Why did they cut the ship?

E

Eternity

Remember that ship that they showed in very early publicity shots? The one that was supposed to be completely modelled after the real deal? Anyone know why this is no longer in the game? Was it even in the link, and if so, was it finished?

Kind of confused.

Who says it isn't in the game?

Well a shipyards area has been discussed before, right? I think it's safe to assume it's still in if that area is in the game.

More like looking in the newly pre-loaded Steam cache. If it is in the game, they're not pre-loading it till later.

It did look rather lovely from the outside.

Yeah, I know what the rest of you know -- all the maps currently preloaded, which looks like all of them. I don't see any locations that say 'ship' in them, and I doubt they would bury it in 'coast' foe example -- it would have to be a whole different level.

Ya that ship looked awesome. It was modelled after a real ship. When they were scouting looking for scenes etc to model for the game, they found out the crew of the boat were Half Life fans.

After looking at the preload files, it looks like it's been cut :|

I really liked the 'Carrier' level in FC. Not half as immense as it could've been, but still fun.

It looks like they've cut the hydra and the ship so far. Although this is bad enough, is anyone else worried about the lack of praise for the AI in HL2 in all the reviews? It played such a big factor in the original and in Opfor...physics is all good, but I like dueling with enemies!

Also, no mention of the docks in the preload maps, either. Nor any indication that there will be a surprise to the magnitude of Xen in the sequel, which I thoroughly enjoyed in the original..

Meh, it could be included under a different name.

Stop guessing with such certainty, everyone is on spoiler edge already.

"Although this is bad enough, is anyone else worried about the lack of praise for the AI in HL2 in all the reviews?"

In a word: NO!

The reviewers aren't saying the AI is bad - it's on par with AI in today's games and the Italian reviewer said they had no problem with it.

In fact, the reviewers have said that they brought up the AI because they had to find SOMETHING to quibble with and AI is usually a good standby when you can't find anything else. This means that they didn't think it was a big deal.

What I'm trying to say is STOP WORRYING ABOUT MINOR ISSUES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

NEWSLFASH:

Guessing the content of HL2 off of filenames is not 100% reliable.

It MAY be that the names of the levels (which I haven't looked at) may be descriptions of the level's mood, a plot point, or an emotion rather than a literal description of the level's setting. See "Unforeseen Consequences", "Office Complex", "Forget About Freeman!", etc.

Eternity said:
It looks like they've cut the hydra and the ship so far. Although this is bad enough, is anyone else worried about the lack of praise for the AI in HL2 in all the reviews? It played such a big factor in the original and in Opfor...physics is all good, but I like dueling with enemies!

Also, no mention of the docks in the preload maps, either. Nor any indication that there will be a surprise to the magnitude of Xen in the sequel, which I thoroughly enjoyed in the original..

It's already been said that most of the BINKS are either not present or completely different in the game. If Docks is there, it's part of the Ravenholm levels.

And I'm sure the AI is good enough, otherwise it wouldn't get such high grades. And magazines have in fact praised the AI, especially the enemy AI. The friendly AI is the biggest flaw it seems, sometimes blocking your way. But if that's the biggest flaw one could find, it's pretty darn positive.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were cut. Maybe it was taking away from the pace of the game.. or didn't fit in well with as the story evolved... I don't know...

perhaps it will show up again in expansion packs.. didn't Valve say there would be expansion packs based around other characters in the HL2 universe?

alehm said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it were cut. Maybe it was taking away from the pace of the game.. or didn't fit in well with as the story evolved... I don't know...

perhaps it will show up again in expansion packs.. didn't Valve say there would be expansion packs based around other characters in the HL2 universe?

That would make sense. The formula for all HL expansions. Hopefully we can be a Strider.

Sprafa said:
It has been cut, it's not in the script.

The script for that matter doesn't mention quite a few environments. You CAN'T rely on that.

Eli: Gordon, go down to the SCALE MODELLED OIL TANKER THAT IS REPLICATED TO THE TINIEST GLOB OF OIL!

I'd say it's well within possibility that the ship (an icebreaker I think) is one of the several "coast" levels. We know the game takes place in City 17, we've got an idea of how the environments are fleshed out, but we do not know exactly what takes place in each of them or when.

Why do people continue to make assumptions that they can't back up with any credible evidence?

i dont care if the ships in it or not.

the game is meant to kick ass anyway... whats 1 less environment? who knows they could have replaced it with something uber cool

Absinthe said:
NEWSLFASH:

Guessing the content of HL2 off of filenames is not 100% reliable.
Sometimes it is. There's an intro to Half-Life 2. OH NOES!!!! CUT SCENES!!!

Attachments

• er.JPG
    er.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 318
I figured intro.bsp was the same intro from E3 2004 with the G-man, maybe a longer version or something.

lets break this down entirely.....

intro.BSP
ntro.BSP
tro.BSP
ro.BSP
o.BSP
.BSP

There, we found the solution. It isn't a cutscene.

Good point, and I'm sure the intro's probably like the e3 one. Maybe slightly different, but it'll probably be the G-Man waking you up.

Eternity said:

Wait a sec, the hydra has been cut? Where did you get this info?

There have been no major complaints about the A.I., but I was expecting lavish praise. The A.I. in OpFor was completely insane, and I was expecting them to build on that instead of go off on another direction.

I remember Gabe saying the A.I. would be able to scale latters and go everywhere you would, but the reviews just don't seem to be mentioning these things. I miss the cautious soldiers of Hl1: The Combine just seem more stupid. For one thing, it looks like they very seldom run.

its not a bloody cutscene for gods sake. its a M-A-P. u kno, those things where u get to look around and do things unlike cutscenes?
how many times have the reviews said that this game has no cutscenes and its story is told in its entirity from gordons perspective?

Also as for the ship being cut, theres no way anyone would know that. Notice the breakdown of the levels... for example the coast breaks down into about 15 sublevels where one of them could EASILY be that ship, but you wouldnt know it because theyre lableled coast_01 through 15. In the hl2 leak, the ship was indeed just one level, and it was basically the whole ship from surface to kitchen ;]

the AI is mostly competent, but nothing special or revolutionary

about that ship, if you want an explanation on why it was removed, go to hl2world

flipstar said:
] In the hl2 leak, the ship was indeed just one level, and it was basically the whole ship from surface to kitchen ;]

Less reference to the HL2 leak here, the better.

rrm said:
the AI is mostly competent, but nothing special or revolutionary

about that ship, if you want an explanation on why it was removed, go to hl2world

I read some of that at that site. They talked about a couple of levels being cut that either led to or were directly after the ship. (They all had played the leak =/). But they thought that it might be possible for the ship to still be there.

Back