What's taking so long?

O

ordog

Ach! I crave multiplayer mods for HL2!

I could play any dumb thing, even snow wars, or somthing simple like that. What's taking so long? Is it so hard to develop that NO ONE has come up with a MP mod yet? jeez. Maybe I've missed one... I hope so .... garry's mod does not count.

Go make one yourself then; find out how "easy" they really are. :p The game has only been out two months, get some patience. :)

Because it takes a lot of time and effort to deliver a polished mod into the public's greedy little claws.

quit talking shit. I never said it was easy. I said it's taking a long time. I tried my hand at modding on HL1. It's not unreasonable to say that someone could have cranked out SOMTHING by now.

Negative.

The current SDK codewise is very very bare, you think someone can crank 1 out you do it.

that's the problem. I'm getting old while modders polish. Zombie panic isn't polished, svencoop wasn't polished into very recently, brainbread is unpolished, Ozzdeathmatch didn't even try to be polished. Everyone wants to make the next CS, some big ass, elaborate, full conversion. Not necessary. I am confident someone could have made SOMTHING- even if it's the fart mod or somthing totally stupid by now.

ordog said:
that's the problem. I'm getting old while modders polish. Zombie panic isn't polished, svencoop wasn't polished into very recently, brainbread is unpolished, Ozzdeathmatch didn't even try to be polished. Everyone wants to make the next CS, some big ass, elaborate, full conversion. Not necessary. I am confident someone could have made SOMTHING- even if it's the fart mod or somthing totally stupid by now.

alot of modders are out to make something of themselves with these mods. Their not just pass times anymore.

It's only been 3 months, i'd rather wait for something decent than have 30 crap games.

EDIT that's the thing, noone want's to make a retarted mod like 'Fart Mod'

ordog said:
honestly, you keep saying SOMETHING coulda been shit out by now. Nobody wants to release a mod that just wastes they time by redoing a few things. If a moder wants to do something with a MOD, they will do something that will impress others. MODS are a way to show off skills in a way, not to create farts....as everybody else has said, make your own and stop complaining

1) fart mod could be fun
2) Making games should come before making a name for yourself
3) anyone who is concerned with "skills" is a dumbass, pure and simple, and futhermore, if you are trying to show off your skills, guess what? you don't have them. This is proof positive of the negative things that have happened to the gaming industry- too many people waving their dicks around, not enough people having fun.
4) What about ozz death match?
or whatever happened to strider mod? it was supposed to go MP

Just because changes are small DOESN'T mean they arn't fun. You could make conceivably minor alteration to the engine and alter the game entirley. Someone could take the grav gun and make mod out of that. Some of the simplest mods have proven to be extremely popular, two examples would be svencoop (which started out real simple) and OzzDM.
Most everyone is out to make the mod of the century, few can. Mod teams fall apart constantly. I gauruntee you MOST of these mods we see on the news screens now will never see the light of day. We are going to wait six months- maybe longer- to get Svencoop2, DoD:S and handfull of CS rip offs. I'm waiting for someone with the balls to make somthing that's NOT ambitious, but IS fun- like snark racers (that was a mod for hl1 if you remember), or snow wars. Too many people want to make halo- not enough want to make pikmin.

1) fart mod could be fun

For a minute.

Wait until Monday, Strider mod's going to be MP by then.

Yea...

Source racer and an alpha version of Weapons Factory hl2 ( Basicallly CTF with modified weapons at the moment, still fun though ) have been realeased.

To get source racer do a search at hl2files.com.

ordog said:
1) fart mod could be fun

True, but i'm not 10 yrs old anymore.

ordog said:
2) Making games should come before making a name for yourself

Yeah, but people llike putting out some quality. I love planning my stuff before i dive into the deep end in developing. It just makes things that much easier, knowing where you're going to go you know? If you don't plan well, you loose sight of what you want to do.

That's how one of my projects became big and failed (it wasn't a game). I didn't pkan ahead enough, and started adding different things as i went on. It got to the stage where i was adding stuff when i was nearly ready for a release because i forgot to add somethign stupid (customrers wern't that happy either).
If you don't plan you're just going to add more crap when you think of it and become totaly lost.

ordog said:
3) anyone who is concerned with "skills" is a dumbass, pure and simple, and futhermore, if you are trying to show off your skills, guess what? you don't have them. This is proof positive of the negative things that have happened to the gaming industry- too many people waving their dicks around, not enough people having fun.
{/QUOTE]

wtf? skills make the world go round....if you have no skills you can't make a bloody game... MODS are the best way to break into the game dev world, it's so bloody hard to get into now days. Mods DO show off skills, and if a mod is good theres a good chance someone of importance will see it......

Some people do make mods for fun (me and my friend for ex) but it takes time to plan out things.

ordog said:
{/QUOTE]

You need to keep up with this, their next version is hoping for MP, but as most they dont have all the time in the world.

ordog said:
Just because changes are small DOESN'T mean they arn't fun. You could make conceivably minor alteration to the engine and alter the game entirley. Someone could take the grav gun and make mod out of that. Some of the simplest mods have proven to be extremely popular, two examples would be svencoop (which started out real simple) and OzzDM.
Most everyone is out to make the mod of the century, few can. Mod teams fall apart constantly. I gauruntee you MOST of these mods we see on the news screens now will never see the light of day. We are going to wait six months- maybe longer- to get Svencoop2, DoD:S and handfull of CS rip offs. I'm waiting for someone with the balls to make somthing that's NOT ambitious, but IS fun- like snark racers (that was a mod for hl1 if you remember), or snow wars. Too many people want to make halo- not enough want to make pikmin.

If you don't like it then you start one....if you dont have the 'skills' plan the game yourself then try and find a team,

Mods are the best way to get into the game world?
No, C++ classes are and brains are the best way to get into the gaming world, it's people from mods trying to get into the game world that makes it so damned hard to get in to it. Does no one remember back in the day when people just modded for fun? Since valve hired some modders people have been frothing at the mouth to get into the gaming industry. It's a tiny ass industry. Most all of you will not make the cut.

As for skills
Skill does make the gaming world go round. Talking about it makes dumbasses jerk off on their keyboards. That was my point, no one who realy has skill is concerned with it because they know they have it, and have the talent, taste, and maturity to not go about bragging.

As for starting a mod.
1) that's irrelevent. Because I don't make mods makes me less biased then those who do.
2)have neither the ability nor the inclination to make games, I am a gamer in the sense that I PLAY GAMES.
3) Pulling together mod teams is one of those futile, annoying ativities that makes people lose their faith in humanity. It's like trying to convert people to islam at the GOP convention. Those who say no are mean those who say yes are too dump to realize they said yes. That's a generalization, some mod teams are great. but in general rock bands break up less often, and usually contain less neurotic people.

Think of yourself in Gabe Newell's seat during a job interview. Who will you employ? Someone who has done amazing work on a modification that looks good, plays good and shows an amount of experience and competancy in the position they're applying for or someone who has no actual experience? Sure, if they can prove how well they can work and they have some sort of portfolio, whether it be in a previous job or non-mod related projects then they'll get considered just as much as anyone else. Experience and the way they show their actual ability is what will get them into game development.

Anyway, on to the original topic. I think plenty has been done in such a short time. Considering it was only two months ago people got the game and probably only 4-6 weeks since they got the SDK I'm surprised we've even got thinks like Garry's Mod, HL2: Substance, Source Racer and other titles.

Nothing is taking long at all.

making a mod doesn;t mean your wacking your e-penis around the internet....

You can chuck you mod into a portfolio, hand it around for free, have more fun making the mod (yes frustration aswell, but i love problems and solving them).

Making a larger mod instead of a quick idea doesn't mean your not making it for fun either... i find planning fun aswell. Hacks me off but hey, if it's more difficult i'm proud to look back at what ive done (to myself....i dont brag).

I know it might not make it big, but it's primary goal is to entertain me and my mates when we get sick of every other game on the market. It helps me perfect my coding skills, planning, imagination and every other thing....

ne woo im going way off topic haha.

Yombi said:
making a mod doesn;t mean your wacking your e-penis around the internet....

No - Because Valve would NOT STAND FOR IT. But it would be funny though (in as much a non-homo-erotic sort of way as possible)- PenisMod. hehehe.
FartMod... hehehe ("Rise and Shine Mr. Freeman, RISE AND [pffffft]")

I already said, you shouldn't be making mods to try and get a job, it aint gonna happen, and shouldn't you be making mods that people can enjoy, not ones that you can enjoy making?

1) You dont JUST need C++ or other programming skills to get a job in the gaming industry. What about 3D arists? 2D Artists? Story writers? Project Managers etc....

2) If someone whipped up a quick mod and released it without putting quality into it and proper debugging, then you would be crying because you'd be playing a piece of shit.

Have some ****ing patience, moron. You yourself said games should be fun to play. Wait for people to MAKE them fun to play. If most mods were released as is, the chances are that they would be pretty much crap. I mean, lots of things would be missing/buggy. And its hard making a mod with such buggy tools that valve gave us.

ordog said:
I already said, you shouldn't be making mods to try and get a job, it aint gonna happen, and shouldn't you be making mods that people can enjoy, not ones that you can enjoy making?

Im making a mod partly to hopefully land myself a job for fun and fo me and my friends...

I dont tend to make anything in mind of others (in the wider internet community). There's certain game types / styles that i like designing and making...

It is more fun to make a game i enjoy making than to what the general public want. Because, making the game i find find to design and make is fun for me. why bother if i dont even like making something.

Now my mind is running around in cirles sorry, need more caffine :borg:

EDIT: ty TheDan, you've bascially said what what i wanted to say :)

ordog said:
anyone who is concerned with "skills" is a dumbass, pure and simple, and futhermore, if you are trying to show off your skills, guess what? you don't have them.

You certainly don't have any skills. You suck at life.

ordog said:
Ach! I crave multiplayer mods for HL2!

I could play any dumb thing, even snow wars, or somthing simple like that. What's taking so long? Is it so hard to develop that NO ONE has come up with a MP mod yet? jeez. Maybe I've missed one... I hope so .... garry's mod does not count.
Just so you know, Dystopia (http://dystopia-mod.com) isn't too far away from release, we've got the majority of our features coded and are bug/gameplay testing at the moment.

And before you ask to join the test team, it's already full. Sorry.

ordog said:

Creating a mod is actually a great way to help land yourself a job in the industry; it shows that you can work effectively in a team, as well as stick to a project and see it through to the end. Obviously, making a fart mod isn't gonna cut it, and you can't entirely rely on it, but if you lead a team to make something that's well made and fun to play (or even do it on your own, even better), you can bet people will take more notice of you.

ordog said:

and i'm 100% sure you speak for everyone in the whole wide world.

Those of you who say making a mod is a great way to land yourself a job in the industry are deluded. Go to college. Game companies want highly qualified people. How many modders do you think Valve will higher? very few I think, and once your outside of valve, no one's interested in your HL modding skills.
As for the "one made in this time frame would be crap" I was suggesting that someone could make a SIMPLE, UNPOLISHED game with fun gameplay in this time frame. I think Dysotopia will prove that
a game can be made in this amount of time without being total crap, or even crap at all. More time spent working on a mod does not necessarily make it better- look at daikatana!

No, you are deluded. Games companies want development experience, not a piece of paper that says you can pass a course. The company I work for is currently going through a recruitment phase - guess what's higher on the list of "wants" - a college degree, or mod experience? This is a company run by a bunch of long-term industry veterans.

No-one outside Valve hires modders? Have you been living under a rock or something? I got my previous job and my current one based on my modmaking experience. Plenty of other people I know in this industry did the same. The number of people getting a college degree (even in a gaming-related course) and walking into a job with a developer is proportionally lower.
In order of desirability:

1) Shipped product
2) Completed mods (including maps/models, depends on position applied for)
3) relevant degree

Work on a mod is tangible. It shows what you can do, what your skills are. It shows your ability to complete a game project. A degree shows nothing other than your ability to take and pass a college course.

ordog said:
1)3) anyone who is concerned with "skills" is a dumbass

**** you.

You obviously do not care about who makes the mods, and I for one take offense to that.

As long as you're happy, I guess my job is done
/sarcasm

ordog said:
Those of you who say making a mod is a great way to land yourself a job in the industry are deluded. Go to college. Game companies want highly qualified people. How many modders do you think Valve will higher? very few I think, and once your outside of valve, no one's interested in your HL modding skills.
As for the "one made in this time frame would be crap" I was suggesting that someone could make a SIMPLE, UNPOLISHED game with fun gameplay in this time frame. I think Dysotopia will prove that
a game can be made in this amount of time without being total crap, or even crap at all. More time spent working on a mod does not necessarily make it better- look at daikatana!

Do you know how many bloody people go to uni now??? everyone I went to college with is going. Thats 140 7th formers.
Now, in 4 years time they will be done with their courses. They have no experience in the game industry. Alot of companies look at EXPERIENCE not just shit on paper.

Now Daikatana, that was just a shit example. There was no organisation....I mean common, a 1300x960 texture for a spear head.. They didn't even hire the right people.

If you can code for HL2, you can code for any game engine (with some learning of course but it's not that damn hard).

Those who have build a working mod for HL1 know how much time work and patience it needs.

So for HL2 you can multiply this by 2, much more details in the maps, much more complicated models and animations. New texturen system that need many layers with bumpmapping and so on !!

And another little problem, the SDK is not complete, we don't have much docs and we are forced to guess by making tests most of the time.
When i see the large number of mods announced, i would not be surprised that only a few will really make it to the full release.

I love how every week theres someone else to bitch about this...
Those of you who say making a mod is a great way to land yourself a job in the industry are deluded
Your ignorance shines with the power of a 1000 suns.

Trolls like you are the flavor of the week and will be gone soon enough.

Saionara

Teddy said:
Just so you know, Dystopia (http://dystopia-mod.com) isn't too far away from release, we've got the majority of our features coded and are bug/gameplay testing at the moment.

And before you ask to join the test team, it's already full. Sorry.

You're mod has a striking similarity to the Ut2k4 mod Hackerz. But it looks damn nice.

About the topic: It's like sex. The longer it takes the better the end result it.

gmod pretty fun. Dystopia could have something for you to play fairly 'soon'.

OD-Black_Fire said:
You're mod has a striking similarity to the Ut2k4 mod Hackerz.
Interesting, i hadn't seen that mod before. I like their style, especially a few of the map screenshots.

From what i can tell, we're pretty different to Hackerz gameplay wise, very similar theme tho

Back