What happens when financial aid screws up?

ShadowArmy

Reaction score
I had a new source of financial aid applied to my package in the middle of the year. So now the University owes me about 500 dollars. I submitted a refund request form almost a month ago and still don't see an increase of 500 something dollars in my account statement/recent activity. Yet my Uni billing statement claims that the refund was applied. If I go to the office to complain (a week or two from now) will they expect me to show proof, like a bank statement?

I had a similar thing happen to me. They charged me for the wrong meal plan and I changed it to a smaller, $550 cheaper one. If you don't request it, by law they have to refund it to you (or who paid the bill don't remember) OR you can request to have it remain on your account (which is what I did.) Who paid the bill? If its your parents check and see if they got a check mailed to them.

You can take a copy of your bank statement just in case they ask (I assume it was supposed to be direct-deposit?). If they sent a check and you didn't get it, you might be able to request they void the first one and send a new one -- they should be able to see that the check wasn't cashed.

I actually had the reverse problem. Fellowship money was sent to my school and treated as a tuition overpayment, resulting in my getting a $14,000 check. So I had to write them back a $14,000 check. Which I've already done, so don't come looking for me trying to rob me or anything, 'cause now I'm poor again.

As far as I can imagine you will probably need to show them a bank statement.

But be very sure and look very carefully - I had a big old runaround with Paypal once for not depositing £40 in my bank account. In fact, the sum had been deposited much earlier than I thought, amidst loads of other transactions, and I'd simply missed it.

Back