What's the deal with WoW?

Mutley

Tank
Reaction score
I want to find out why 7 million people play it.

I've played MMORPGs before including WoW trial. The graphics suck, the gameplay requires no skill what so ever, just point and click - the only thing that needs any skill is knowing what to click in what order.

Then you have to pay ?20 for the game and ?10 every month just to play it. So over 1 year you spend nearly ?140 ... now if you enjoy it and have the money, there isn't anything wrong with that but there are hundreds of multiplayer FPS games and Strategies that are equally as fun (and better IMO), can play with other people and are a one off fee.

But what bugs me more is how people get so hooked on it, they see it as a race, the game demands you spend time on it to get "good", getting a "good" character only requires time.

The developers must love the addiction, soon to release another Expansion, why oh why are people soooo obsessed with this game! What makes it more popular than any other retail game in the world? I just can't see it.

/Rant over

:thumbs:

I didnt play for the game in the end. I played it for the 'getting the cool gear so people think i look cool'. Mostly though i played it for the people i had in the guild Adeptus Custodes, and for Azeroth's Fury, my raiding alliance.

I have no idea, I really like the look and feel of the game though.

Hell, I'd love Guild Wars even more if it had that cartoony look.

There are 2 things I don't like about most MMORPGs
1: Very little skill is involved alot of the time
2: A level 50 player has nothing to fear from a level 5 player

*Cue MMO fans proving me wrong*

There are 2 things I don't like about most MMORPGs
1: Very little skill is involved alot of the time
2: A level 50 player has nothing to fear from a level 5 player

*Cue MMO fans proving me wrong*
The skill thing I can agree with. You sit there and press a few buttons over and over. Although PVP does take some quick thinking someitmes when you get ganked by 3 players and you're low on health... Also, EQ2's tradeskill system requires you to pay attention and quick thinking because if you hit an anomaly when creating something, you have to be able to hit the right counter-skill to keep that anomaly from ruining your item. I <3 EQ2's tradeskill system better than WoWs.

I will disagree on your second opinion. If you've put the time and effort into leveling your character to lvl 50, then what should you have to fear from soneone who just started a new character?

it's an addiction
simple as that - it's not world of warcrack for nothing

WoW is the best game ever made imo,right up there with HL2 and Gothic2

Its fun for the same reason you find [insert random game here] fun. I mean I could go saying "why the hell do you find that fun" and you'd probably be shocked and amazed that I don't find your game fun and go on to explain to me why its so great, and I'd probably say the same thing you would in this case "Meh :|" I just think its a fun game, and enjoy it alot. Specifically the lore (even though in the past few months its seen a few wierd retcons), and the warcraft universe is what keeps me playing it :x. I get to fight Illidan? hell yeah >_>

It's an addicting game. Once you really get going on it, you just don't wanna stop playing it. What makes it fun? Well the atmosphere for one. You said the graphics sucked..but thats just it. Yeah it's all low polygon..but it makes you feel tiny and it just looks amazing. And it runs on most computers at high settings. EQ2 strived for more "Photo-Realistic graphics". However you can see photo-realism looking around you. Blizzard went for something different, something that was ment to draw you away from reality and into something new.

It simply has that Blizzard quality feel. And we *should* all know how successful Blizzard's Pc games are.

Personally I don't really like WoW. I see why people like it, but it's just not my thing. I don't like that point and click crap.

But why is it "fun", how does it better than all those none subscription games and other MMORPGs?

• It has a very intuitive interface and structure (it's very "pick up and play", unlike a lot of other established MMOs)
  • It looks and sounds incredible (some of the locations are mind bogglingly beautiful)
  • It's very immersive (creating and developing a character in such a huge, richly-developed world)
  • The classes, races and professions cater to a huge array of gaming mindsets, without making the character creation too complex (violent types, defensive types, exploration, micro-management etc.)
  • You can play it with a whole bunch of your friends (I think most of those who don't enjoy WoW forget to do this part)

That's pretty much the gist of it. :thumbs:

I like MMOs because there's lots of people to play with. There's real people everywhere. Some you cooperate with, some you fight. I wasn't impressed at all with WoW, though. I'm waiting for PotBS and Darkfall to be released or at least released into beta.

I wouldn't say the graphics suck. They're actually pretty good for an MMORPG. The game also requires alot of skill once you start raiding at level 60. It's just not point and click then.

• You can play it with a whole bunch of your friends (I think most of those who don't enjoy WoW forget to do this part)
That's pretty much the gist of it. :thumbs:

You have some good points but this, I did play with friends and I found one serious problem. A few of my friends played this almost all night, where the others including me, played it less - we couldn't play with each other any more because of the level difference and the only way to play with them was to play as much as them which then became an addictive crawl just for XP rather than enjoying the game. That's all I see MMOs as, addictive ranking to be better.

Playing an MMO is just a constant effort to be better than everyone else. The game doesn't end once you reach the highest level. You have to go on never ending raids/quests for the very best equipment. Then there is pvp, you have to kill many many players to rank up and become the best. I don't play WoW, I play Dark Age of Camelot (which is better), but it's the same concept.

You have some good points but this, I did play with friends and I found one serious problem. A few of my friends played this almost all night, where the others including me, played it less - we couldn't play with each other any more because of the level difference and the only way to play with them was to play as much as them which then became an addictive crawl just for XP rather than enjoying the game. That's all I see MMOs as, addictive ranking to be better.

MMOs are pretty lame when you actually look at what they require to succeed. Yes its repetitive as all hell, but the fun factor jumps when you play with people you know and the teamwork starts kicking in.

I will disagree on your second opinion. If you've put the time and effort into leveling your character to lvl 50, then what should you have to fear from soneone who just started a new character?
That's my point. The players should be on a roughly level playing field. Leveling up should be about customising and expanding your character rather than just getting stronger. New abilites yes, becoming (almost) unkillable by someone who hasn't been there as long, no.

Well..its level 50 and level 5 for a reason :| What would be the point of leveling to 50 if a level 5 player is going to have (even if its only a slight chance) to kill you. As you level up your going to get new gear and abilities that are going to make you alot stronger. I don't see why a level 5 player should even be able to kill a player that high. (Customizing and expanding your character counts as getting stronger btw :p)

As you level you do customize your character with a talent point each level from lvl 10 and up. Example, if you were a combat rogue and take all your talent points out of that tree and put them into the subtlety tree instead, you would have to change your play style and maybe even weapons to take full advantage of the talents you now have.

I like WoW because it is a really well put together 'world' and you don't know who you might meet on the road or working on the same quest as you. It isn't a small group of people playing on your server. Just don't get lost in it...(addicted). Also it's really easy to pick up and play but you have to really learn how the other classes play to do well in PVP. I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I got in a big raiding guild, I prefer my guild filled with people who I know. But there are so many different guilds.

And PVP is a big part of why I play. I started out on a PVE server where it was 'safe' and everyone did their quests while leveling by themselves. On my PVP server there seemed to be a lot more grouping together to do quests for fear of getting ganked. So even the PVE aspect was more fun for me on the PVP server. And the 'world' felt more believable on the PVP server than the PVE server since you had to be aware of your surroundings to survive. Seemed to have a more complete experience for me.

I can see WoW getting old after you have tons of gold, seen most of the items and instances within the game (thats why there is an expantion) but player vs player never gets old for me. I don't play every day but I used to play a lot more.

Well..its level 50 and level 5 for a reason :| What would be the point of leveling to 50 if a level 5 player is going to have (even if its only a slight chance) to kill you. As you level up your going to get new gear and abilities that are going to make you alot stronger. I don't see why a level 5 player should even be able to kill a player that high. (Customizing and expanding your character counts as getting stronger btw :p)
My point is that the levels systems are bloody stupid. I don't care hom many quests you've done, an axe in the face has the same effects as anyone.

My point is that the levels systems are bloody stupid. I don't care hom many quests you've done, an axe in the face has the same effects as anyone.
It is a game. In CS how many bullets does it take to kill someone with a glock? What if he had more money and bought armor? :eek:

The level system tries to separate the fighting 'experience' of the characters (not you the player). So if your character is lvl 50 he has a lot better chance to parry, block or dodge that level 5. And if the level 5 does land a blow he has a lot low damage attacks because he has not trained for the better skills/attacks and does not have access to better weapons/armor yet.

Playing an MMO is just a constant effort to be better than everyone else. The game doesn't end once you reach the highest level. You have to go on never ending raids/quests for the very best equipment. Then there is pvp, you have to kill many many players to rank up and become the best. I don't play WoW, I play Dark Age of Camelot (which is better), but it's the same concept.

I used to play Dark Age of Camelot back in the day and I loved it. I probably had the most fun on that game and have lots of memories. Ever so often I really get the need to play it again and I was thinking about getting DAoC Anniversary Edition and playing for a couple of months to get it out of my system but then I talked to a guy at Gamestop and he told me that DAoC is very deserted with very few people playing and WoW is the way to go. Is that true? I just can't find myself playing Wow, (all based on what ive seen) it has cartoonish graphics, too easy to play (sounds almost for noobs), aimed towards kids whereas DAoC was very immersive in the time of Camelot, very good graphics (after Catacombs), Very very fun PVP (I only played in Mordred PVP server), Not too easy and very challenging. So what do you guys think?

I used to play Dark Age of Camelot back in the day and I loved it. I probably had the most fun on that game and have lots of memories. Ever so often I really get the need to play it again and I was thinking about getting DAoC Anniversary Edition and playing for a couple of months to get it out of my system but then I talked to a guy at Gamestop and he told me that DAoC is very deserted with very few people playing and WoW is the way to go. Is that true? I just can't find myself playing Wow, (all based on what ive seen) it has cartoonish graphics, too easy to play (sounds almost for noobs), aimed towards kids whereas DAoC was very immersive in the time of Camelot, very good graphics (after Catacombs), Very very fun PVP (I only played in Mordred PVP server), Not too easy and very challenging. So what do you guys think?

Only one way to find out: https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/index.htm

:) All I can say is that WoW is the first MMO I've actually liked.

I still play DAoC once a day or so, it has a ton of people based on where you're playing - the Classic servers took away ToA but left catacombs/darkness rising/labyrinth expansions in. On the Classic servers theres also a buff range so you can't buff someone that's really far away, so you don't need a buffbot. it's pretty cool. It's the most populated set of servers, the entire ruleset taking up 1/3 of the game.

I play on a ToA server (mid/devon), and almost everywhere mids are underpopulated. Hibs are the best realm right now, but I'm more of a person who just roams, and hibs are the best in siege. It's still a TON of fun, but I have no idea how mordred is :)

wow is good fun, but for me doesnt compare to the intense excitement of a good fps, especially a good game of dod or cs. I like that if you play wow for a bit then go play an fps, it gives a +100 excitement bonus to the next game you play.

I still play DAoC once a day or so, it has a ton of people based on where you're playing - the Classic servers took away ToA but left catacombs/darkness rising/labyrinth expansions in. On the Classic servers theres also a buff range so you can't buff someone that's really far away, so you don't need a buffbot. it's pretty cool. It's the most populated set of servers, the entire ruleset taking up 1/3 of the game.

I play on a ToA server (mid/devon), and almost everywhere mids are underpopulated. Hibs are the best realm right now, but I'm more of a person who just roams, and hibs are the best in siege. It's still a TON of fun, but I have no idea how mordred is :)

Have you played WoW? How would you compare the two?

As far as I've been able to determine MMO's are intentionally designed to take as much time as possible and to be as addicting as possible. It's an inevitable result of their business model.

Definantly. WoW, which I didn't play long, was highly addictive. I couldn't leave more poor ickle Tauran Shaman alone...

I'm not a fan of PvE, so WoW wasn't really for me (played it for like 2-5 days on a friends account)

It comes down to being fun... its a lengthy game that whatever you may think, it does require skill. You might think the basics are simple, "point" "click" but it does require skill. Ive played with allot of unskilled players and allot of skilled and I can firmly tell you the game takes skill.

It comes down to being fun... its a lengthy game that whatever you may think, it does require skill. You might think the basics are simple, "point" "click" but it does require skill. Ive played with allot of unskilled players and allot of skilled and I can firmly tell you the game takes skill.

Well I just got done playing some WoW for the first time after being a hard core DAoC player awhile ago and my first impressions were that WoW is DAoC's dumbed down little brother. First of all, the game is very SIMPLE and although it was pretty much right click on the thing you wanna attack, it didnt get too boring. The second thing was the graphics, basically what I was expecting but nothing like DAoCs awsome landscapes and castles. I do realize that the graphics go with the game but can you say kiddish? The third thing I realized was how some things were very similiar to DAoC and not only DAoC but other MMORPGS as well. No originality :( Same basic quest setup, same blue name above everyones head, similiar UI but many of these are standard in these games. These did not take away from the fun as I will admit that it was fun but it was the same fun that I had in DAoC and in DAoC it was much more indepth, challenging, immersive, better graphics, basically funnner and a much more matured game then WoW and not as crowded :) actually it wasnt too bad in WoW. More the merrier.

Conclusion: WoW=Took simple principles from the already established MMORPGs and threw them into a easy to learn simple game with a well known brand on it for the masses(basically next gen MMORPG that appeals to the masses). For the Girlfriend=WoW For Me=DAoC

/incoming flames even though i still sayed I like WoW :p

That is a good taste of WoW. You should play more. ;)
The first 15 maybe 20 levels are pretty easy and go quite fast.
As for the graphics, just look at the style of all the Warcraft series vs other strategy games.

I have grown to seriously dislike the combat system in most RPGs in general (even though I used to like them). None of them feels real, its all about watching the enemies meter go down to zero while not having yours do the same. That would be fine if it felt like it was acctually representing the physical condition of the participants but it just dont.

I would LOVE to see a more flat power curve, that is the differences between a level 1 character and a level 50 (assuming 50 is max) should not be that large. Or rather the level 50 is a lot more skilled (eg, successfully avoids being hit much easier and hits much easier when it comes to combat skill) but is still dead if a level 1 character gets a solid hit, I dont see how that would be boring at all, especially if one emphathises tactics. I would also see a MMORPG that puts less emphasis on combat and perhaps even allows players to found and destroy nations.

Well I just got done playing some WoW for the first time after being a hard core DAoC player awhile ago and my first impressions were that WoW is DAoC's dumbed down little brother. First of all, the game is very SIMPLE and although it was pretty much right click on the thing you wanna attack, it didnt get too boring. The second thing was the graphics, basically what I was expecting but nothing like DAoCs awsome landscapes and castles. I do realize that the graphics go with the game but can you say kiddish? The third thing I realized was how some things were very similiar to DAoC and not only DAoC but other MMORPGS as well. No originality :( Same basic quest setup, same blue name above everyones head, similiar UI but many of these are standard in these games. These did not take away from the fun as I will admit that it was fun but it was the same fun that I had in DAoC and in DAoC it was much more indepth, challenging, immersive, better graphics, basically funnner and a much more matured game then WoW and not as crowded :) actually it wasnt too bad in WoW. More the merrier.

Conclusion: WoW=Took simple principles from the already established MMORPGs and threw them into a easy to learn simple game with a well known brand on it for the masses(basically next gen MMORPG that appeals to the masses). For the Girlfriend=WoW For Me=DAoC

/incoming flames even though i still sayed I like WoW :p

Kiddish? Well... simplistic, yes. I don't think it's kiddish, though.

Mind you, Psychonaut's graphics was considered 'kiddish'. And... that totally screwed it over. Which sucked, because it's an awesome game.

I played it for a bit

what I really like of the game is to explore the world,I dont care about being the best and super increase level,I prefer to explore the world and see and fight monsters,also the art direction is very cool and original,however I stoped playing cuz it really requires a lot of time and in short time I got tired of it,anyway one thing I liked is that when you spend all that time leveling and you see how stronger your character got compared to the previous levels it gave a good satisfaction feel

Back