Where do you think EP3 will start off? (Location)

probably we all going to wait long-long enough till EP3 comes out!! I suppose that the final product will make us happy as well

You will start where EP2 finished, Half-Life 2, EP1 and EP2 started pretty much directly after the last game finished, its part of the immersion. Half-Life 2 starts with you in stasis, its many years after Half-Life but to Gordon (us) that would have instant, EP1 is the same principle and EP2 is on the train wreckage after the Citadel's explosion knocked it off the rails, EP3 will start in the hanger or at least somewhere in White Forest base.

You will start where EP2 finished, Half-Life 2, EP1 and EP2 started pretty much directly after the last game finished, its part of the immersion. Half-Life 2 starts with you in stasis, its many years after Half-Life but to Gordon (us) that would have instant, EP1 is the same principle and EP2 is on the train wreckage after the Citadel's explosion knocked it off the rails, EP3 will start in the hanger or at least somewhere in White Forest base.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

EP3 will start in the hanger or at least somewhere in White Forest base.
Failing that, you could wake up after being bundled on the chopper. As much as I like the continuity, it's starting to feel a little contrived. All Gordon's weapons will have no doubt vaporised in the advisor encounter. :rolleyes:

cant you see thats fake? But in the other hand as you were saying that the Dog will be pulling the chopper out is quite....not so ingenious to Valve.....

Remember as one of our friends here mentioned that Valve will surprise us again!!

cant you see thats fake? But in the other hand as you were saying that the Dog will be pulling the chopper out is quite....not so ingenious to Valve.....

Remember as one of our friends here mentioned that Valve will surprise us again!!

/facepalm

But remains a good idea about the beggining of ep3 but still we dont know for sure what is going on in Valve's labs!!

I dunno...I still want to see Kleiner & Magnusson's reactions to Eli's death. There's a huga opportunity for Valve to do some serious character development and it would be such a shame to skip that (it's obviously the easy way out if they do, but Valve's not known for going the easy way out).

Probably White forest or somewhere completely new.

After the shock of seeing Eli's demise, you faint. You reawaken in the base's makeshift infirmary, where you hear Barney and Magnusson bickering about what to do. Kleiner is comforting Alyx in a nearby room. At the base you have a replacement pilot, as well as introduced to several new characters who will accompany you to the Northlands (to make use of the L4D coop AI)

You leave the base by the helicopter in the hanger, though Barney; in your absence, found another smaller helicopter (HH-65?). Alyx and Barney shouldn't be in the first 1/3 of the game, but reintroduced (via the other helicopter) later on after Alyx has gotten over her father's death, and allow Barney to freshen up after the week long battle.

i think you'll start off in the helicopter with alyx flying and somewhere you crash. i know they wouldnt let gordon fly it, and since he blacked out it'd make sense to have it start in medias res.

After the shock of seeing Eli's demise, you faint. You reawaken in the base's makeshift infirmary, where you hear Barney and Magnusson bickering about what to do. Kleiner is comforting Alyx in a nearby room. At the base you have a replacement pilot, as well as introduced to several new characters who will accompany you to the Northlands (to make use of the L4D coop AI)

You leave the base by the helicopter in the hanger, though Barney; in your absence, found another smaller helicopter (HH-65?). Alyx and Barney shouldn't be in the first 1/3 of the game, but reintroduced (via the other helicopter) later on after Alyx has gotten over her father's death, and allow Barney to freshen up after the week long battle.

I like this idea - I think adding new citizen characters would freshen the cast up a bit, since you've been hanging around Alyx and Barney so much.

I don't think they would have gordon "faint" after only seeing eli die. that would seem very out of place and laughable. They were careful to not let Alyx do too much more than what they player could do, remember the commentary at the beginning of Episode 1 where alyx climbed up to go to the communications area but gordon had to make a ramp? They said they didn't really want to do it that way, and hoped it could be explained as alyx being 'more nimble' than gordon. I think having gordon faint while alyx is fine would be something they'd avoid.

Maybe they wont get to the arctic by chopper ? Mossman certainly didn't go to the arctic by helicopter ( because its here , duh :) ) so there must be another way.

Guys, why would Gordon be fainting after seeing Eli's death, considering everything he has seen and been through. It would make much sense if he was knocked out, unless it was from the force of the advisor dropping him but he is wearing a HEV suite has taken a lot more than that. Starting somewhere in the base is the logical start for EP3.

I think it will begin about an hour after ep 2, in the White Forest Base, like ep 1 did to ep 2.

i think you'll start off in the helicopter with alyx flying and somewhere you crash. i know they wouldnt let gordon fly it, and since he blacked out it'd make sense to have it start in medias res.

i agree very much with this. i think at the start it will come up with the HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3 logo with a black background,
then it will fade to you sitting in the chopper with alyx, and she is talking, but suddenly, something goes wrong, and you crash, and black out.
you then reawaken and see alyx lying down, and you hover over her, and she wakes up. opposite to when you first meet her in HL2.

thats how i think it starts, but i'm sure valve will surprise us with something very impressive. but as barbar said, it might not happen by chopper, teleport maybe?

thats how i think it starts, but i'm sure valve will surprise us with something very impressive. but as barbar said, it might not happen by chopper, teleport maybe?

I don't know then but a teleport sound good.

I don't know then but a teleport sound good.

But that would require a teleporter to be wherever they are going to, which i doubt there is. The teleportation was still experimental at the start of Half-Life 2 that even White Forest didn't have one.

I think we'll start right where were we left off. We'll get the reactions of Kleiner and Magnusson then get right back to business. I don't think we'll start on the helicopter cause i believe the resistance will be in shock, especially Alyx, and i don't see then dragging your unconscious body on the helicopter.

It's so obvious that it will begin how every great game has began. Gordon will awaken to sunshine through his window and realize he is late. He will sprint down the stairs and out the door to find that Alyx has gone off because Gordon was late to meet her. From this point on...who knows.

I don't think they'd move Freeman that far while he was asleep.

It's so obvious that it will begin how every great game has began. Gordon will awaken to sunshine through his window and realize he is late. He will sprint down the stairs and out the door to find that Alyx has gone off because Gordon was late to meet her. From this point on...who knows.
No, that sounds more like a Dick Van Dyke show plot.

I wonder if you get to got to the Aperture Science labs because on EP2 when Kleiner shows the borialis you see the Aperture Science logo.

It will have to do with Aperture and their background, but I don't believe you'll get to the actual labs at all. There are several other threads around here somewhere discussing Aperture and the details of their involvement with Borealis, but they're spoilers.

As for my previous remark, I was just playing to classic-RPG game plot humor.

Well, they'll probably appear flying, like swan song said. And they'll show you G-man teleporting you somewhere into that snow place. I know my theory sucks, tho. But I'm just saying.

There's no reason for the G-man to do anything at this point. Aside from his given 2-3 speeches, I don't think he'll be in Ep 3 much, but I do think he will have a major role in HL3....which we may never see in our lifetimes.

Maybe the chopper will get caught up in a portal storm and dispatched to Xen/somewhere else for a while, where the Combine will chase Gordon and Alyx, before being returned to the Artic region close to the Borealis... would overcome the oddity of how they would travel from White Forest to the Artic in a short time without breaking continuity...

Maybe the chopper will get caught up in a portal storm and dispatched to Xen/somewhere else for a while, where the Combine will chase Gordon and Alyx, before being returned to the Artic region close to the Borealis... would overcome the oddity of how they would travel from White Forest to the Artic in a short time without breaking continuity...

Or maybe you would sleep on that long of a trip?

So far the only rest Gordon was given was being knocked out. Its about time he actually gets to go to sleep.

Wait...who says gordon passed out at the end of Ep2? Fade to black doesn't necessarily indicate he's asleep now.

He was slammed on the ground, and the screen fades to black. I think he was knocked out.

He was slammed on the ground, and the screen fades to black. I think he was knocked out.
So was alyx and she was fine. After all gordon has been through, to pass out then would be a character disappointment. I'm sure it's possible, I just didn't get that from the ending.

After all gordon has been through, to pass out then would be a character disappointment.
He passed out in the waste compactor, and it seems unlikely he was concious between Episodes One and Two.

Considering how strictly Valve like to represent the player as GF, a fade to black couldn't mean anything but his falling unconscious.

My opinion: The one free man has been rendered unconcious. Who else could save him from his predicament at this point than the Vortigaunts! Ep3 beginning. Saved by the Vorts sequence ---> waking with Kleiner in your face. No idea where though. Probably where you got ko'd

Maybe Ep3 will start with a vort slapping gordon in the face or tossing a glass of cold water in his nose to wake him up from his weakling passed-out state.

They'll just wait him to come out of it, he doesn't need saving he gets knocked out all the time.

Back