Weekly Steam Update (16/09/05)

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
VALVe know that we’re all drooling in anticipation for the September 26th release of the long awaited Day of Defeat: Source, and they’re continuing to build the hype with this week’s Steam news. It begins by revealing that the multiplayer shooter will debut at 3:00pm US Pacific time; that’s 11:00pm in the UK (If your time zone is different, you can compare times here). It goes on to announce that a Source engine update is just around the corner, which will bring things up to scratch in preparation for DoD:S. Finally, we’re presented with pictures of two gritty soldiers, each caught on opposite sides of the war:

[br]
1126915009_axissn.jpg
[br]To see the full update, click here, or restart Steam.

coolies, I know a buddy of mine is really into DoD. This should get him exited.

German looks awesome. God I love those helmets.

That 98k looks extremely sexy. The soldier even has a proper shooting stance. Can't wait! :D

looking good, god help the steam servers when this bad boy is released. By the way, anyone pre-order this off steam in the UK? is it cheap? I heard £15including VAT?

simply amazing. im going to love this game.

Don't know why they keep showing bazookas, I rarely see them in use. :LOL:

Maybe they're gonna actually cause some proper splash damage now? :p

By the way, anyone pre-order this off steam in the UK? is it cheap? I heard £15including VAT?

I've got it pre-ordered. It was, like, $19 or something which is just a wee bit more than £10. Low price for what will be an awesome game tbh! If you're gonna get it, may as well now. Pre-ordering gets you a discount. Once the game is out, that discount won't be in effect for those wanting to buy the game!

I'm with you vageta, i mean the whole model looks sweet, but those helmets... So shiney and all :)

Soooo looking forward.

Suicide42 said:
VALVe know that we’re all drooling in anticipation for the September 26th release of the long awaited Day of Defeat: Source, and they’re continuing to build the hype with this week’s Steam news. It begins by revealing that the multiplayer shooter will debut at 3:00pm US time; that’s 11:00pm in the UK (If your time zone is different, you can compare times here). It goes on to announce that a Source engine update is just around the corner, which will bring things up to scratch in preparation for DoD:S. Finally, we’re presented with pictures of two gritty soldiers, each caught on opposite sides of the war:

[br]
1126915009_axissn.jpg
[br]To see the full update, click here, or restart Steam.
Nice news post, but one pet peeve of mine is when people say US TIME just so you guys know, there are 6(Six) different times zones in the U.S.A Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, Hawaii. The time zone valve goes by is Pacific. Sorry...

Yea the US time thing is quite annoying, as most of us are not west coast. Valve goes by pacific time.

haha that's great that they included a link to a time conversion website.

spaulding said:
I wonder why the models look so terrible?

While I agree they look a little plain ( most notably the Allied ), you can count on a good number of reskins coming out within a week or so of release. I wouldn't stress it.

Pesmerga said:
no shit sherlock. That's an amazing conclusion. It also looks ordinary compared to http://www.classofoods.com/fotos/F muffin 01.jpg

Are you drunk, stoned or just stupid? Possibly all of the above. Do you have a point to your comment or do you get off on posting random crap?

Point i was trying to make, dispite Valve's effort to now improve DoD's art, it still looks freaking dull.

Buveed said:
Remember kids, put vaseline on all your clothes before you go into battle!

Ever heard of rain? Ever heard of fog? Ever heard of dew? Do you know what water is?

Do your clothes turn into Seran Wrap when they get wet? 'Cus mine just get wet and clingy and dark. Not phosphorescent.

Feuyaino said:
Do your clothes turn into Seran Wrap when they get wet? 'Cus mine just get wet and clingy and dark. Not phosphorescent.

Thank you, intelligence springs in even the most idiotic of environments.

And, UnderTOW, despite your obvious desensitization of graphics, DoD and presumably the Source conversion have amazing artwork and animations, supported by a very ambient environment (with the inclusion of HDR).

But you're right, WWII soldiers did indeed wax their clothing to make it slippery for German troops to grab onto them.

But you're right, WWII soldiers did indeed wax their clothing to make it slippery for German troops to grab onto them.

lol *thinks of family guy episode where at company picknic they grease that naked guy up and they have to catch him but he's really slippery

Those models look like someones lubed them up they are so shiny. Shiny helmets I can understand, but shiny pants.....I'm not so sure. Also, and contary to popular myth, it doesn't rain everyday in Europe or is dew ever present.

Yea i don't know what it is with source games and having to have lots of stuff "shiny" to make it look better. Also as for being wet, it was d-day and there was probably water and all kinds of crap splashing everywhere. But it is still excessively shiny.

Hey, I was just coming to comment on the nice choice of LOD for the models. Very well styled considering the lower polycount; think someone's a little green, wishing they could push verts like that. I bet they'll be enviously animated as well.

Was a bit odd clicking that zone converter link & getting mine there at the top; actually convenient being west coast for once, here in Valve country no less.

So-close-yet-so-far.

Yes not a bad time, its going on 9PM GMT, thats means ive got 1-2 hours to play it on release day:bounce:

Pauly said:
Nice news post, but one pet peeve of mine is when people say US TIME just so you guys know, there are 6(Six) different times zones in the U.S.A Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, Hawaii. The time zone valve goes by is Pacific. Sorry...

Changed to US Pacific. Sorry.

Oh, and for everyone who's complaining that VALVe don't have enough time to make a state of the art, dynamic textured masterpiece: this is only a conversion to source. It's only £10. CoD 2 is going to be released months, maybe years later than DoD:S and will be priced at a full £40.

I'm sure you wont be noticing the models while your planting a bullet in their face.

DOD (original) is damn fun to play, check those models out :upstare:

Can't say i can't wait, because i can. (this preloading is really fast though :p )
I played dod since 1.1 so honestly i'm not too excited about about playing the same old, same old. The screenshots that have been released are rather terrible (not Valves strongpoint i'll admit). Hence why i'm waiting for lost coast to see what Source can really do.

I prefer the simple look of the player models, I think they're great. The screenshots look fine too. Definately looking forward to playing DOD Source.

Will DoD:S be awailable in stores before 25th Septemper ?
...and,...
will it be a standalone produkt in stores or will it shiped with CSS or something else?

I'm pretty sure they said that you can buy it packaged with CS:S. I don't think they've said anything else, so I'd assume that's it.

Suicide42 said:
Oh, and for everyone who's complaining that VALVe don't have enough time to make a state of the art, dynamic textured masterpiece: this is only a conversion to source. It's only £10. CoD 2 is going to be released months, maybe years later than DoD:S and will be priced at a full £40.
he makes a good point. plus, i really, really like the models as they are. they look very lifelike to me. i especially like the shading around the eyes of the german under his helmet.

Suicide42 said:
VALVe know that we’re all drooling in anticipation for the September 26th release of the long awaited Day of Defeat: Source

I don't give a **** about this game

I want Aftermath and Lost Coast

this shows how much they rushed css. these characters look nice. look better the nregular hl2 citizens.

i love ww2 stuff, if dod had an sp game in it i would actually prolly get it

Back