What Has happened to the Oceans?

Reaction score
I know that something has caused the ocean to dry up in certain places but I was wondering why this has happened? Does Raising the Bar have any info on the subject?

They did it to be more suitable for habitation.

By they I mean the combine.

By combine I mean the Synth.

Raising the Bar says something about giant portal drains.

I'd imagine water would be a fairly valuable commodity, seeing as how the hydrogen can be used in fusion to produce energy.

The Combine couldn't have drained too much water from the Oceans since the 7 Hours War.
The tide isnt too far back from the shore. It would take hundreds of years to completely drain Earth of water. Not very efficient. :|

French Ninja said:
The Combine couldn't have drained too much water from the Oceans since the 7 Hours War.
The tide isnt too far back from the shore. It would take hundreds of years to completely drain Earth of water. Not very efficient. :|

...What?

There are no portal drains, that was a cut idea. I suppose its the Combine doing it, although, it hasn't moved back that far at all really so it could just be the state of the planet.

A drop in water levels by a couple of meters across the whole surface of the planet represents a hell of a lot of water being lost.

My calculations indicate roughly 715682522815994 metres cubed.

don't combine have to eat? maybe they just filter masses of ocean water and get out all that yummy seafood. mmm...

I think Valve simply wanted to give a nostalgic view of the place. "Look, the ships are rusty and old... Abandoned on the dry seashore... The Combine has forbided vehicles, including ships... So there they are. Left to rust." There's no reasonal explanation for this. Unless it's used for fuel as suggested earlier, which sounds good.

If anything though MORE life has been added to the ocean considering the number of Xen speicies that have been introduced to the world.

Automatic Kafka said:
If anything though MORE life has been added to the ocean considering the number of Xen speicies that have been introduced to the world.
That killed off the old ones.

In an alternate HL2 (I mean it was an idea for HL2 that never happened) Eli said the Combine were draining the seas. But that's only in Raising the Bar and not the game.

Water is the basic thing that life needs to exist. The combine are travelling around and came to earth and are then about to use up all it's resources. What do we have an abundance off? Water! I'd call that a resource.

One question: Where would the combine put 71 squillion gallons of water? And why move it in the fist place, earth would be the ideal place to store it. They could just take what they needed.

Plus, Alyx said the combine used 'dark matter' reactors, at least in the citidel. Plus they obviously have some experiance with Zero Point energy, so I doubt 'fusion fuel' was a big plus to them.

Besides, 99.9% of the known universe is composed of hydrogen. Its not exactly scarce.

I've never really bought the drained oceans thing, since all the references were cut. Could be low tide?

jabberwock95 said:
One question: Where would the combine put 71 squillion gallons of water? And why move it in the fist place, earth would be the ideal place to store it. They could just take what they needed.

Plus, Alyx said the combine used 'dark matter' reactors, at least in the citidel. Plus they obviously have some experiance with Zero Point energy, so I doubt 'fusion fuel' was a big plus to them.

Besides, 99.9% of the known universe is composed of hydrogen. Its not exactly scarce.
What about in other universes?

Mr.Magnetichead said:
Yeah we have interdimensional beings, zombies, giant robots, gravity guns, biomechanical tanks and teleportation but thats just way too scifi. :rolleyes:
Correction. Not interdimensional, but interplanetary. And not robots, but Synths. :upstare:

You really need to pay attention.

1. Xen is not another planet. It's another dimensional. The portals are interdimensional rifts.

2. So DOG/Scanners/Manhacks are synth are they? Well shit I guess I missed that part of the story.

I think Valve intended the scanners to be a kind of synth, but you're otherwise right on both those points.

I'm not talking about the scanners that drop Hoppers, I'm talking about the normal 'big metal flower petal faced AGGH MY EYES THEY BURN' kind of scanners.

I still think there might be no reason for the low water level. It might be that Valve decided to stop giving meanings and reasons behind everything and let it go for once. Or maybe not?

Back