We should get Valve to bring back the tau and add more weapons: the Apos proposal

Apos

Tank
Reaction score
I love HL2DM. But I love it mostly because of one thing: the grav gun.

I hate HL2DM. But I hate because of only one thing: the fairly banal weapon selection.

Now, don't get me wrong: the feat of creating a DM where it is balanced enough between grav gun and convetional weapons to be playable using both or either is amazing. HL2DM is a blast to play. But we have to admit that the weapon selection in HL2MP, and indeed in HL2 in general, is pretty lacking (not quite well balanced either: the shotgun's secondary fire needs to be beefed up, and the magnum needs nerfing). And that makes it lack depth.

What needs to come back?

Well, the crowbar obviously, since it has some application as far as whacking physics objects, and is just a classic.

But most important is the tau cannon. Why? Because the tau is what made Hl1 stand out as something more than yet another run and gun DM game.

The tau's two major features were thus:

1) end the reign of campers. The tau could shoot through walls. It could take out L33t players that holed up in one particular area. It was creative and an awesome way to change up gameplay. Without it, magnum/rocketlauncher campers will rule again.
2) tau jumping: you could move across a map at tremendous speeds, which added a whole 'nother layer to the game without making it a l33tfest (since it was so wild and hard to control). With practice, you could become a near god by flying all over the map.

The tau fits into the HL universe. It's creative and different enough to make HL stand out from other games. It fits perfectly into the world of high-speed physics action given that it was Newtonian cool even in HL1. It adds new layers of depth to gameplay. And most of all, it's a proven DM and well balanced weapon (regular fire is okay, and secondary fire while devastating, takes a while to charge up).

I don't know if we should start a petition or what, but the tau needs to come back as a pickupable, carryable, usable weapon. It needs to be put into all the HL2DM maps: including the two that were already released.

My proposal is this: add the tau cannon back into the DM game. Instead of adding a whole nother ammo type, however, have it run off of suit power: if you want to use the tau, you have to sacrifice "armor" power to use it. This gives the charger stations a little more usefulness and also prevents them from having to add too many other ammo types (which does tend to clutter the game). It balances the power of the tau. And it adds back some of the missing depth and creativity in HL2's arsenal.

Now, of course there are other weapon possibilities that could make HL2DM a lot more fun. HL2's weapon selection, again, is sadly sparse and too often very conventional. And the tau is far and away the most important.

But the idea of just adding things via mods is NOT NOT NOT a good solution. Why? Because mods splinter the community. And further, most people will always play the original, official DM. Valve shouldn't wait for the community to improve DM: they should update and improve DM with new ideas and additions. People that likeed the old original DM can easily create THEIR own OGDM mods. But Valve shouldn't hold back on updating the official DM. HL2DM on the lockdown should not be the same two years from now as it is today, two days after its release.

What other weapons should be considered?

I suggest two other major changes for now, in addition to the most important one (the tau proposal above, not including the inevtiable and obvious balance fixes for the shotty and magnum).

1) add in at least one more tactical-type weapon. Tripwire mines were always a novelty, but they could still be a new blast in HL2DM if a) the wires were harder to see (a lot easier with the graphical wow of Source) and b) the damage was less and more radius based so that if you aren't right next to the mine, it doesn't hurt as much (i.e. they are good for killing low health people and setting traps to weaken but not kill stronger opponents, but the hard-to-see wires aren't as cheap) I also wouldn't mind seeing something like the "stickymines" people have described from the leak: gobs of goo you could stick to players and or walls that you could then detonate with secondary fire. This would take the HL1 detpacks into a new world of HL2-sophisticated fun: something creative and more physicsy based.

3) Make crossbow kills more fun. By this, I primarily mean making "pinning" far more common. What makes the crossbow a satisfying weapon is the idea that you can "pin" someone to something, usually the wall. Currently, however, given the fast pace of DM, this rarely ever happens, and the crossbow basically just becomes another magnum (boring, conventional, one hit-kill bullet-type weapon). To change this, getting hit with a crossbow bolt should send a ragdolled body flying along with the bolt to a much higher degree than it does currently, making having a ragdoll pinned to a wall be much more common and attainable feat. This would leave the map much more commonly littered with bodies pinned to walls, which would be hella cool to see while running around. And it would give the crossbow some missing life and personality beyond yet another simple one-hit killl weapon.

Let's recap the key points of my proposal:
1) Official HL2DM should evolve and improve, including all the old maps. We are in a Steam-new-world now, not the "HL1DM is the same as the day it was released" era. The official version is always the most important.
2) The tau needs to come back, working mostly the same but using suit "armor" power for ammo. The current weapon selection is lacking, and the tau changes things up enough and adds creative depth of play without being too overpowered.
3) Valve should at least consider other weapon additions/changes in order to make the weapon selection in HL2 more diverse and set it apart. The gravity gun just cannot carry the entire burden of revolutionary gameplay: the rest of the arsenal has to catch up as well.

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!!!!

Admittedly I was against you for most of that, mainly because tau jumping players ruled the skies, striking you from above and then retreating away fast as they could to the nearest health pack once they were near death. I remember one instance where this guy at Bounce just would not die; he had the whole server after him. :LOL:

But using the suit's armor as ammo instead of using energy packs is a great idea, and that'd reduce the "cheapness" of the tau cannon. Tau jumpers would need to be more considerate of their armor, obviously having to weigh the risk of taking a lot more damage without armor than with, which would prevent them from bouncing around all over the place like Gummi Bears on speed.

Crowbar needs to come back. Tripmines need to come back. Either sticky grenades or satchel packs should make a return, simply because you could pile some physics objects on top of a satchel charge and detonate when people came near. The ultimate trap.

The thing I want to see return the most though, more than anything else, is the hornet gun. Best weapon, IMO. The most perfect, symbiotic alien weaponry that outstrips any mere human weapon. Super deadly alien bees swarming the opponent, homing in on him and stinging him to death. I wrote a funny guide to using the hornet gun awhile ago for a gamesite called Gotlag.com; I need to see if I still have that. It wasn't very PC, though, hehe. It was called, "Guide to Being a Bee Fag."

Well, I wouldn't particularly mind the hornet gun, though it doesn't really fit the theme of HL2 (i.e., there are no alien grunts in HL2 at all, and there is at least one tau cannon, even if it is buggy mounted) and frankly I'm mostly indifferent to it.

However, while we can argue over what SPECIFIC weapons we'd like to see either return or come new to the franchise, I think the major point is that there need to be a wider range of more creative and innovative weapons added to the OFFICIAL DM mode to make sure it is fresh and has a long lifetime. The tau is just what I think is the best example of something that gave the game some significant depth and innovation that's lacking from HL2DM outside of the still admittedly quite amazingly wonderful gravity gun.

Definatly want the tau cannon, its just to good. Altho some aspects of maps get me worried, they are alot diffrent that the smooth surfaced walls of HL1, now you have pipes sticking out of walls and alot of area's to get stuck in.

But I agree, tau must come back, it was great.

Yeah I also like the ideas, I would love to see trip mines and satchel charges and of course also the CROWBAR!

I think stickymines are a good replacement for satchels since they both fit the alien theme, the improved physics, and are a bit more versatile as weapons.

Yeah, I felt naked without my crowbar :naughty:

Apart from that, the main weapon I miss is the satchel charge. Always good for a trap (and even more so with physics capabilities now), and failing that, a fun way to relieve boredom with hilarious suicides. :smoking:

I would like to see these changes:
1. tau (gauss): It's a MUST :)
2. stronger shotgun and bow
3. weaker magnum
3. satchels, mines and crowbar
4. lj (longjump)
5. ability to run all the time

-->faster gameplay and more funny ways to kill eachother

what we don't need from hl1 in my opinion:
1. gluon
2. bees
3. a3d :)

The crossbow reload time is too slow, as the bullet speed is so slow that it's kinda useless, especially compared to the magnum which:
a) has 6 ammo in a clip, so it fires faster
b) kills enemies in 1 shot anyway
c) instantly hits the enemy, so you don't have to aim ahead of them/miss

Shotgun is definately too weak, and magnum is definately too strong - you CAN kill people on 100 health with body-shots.

I'm of two minds about the tau - yes it was good for jumping and for killing campers, but you also got tau-whores would just use only the tau for the entire game, jumping so fast you couldn't hit them while 1-hit killing other people constantly, often several at a time and even behind walls (worst I saw was 5 people being killed through 2 walls).

If you made it tied to suit armor (at similar ammo reqs to HL1 - ie a full charge is 10-12 armor) then I think it'd be a fairly fair weapon.

The tau cannon does however make level design trickier as you have to ensure people can't access parts they shouldn't and get stuck etc.

The Hivehand was a great weapon to use while underwater and to kill snarks, but other than that it wasn't that great.

I think there need to be fewer physics objects and/or have the GG require Aux energy to grap/shoot objects. It's a bit crazy right now.

I also think the start weapons should be the same as HL1 - pistol (remove the rapid-fire that is currently possible and make it an alt-fire like HL1 was) and crowbar only. The SMG right now is a bit too inaccurate and weak and making it a pickup only would allow you to easily increase its power.

Personaly, I don't have to much problems with the magnum. Its hard to aim and you ge frustrated with it easely, its just a nice survival weapon when your in a tigh spot, nothing more. I dont feel owned when there is someone with a magnum trying to kill me. hold shift and strafe so he cant hit you, wait untill he reloads and kill him. Thats all!. We really need a tau cannon, the manipulator is used a bit to much at the moment so we really need some other weapons to balance it out.

Tau, and lazer mines. and maby some faster bolts, cuz the crossbow is useles

i think i was quite shocked to see no crowbar in DM!!!! its like, WHAT?! they took away the "life" of "half"...kinda thing :p anyway, they should defs put a melee weapon into the fray, be cool.

These are all wonderful ideas.

Bring back the things we loved about HLDM Valve!!!

I will forever be your slave!

HL2DM definately was lacking without the crowbar. I cant tell you how many times I was reactively keying for my melee weapon, and got the gravity gun. x.x It pissed me off so much that I went and played DoD for a few hours instead.

Yeap. We need a petition for this. Tau cannon & crowbar are a must-have and those hidden satchel charges sound fun too :)

I agree that the Gauss should return but I don't think it should use the suit's power as ammo. I don't see why a special case scenario has to be made of weapon that really isn't that powerful, especially when compared to something like the RPG.

Yes, the secondary fire is one shot kill, but that's no different from the Magnum or Crossbow. And this really is a one shot affair.

But if it needs balancing why not just regulate the ammo? That is the effect of your original proposal.

The crowbar could be used to repel toilets and other crap flinged at your ass.

Apos i pretty much agree with everything u have said so far in this thread.
the lack of creative weapons in HL2DM does make it a little bland honestly.

anyone who has played OP4 MP knows how fun and creative DM can be especially with weapons like the spore launcher and displacer gun.. and how could we forget the wrench? :p

edit: theres no snarks in HL2DM :(
i didn't find the rocket launcher either.. hmm..did i just miss them? :(

I'm 50/50 on the tripmines, but I would love to see the Tau Cannon back. It was even in the 'beta' - they threw the code out!

yeah...even the satchel sacks didn't even make it into the final game :(
i hope Valve pple are reading this thread.. there are alot of good ideas here.

P.S. i feel naked without the crowbar :(

Lanthanide said:
The crossbow reload time is too slow, as the bullet speed is so slow that it's kinda useless..

I think they should keep the crossbow as it is, keep it as more of a 'humiliation' kill if you like.

yes but a sniping weapon is needed...and crossbow was alwaysmore original than a rifle....beef up the crossbow - make the bolts faster, and tone down the magnum a bit....

altho i love owning with the magnum - you have to be so accurate

add:
Tau Cannon
tripmines
and the crowbar
:D

wow with that and more model/maps ,best dm game ever
:afro:

I agree with many of the little balancing changes, but I don't think they are very important, because I think Valve will make those changes anyway. Balancing is a traditionally something that official mods get. And that's the problem: they get ONLY balancing, but rarely ever do new weapons get added, especially to older maps. Yet, that's exactly what we need here. We need the tau back. We need similarly creative and innovative weapons that changeup gameplay. And we need them added to overhaul even these two original maps.

Major change requests:
1) Tau comes back. I still think using suit power is a good way to limit the "eternal bouncy" tauers: their mobility comes at a price, and we don't have to get too complicated with extra ammo types and so forth
2) Crowbar comes back: it's just a classic, and we need a meelee weapon anyway
3) Consider the addition of stickymines and/or tripwires: something tactical

I would be OK with these changes to now-being weapons. But alas, I do not agree with adding new weaponry EXCEPT the Crowbar which I agree with. Why? Because we'd probably end up with whiners saying "why is gauss gun in hl2dm and not in hl2?/??/??" and it wouldn't make sense.

It is in HL2. It's mounted on the buggy. And it's part of the HL universe. And anyway, you don't need weapons to be in SP to be in the DM?

They should add more models too, such as Gordon, G-Man, Alyx etc.

Bugbait would be good too, even if only on certain maps such as lockdown, although I'd prefer to see the return of snarks.

I think the models are in part because they want to stick to the Combine vs resistance theme, which is fine by me. Breen isn't a soldier :)

You can spawn antlions in deathmatch, but currently they have no AI, and the bugbait isn't available even with impulse 101. I think it would be pretty cool though. But I wouldn't mind the reappearance of snarks either. I do wonder why lockdown has holes that you can blow open but then can't go down inside.

now that i think about it, trip mines might be a problem...

in HL if you placed a trip mine on an object and moved it, it would explode. in HL2 people could just place a trip mine on any object, someone comes to pick it up and boom!

now i can imagine that some of you might think that it would be tactical or funny or cool or w/e but i think that after a while. it would just become annoying...

an easy way to prevent that is not allowing trip mines to be placed on physics objects :D

dunno, your ragdolls do, but thats all

edit: was a reply to apos post bout the antlion holes

Thadius Dean said:
now that i think about it, trip mines might be a problem...

in HL if you placed a trip mine on an object and moved it, it would explode. in HL2 people could just place a trip mine on any object, someone comes to pick it up and boom!

now i can imagine that some of you might think that it would be tactical or funny or cool or w/e but i think that after a while. it would just become annoying...

an easy way to prevent that is not allowing trip mines to be placed on physics objects :D

But the trip mine would most likely explode on the side that you can't see and are thus protected from by the object itself. So, in fact, I DO think that it would be tactical/funny/cool. :)

^and thats what everyone would do...

so you would have a bunch of exploding objects everwhere.

i dono i might be fun. i just wouldnt find it very amusing when im in a battle with someone, so i go to pick up a sink and it explodes in my face.

Back