Was it all part of the test? (spoilers)

First I thought killing GLaDOS was part of the test and once you passed the final test and killed GLaDOS, she gets rebuilded, hence the new bulbs lighting up at the end of the game. But after reading WeeViL's post I came up with another theory:

Maybe the AI of GLaDOS is build with all the scanned brains of the test subjects which they backup in those white bulbs, making her knowledge very large and her character/personality very varying and weird, but still human in some aspects (humor, sarcasme, she talks about pain and how you broke her heart etc). All those individual brain backups form the AI that is called GLaDOS. Infact maybe when you finally reach the surface you are dead (note that if you die in the games made in the Half-Life universe the viewpoint falls down to the ground like a dead body and your view gets locked, just like a camera falling on the ground. Also exactly what happens at the end of Portal). But since your brain has been scanned and backed up your conscience continues to exist inside one the white bulbs, which you can see at end with the cake. So you do indeed get some cake?

Far fetched:
So since Aperture Science could (extract??) or backup brain scans this would also explain how the Combine recruited overwatch soldiers and stalkers, extracting the human braincontent and use their "dead" bodies as some sort of slaves without conscience. All of this using human technology! They are called the "Combine" for some reason, right?
All the knowledge gathered from the human brains could also have helped the Combine to conquer earth.

I think a major problem here is that GLaDOS lies alot. I mean, she also claimed to know what happened after you die.

The last part with the cake is misleading. It goes with the song and makes you wonder if she's still alive. All those replacement eyes, suddenly reactivating, in a room with a cake. I took it as more of a humorous thing then reality
Agreed, like the appearance of Lamar after the credits in Half-Life 2. What did that have to do with anything after HL2?

Still, I believe we'll see GlaDOS again, aboard the Borealis (though obviously not the same one). The only issue with that is I believe they've now got her VA doing the Overwatch voice for the combine as well.

Maybe the Combine already found her and are using her? :O

Nah, Mossman said that they can tunnel through to Earth, but once here they have to rely on local transportation, as they havent created localed portal tech like Kleiner and Vance did...as far as we know, the only Combine example was at Nova Prospekt, which we destroyed...

The companion cube could have survived for the end scene - recall the flame pit scene where GLaDOS says all AS technology can survive up to 4000k :)

I think everything was a test.
There are enough points that let you believe this.
First all the things you mentioned so far, like the lyrics of the song etc.
Than an other idae i got right now.
Just in the moment you see GlaDOS one Part of her falls down...ehm yeah.
All the other parts of her just comes down if you launch a rocket on them, and even then they are connect by some green light or whatever, oh come on it just can't be that this all just happened by chance.
Say im right =)
I dont thing that anyone came to GlaDOS so far, we where the first one.
I dont know what GlaDOS will do next after she rebuilds herself, but i dont think she will make more tests like this, and she will come up with something new (Portal 2 yay?)

(PS:Sorry for my bad english im just 16 and from another country^^

It's strange that you see no employees at all on your way to GLaDOS. Mabye it was all a test, but blowing up GLaDOS and rebuilding her seems a but too much. Mabye GlaDOS was old technology that Aperture wanted to test and improve. It's all so confusing.

My guess is that it wasn't officially a test. However, that was the entire paradigm in which GLaDOS saw the whole thing. You weren't meant to escape, and the entire behind-the-scenes half of Portal was unplanned. But GLaDOS continued to assess it as an evolving experiment. Destroying her and blowing up a big chunk of Aperture laboratories would have been seen as a disaster by whatever human minds were previously running the place, but GLaDOS was incapable of viewing it as such by the nature of her programming. She saw it as an extended accumulation of recorded data, hence why she assessed it as a resounding success.

True...like how the Combine advisors can read memories, the more data GlaDOS gets, the more she can predict human behaviour under similar circumstances...something dangerous for the human race, regardless of who gets her...

Now that I've seen evidence to suggest that this is set around HL2 time I'm going to change my mind and say this wasn't a test and just a game GLaDOS made cos she's bored (AI's must get bored as well right?)

I was convinced up until you got to GLaDOS's chamber that it was all still a test. The strangely-placed turrets and the occasional bit of strange geometry suggested it was pre-set up to me. By the geometry I mean that after you supposedly break-out there are still occasional bits things like the panels slanted a 45 degrees in order to shoot you upwards under your own momentum present. When I actually started fighting GLaDOS I began to think otherwise and I was convinced once I killed her. Then while I was reading through this forum someone pointed out that GLaDOS, when you are about to be killed by being dumped into a flame pit, says that all Aperture Science equipment can survive the incinerator. Seems a bit weird to have such a huge bang to end a test though (and why the hell would GLaDOS getting destroyed even suck you up like that?)

riomhaire said:
GLaDOS, when you are about to be killed by being dumped into a flame pit, says that all Aperture Science equipment can survive the incinerator.
I think she means the portal gun, not actually bits of her.

The line is supposed to emphasis her utter disregard with human beings compared to the expensive equipment that they're testing. See also: this gun costs more than your entire home town.

Because the spheres that fall off obviously explode when dumped into the incinerator...

I think she means the portal gun, not actually bits of her.

The line is supposed to emphasis her utter disregard with human beings compared to the expensive equipment that they're testing. See also: this gun costs more than your entire home town.
"All Aperture technologies remain safely operational up to 4000 degrees kelvin."

I think people should stay keenly aware of the fact that GlaDOS is an insane liar. Anything she says is dubious.

4000 degrees kelvin is rather a lot. Would smack of hyperbole.

I think people should stay keenly aware of the fact that GlaDOS is an insane liar. Anything she says is dubious.

also, we don't know if she is trying to decieve you or actually knows how you'll respond therefor says things purposely knowing how you'll react to it.

I'm mainly playing devil's advocate with the 4000 kelvin thing. (BTW, I thought thought it's supposed to be kelvin, not degrees kelvin?)

Cunning. Now I'm going to make you look very stupid. HA HA.

Back