveal the Harlem Shake gun, the Nyan Cat gun, and the Cake Is A Lie gun.

They missed the dubstep boat by several years

Dubstep is (unfortunately) still alive and well, my friend. I seriously doubt that a dubstep gun would have been funny at any point, though, much less now.

Dubstep is (unfortunately) still alive and well, my friend. I seriously doubt that a dubstep gun would have been funny at any point, though, much less now.
The original video was posted in mid 2011, so they are pretty late. Of course dubstep itself is still popular, but they could have thought of something more fresh.

Who am I kidding, they probably couldn't have.

They could have made it play with every step instead of every shot, therefore see hence, dubstep.

Preorder your Saints Row IV: Super Dangerous Wub Wub Edition today!

71nqj7%2BX8GL._SL1200_.jpg

Get your dubstep gun replica and film your very own Harlem Shake video!

I almost couldn't tell if that was a real thing.
I read this, and thought "Oh, thank god, its fake"

Then I realized there was a link to the Amazon page for it...

What a roller coaster of emotions this has been.

you guys cant be serious. its obvious with the amount of blunt satire in the trailer, that Volition is gearing SR4 as a vehicle for social commentary, rather than a game trying to set out and be super new and innovative.

i dont feel there are enough games on the market that break the 4th wall and focus on making it's players laugh, and SR4 seems to acknowledge the fact that it is a video game, and in turn, plays jokes on itself. im tired of super serious video games that try way too hard to be realistic and make me "FEEL EMOTIONS" which inevitably fail because you cannot force people to feel a certain emotion through an artistic medium. thats not how art works.

if a developer designs a game that is suppose to make the player feel a certain way, and the player doesnt feel the way the developer wants them to, they become alienated by the rest of the game, and it breaks immersion. the same can be said for music, movies and TV. comedy and laughter is different because you dont feel comedy. you understand it.

physical comedy is universal which is probably the motivation behind adding things like the dubstep gun and the inflate-o-ray.

so im really looking forward to SR4. my favorite part of SR3 was ****ing around and killing as many pedestrians and cops as i could...enjoying the game's lol factor. SR4 only seems to amplify that. if anything, SR4 looks like Prototype + Just Cause 2 + SR3 + Sleeping Dogs rolled into one game; which will be splendid.

if you look at the mods released for SR3...Volition took the Bethesda route and just dumped the best mods from SR3 into SR4. hypothetically, if the mod community released alot of super realism mods and developed mods that focus on making SR3 more like GTA, i bet SR4 would be steered in that direction instead of becoming more wacky.

with that said...who really gives a shit about a dubsteb gun?

screw you guys...imma go play SR3 and clothesline some pedestrians.

There's a difference between a game making fun of videogames and a game doing that cleverly.

volition is obviously not trying to be clever and coy about it. that is GTA's job.

So how should we react to a game developer being lazy and throwing in a bunch of obvious and retarded ideas into a game that is going to make money off of morons who don't care about supporting developers that are actually trying?

Because I don't think the reactions in this thread are inappropriate, and your reaction to our reactions is the overreaction, if anything.

volition is obviously not trying to be clever and coy about it. that is GTA's job.
There is nothing clever nor coy about GTA anymore. Rockstar and Volition attempt to occupy opposite sides of the "Straightfaced Art <-> Satire" continuum, but fail wholeheartedly, sinking into the castrated-by-execs gaming industry standard of the "Gritty Amoral EthnicFace <-> LOL #SATIRE" continuum.

This is Overplayed Internet Memes: The Game, not a satire. Satire is used to ridicule or criticize the subject in question, not to give people an excuse to keep saying "wub wub wub" in real life.

Hold on, is it a satirical social commentary, or is it a silly fun game that isn't trying to be clever? I'm having trouble figuring out why exactly you like it. Because it's a send-up of games that take themselves too seriously? But then you acknowledge all the games that it ripped off as though that's a good thing, so... I'm so confused.

i never said they are ripping off Prototype, Just Cause 2, SR3, or Sleeping Dogs. theres a difference between ripping off and understanding what works in other titles so you can apply it to your own. its like whenever you write an essay for school and you have to take facts and re interpret them in your own words, or else its plagiarism. case in point...zynga.

have you ever thought that the fact they are being so blunt with their approach could also be a way for them to poke fun at games that take themselves to seriously? rather clever if you look at it in that perspective.

If I want to be entertained by something poking fun at games, I'll watch a video. Not buy a full priced game. I play games to have fun playing them (dynamic, emergent gameplay shines), and/or feel enriched in some way (a great story, setting, thrill ride). This game appears to offer neither for me.

I like it because it is dumb fun.

Why do people hate dumb fun so much? =[

i never said they are ripping off Prototype, Just Cause 2, SR3, or Sleeping Dogs.

No, but I did, at least in Prototype's case.

I just see nothing original or interesting about this whatsoever. But then I really couldn't get behind the direction they took with 3 either, so I guess I'm just not in their demo any more.

If I want to be entertained by something poking fun at games, I'll watch a video.
Or replay A Bard's Tale, the only video game satire of video games that was even remotely good.

I don't like being overpowered in games, there is no thrill in that for me. It's much more satisfying to progress through a game when you're vulnerable and have to be careful with your decisions.

But then I really couldn't get behind the direction they took with 3 either, so I guess I'm just not in their demo any more.

thats completely ok, and im not bashing you for that. im glad you admit that because alot of people just shit on a game because it doesnt peak their interests or its not demo'd for them; and the band wagonning starts. for instance...im a diehard simcity fan. DIE HARD. when the new simcity came out i bashed the shit out of it. then i realized its pretty much sim-facebook-city with a focus on casual gamers playing with each other rather than hardcore gamers playing with them selves. its a "pick up and go" title, not a "pick up and sink 1000 hours into it" title. that is not a bad thing. it just means the game is not my style, and i stopped bashing it.

its even funnier because if anyone played SimCity 2000 Network Edition...you will know where EA got the idea for the new simcity.

Back