What is your opinion on handheld consoles?

Shem

The Freeman
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think about handheld game consoles like the Nintendo DS. They seem to be pretty popular since almost everyone that I know has one and a collection of games to go with it. I think there is also something called 'PictoChat' for the Nintendo DS where friends can chat with each other within a short distance. I'd just like to know if they're any good or not.

Thanks.

Pictochat is just a feature you'll probably never use. The DS is a fantastic console though.

They're great if you have a long commute or travel often.

I have a DS with a flashcart, in the first 2 months I played it to death and used lots of homebrew, but after that I hardly ever used it again, except to try out interesting games like GTA:CW(which was rather disappointing)
Luckily it isn't completely useless now, my mom still uses it every day to play Brain Traning :)

They are fun. Since I never travel anywhere, they get little to no use....but, eh. Good to have on a rainy day, I guess.

The DS is pretty great, but I don't care for the PSP.

I used to have a DS but with my PSP I play it every day at work on my breaks with friends and mostly by myself. A lot of people are so bored in the breakroom they often crowd around and either watch me play a game or watch a few episodes of South Park with me.

Not a huge traveller, but I do play a few DS games whilst lounging around the house. My friend is living in my house whilst her landlord sorts out the water damage in her ceiling, and she's played Professor Layton from beginning to end, and a sizeable chunk of Final Fantasy III since she's been here. Another friend has my copy of Yoshi's Island DS in her boyfriend's mum's DS. And the DS is the only games console not owned by me in my extended family (my sister has one, pretty much with the games the adverts tell you to get if you're a 30-something young mother).

Girls like the DS then, and with good reason. Haven't played any spectacular games yet though.

Oh, I have a flashcart. I only use it for homebrew apps, teeny-tiny video files and a fan translation of Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary though.

I've never really found a point for one. When I was in high school, I'd bring my Gameboy in and play some Pokemon Gold during class, but other than that, I've never really felt that I needed a DS or anything else.

Once I got my iPod Touch, I was set. It had enough tiny, basic games that could keep the attention of anyone. The one main reason I wanted a PSP was for the internet. Other than that, I found no use for a handheld. I sold me iPod Touch about a month ago and don't regret it.

I like provolone cheese.

I play my DS a fair bit still. There's always a couple of games on the horizon that interest me. Scribblenauts will be my next purchase.

I just cant see myself sitting in my apartment playing one when I have a computer and a 360 here. The only time I would really use it would be when I'm doing laundry.

laundromat's suck krynn, get yourself a washer and dryer.

gamegear.jpg

It still hurts ;(

Game Gear?

Streets of Rage - Kicking people in the face with roller-skates? You'll never see this kind of awesome again, my friends.

The only handheld console i've had and still have is the Gameboy Color. Never play it anymore though.

The PSP Go comes out on Thursday but looks really dumb. why the hell would you not add a second analog stick by now! its dumb tbh. although i like my PSP 3000

GBC/GBA is where its at man.

Regardless of what you perfer personally though, they are great for long journeys (be it in a car, train, boat, plane).

The PSP Go comes out on Thursday but looks really dumb. why the hell would you not add a second analog stick by now! its dumb tbh. although i like my PSP 3000

Yeah, I read about the PSP Go while I was browsing the Best Buy website, looking at all the new products coming out. It's quite expensive - around $250 dollars - but what do you expect?

Oh, that's a Game Gear? I freaking loved that thing. I can only remember like two games for it though.

I get a free PSP 3000 Rock Band bundle in the mail Tuesday, along with a Wii. So I guess I'll wait to give my opinion :)

Loved the Game Gear :) (until my little brother dropped it off the balcony :()

One of the reasons there are so many damn gameboys sold compared to the nes( almost double). Shit happens to the little buddies

Awwww, little buddy is the cutest nick to give it. Also nerdiest.

I think theyre a fairly decent time-passer if youre on a train or plane, or cant be arsed to talk to your parents if youre in the car travelling for a few hours.

I had a PSP a few months after it came out, and got rid of it a few months later as I simply wasnt using it enough.

To me, theyre only worth it if you travel alot.

I've had my old DS Tank for quite a while, although the hinge cracked after a little while. The top half completely snapped off during an intense Advance Wars(fav DS game) match last summer. I didn't really play it all too often, but we had a good run ='[

There's a few days at the beginning of each marking period where we just sit on the bleachers and do nothing in P.E., so I'd bring it in then and have a round of AW then. I'd also play it during really long car rides, or when I went over my cousin's house. Other than that, I'd just stick to my pc games.
I'm considering buying Chrono Trigger DS since I never beat the original, and just borrow my sister's.

I'm also meandering my way through Pokemon Red on my old GBC lol.

I have a DS, an old PSP and a new PSP. I also have an iPhone which should be considered a portable gaming device by everyone. I love them all, but the DS is easily my favorite though as the games are just incredible. I have to say that the iPhone is quickly becoming a serious challenger as well thanks to some mighty fine offerings of gaming awesomeness on the App Store.

Awwww, little buddy is the cutest nick to give it. Also nerdiest.

I wuv you deathy

but really the only truly portable gaming device is cellphones, mostly the iphone, because no matter where you are you will have it on hand. Traffic shitty or between classes, its there. I only bring my psp on trips or around the house for psx games.

I bought the 3000 before they came up with that hen that doesnt touch flash 0( no bricking) and didnt want to risk it. The thing just collected dust for months until i could put nes roms etc. on it and now its enormously enjoyable. Yeah I know its wrong to but it doesnt have many other uses.

Back