When do you think HL3 will be out?

when?

• Total voters

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm aware that theres probably dozens of threads like this, but just vote. :)

And explain your reason.

2006 - 2007. Since they arent changing the engine, it shouldnt be too long. Most sequels come out a year or two later.

W4E said:
2006 - 2007. Since they arent changing the engine, it shouldnt be too long. Most sequels come out a year or two later.

They aren't?

Oh I was hopng that they would do a new engine. :smoking:

15357 said:
They aren't?

Oh I was hopng that they would do a new engine. :smoking:
How many times do we have to explain that source is infinitely upgradeable?

infinitely upgradeable
upgradeable yes, but limited potential to upgrade to latest/next gen tech like lighting etc definitely

2008, hl2 took 6 years, hl3...4 years...they will work very much on expansion packs so getting hl3 done will take some time..

Probably sometime during or the end of 2007 is my guess.

Loke said:
Probably sometime during or the end of 2007 is my guess.
I think so too, but I voted 2008-2009, because I want it to be finished :)

Never. They are doing games in episode forms - like Aftermath, a short, but cheap episode of gameplay. They said Aftermath is only the first, so I think a "Half-Life 3" is never going to be released.

if they even makea half life 3 , i have no clue how the story will play out, we can only play the expansions that vavle promised and find out what happens to earth and gordon in the years to come. - zaffino

Valve has a lot of stuff to do (aftermath, TF2, adding HDR to everything for starters). I say 2011~2012 ish.

I chose 2010 or so....because they have to do a good job of it.

2008-2009. if half life 2 took 6 years then on the same engine im guessing it will take half as long at the shortest.

Well, apparently there is going to be a ton of expansions for Half Life 2, so we might be talking 5+ years to get an actual sequel.

i want it to be tomorrow...but im going to guess 08-09...ALTHOUGH it would be awesome if it happened before my graduation...june 2007

I'm guessing around 2008/2009 when they release HL3. Since they already got a good engine made they basically would just do some upgrades to it.

I voted around 2010 - 2011. That to me seems like a good time to release it.
DNF is scrubbed. :p HL3 won't be...hopefully.

By then, HDR2 might be a reality.

2007-2008 seems logical to me, but anything earlier would be great

I demand it be around 2030 or so, maybe when we will have VR ..... and we can play as Gordon, or better yet, we get attacked by Combine in reality **Druels at the thought of it ** :smoking: :smoking:

russ_uk said:
let them fix hl2 before they start anything else ;)

haha indeed, I think they got a lot more to do than think of HL3, for the moment they're focusing on Aftermath, and after the release they'll start with updates, at least that's what I think.

But hey off-topic, I think somewhere in late 2006.

Salad22 said:
haha indeed, I think they got a lot more to do than think of HL3, for the moment they're focusing on Aftermath, and after the release they'll start with updates, at least that's what I think.

But hey off-topic, I think somewhere in late 2006.

Lol, don't get your hopes up.

If they are going to rewrite the Source Engine in order to create Source² then it's gonna take long :p Well, let's wait eagerly for Valve's official announcements on this.

Why would they have to rewrite the source engine? They can just update it

If they are going to rewrite the Source Engine in order to create Source² then it's gonna take long Well, let's wait eagerly for Valve's official announcements on this.
There not going to rewrite it from scratch, just update there code, possibly rewrite some parts but not all of it lol.

well, iam not really worried.
Because iam enjoying my self to much still playing all of my steam games.
yes, a year on!
Simple fact is Valve has worked very hard. producted some great quallity games.
that i still love playing.
But hopfully in the next year or two, would be good.
With some improvements to the source engine, before then. to allow for multicore cpu's, physics to be processed externally by a pci card. "not CPU"
and other improvements to make it better!

Cukel said:
Never. They are doing games in episode forms - like Aftermath, a short, but cheap episode of gameplay. They said Aftermath is only the first, so I think a "Half-Life 3" is never going to be released.

But they can package those episodes together and sell as a separate game
pack for people who can't (or won't) download the separate "books" of
each release.

I think there will be a HL3, because they have so much material to
work with in concluding the stories built thru HL1 and HL2.

they wont release/make hl3 till they have made as much money as possible out of hl2/addons

Back