What do i need to make mods?

S

[silver]777

Ive wanted to make a mod for the sorce engin for some time.
and have done so useing the UnReal engin's editor.
but I can't find any information anywhere about any editor for HL2
and I don't know what programs I need or where to find them.
any help out there?

Download the SDK through steam and learn from interlopers.com and the valve developers wiki

[silver]777 said:
but I can't find any information anywhere about any editor for HL2
and I don't know what programs I need or where to find them.
any help out there?

You didn't really look very hard, did you?

Yeah with the SDK you can use Hammer to do level editing. You might find it harder than Unreal though, I know I had a hard time switching over.

PS. SixThree I love your avatar.

I don't even get it. Isn't that the constant value of molarity or something?

Hello, my name is Paul Weine and I am the senior resident tenured designated mod development FAQ consult here on these forums. I'm happy to report that I am going to be holding some mod development lectures at the University of Wisconsin later this May, more detail to arrive in the following weeks. They'll go through the basic principles of modding and modding accessories as well as provide an introductory mod development session for students who wish to take it to another level. I'm currently putting together my material and I am happy to let you know that these lectures will be put up online so you'll be able to find them off a download site sometime in the summer, right when there is enough free time for mod development amongst students. I've decided to type up a short document detailing the processes involved in starting out a basic mod. It's not enough to actually go through and finish a first-rate total conversion like some of the bigger names out there but it's enough to let a beginner get out his bottom and get working.

Paul's Mod Introductory Guide.http://developer.valvesoftware.com/http://developer.valvesoftware.com/http://developer.valvesoftware.com/http://developer.valvesoftware.com/

1. Designing a Mod.

The first thing a mod developer must do is to thoroughly design their mod. This provides a goal and aim for the developers to reach. With each goal and aim reached, you are further closer to your release date. This also removes the possibility of extraneous features that just destroy any chances that your mod will be released any time soon. Put out or she'll break up with you. It's the best thing to do in these kinds of relationships. Seriously, if you don't give in to her perverted and horny sexual desires, you'll be a virgin for life. If you're as ugly and fat as you say you are, the only way you'll ever have sex is if you be a sex slave. I mean, look at her. She's funny and smart and sexy and she's everything that I could ever want. If you don't want her, I'll gladly step as you are way out of her league. How the hell did you even get her to even talk to you? It just doesn't seem right unless you guys were talking about classwork...but the **** did it lead to a intense and hot make-out session. What the ****ing **** is up with this goddamn world?

2. Building a Mod.

To build a mod, it is suggested that you hire mostly level designers and artists. This is due to the fact that models can easily be finalized before everything else is finished. You do not need more than a handful of coders. One should be enough in most cases as coders understand their code better. Sound guys are amazingly hard to find so just keep your eye out for her. She might be leading you into an emotional trap. If she starts avoiding you watch out for that emotional dramabomb out of goddamn God knows where. This women keep their emotional baggage all ****ing tied up and it makes me so ****ing ANGRY that they have to shit us around like that. All girls are ****ing sluts, they have to **** around with their mixed reactions and shit. Have you ever seen what some of these bitches do? They'll ****ing gut you, rip out your heart, and leave you to rot in the middle of the street. They always have to stir up drama.

3. Testing a Mod.

Once a mod is fully completed content wise, you can be sure to note that they will be several bugs that will hinder, if not completely disallow, gameplay. Mods must rigorously test out their products before releasing. Otherwise, the public will receive nothing but an unplayable version of your hard work. Some major issues that have plagued mods in the past are bandwidth issues mainly due to the fact that there is a lot of extra data being sent back and forth. So you read her emails huh? Well, it's obvious she's cheating with this ****ing jackass. He probably pops his damn collar. You know what you have to do in situations like these. You've got to ****ing sever. That's right, end all contact with the bitch. Take all her stuff and pack it into boxes outside your apartment. Change the locks so she can't get in. You don't want her in. Don't worry about the first few days, weeks, months, years. If you keep your mind on her, you'll only feel worse. She's just another girl and there's tons of fish in the sea. You should have listened to my advice. You knew she was keeping some kind of terrible secret from you, but did you break up with her? No, you didn't. What's your goddamn problem? Don't let these girls fool around with your mind. Just relax, we'll go have a night on the town. Drinks are on me.

4. Releasing a Mod.

Now the day has finally come, your mod is in top condition and no more bugs can be found. Here comes that last final home stretch. Congratulate yourself. You worked long and hard on this project and now it's finally going to see the light of day. Be sure to notify all major news sites and upload the mod installation files to several mirrors so you don't get hammered with download requests. Sit back and relax for a few days, don't read the comments for your mod yet. There's bound to be some asshole who always has to flame your work. However, you must remember that checking your mod's bug reports is very important. Set up a public bug tracker and pick out the major yet easy-to-fix problems first. Release this bug-fixing patch early on so that everyone can enjoy your mod. Remember that a good mod releases new versions rapidly in order to respond to feedback as well as possible. Be happy to know that is was I that she cheated on with. Yep, that's right, your closest friend since junior high. What ****ing now bitch? I've got your girl, I've got your cash, and I've got your apartment. That's what you get for ****ing with me and not paying attention to your woman. It's your fault that you lost her. No one would ever want to be with you anyway. Goodjob bitch. I ****ing win.

:LOL:

Shens dropped the emo bomb!

/dives for cover from the shards of melancholy and anguish

Back