Why is it taking so long?

Kzaar

Medic
Reaction score
This project is under "development" for quite some time now and we haven't received not a slight glimpse of what to expect.
So why, I refuse to believe they are having problems with story line, well at least not that that big to prevent them to release any clue I hope.

Its either Valve is planning to release something really big, a massive story with long gameplay or they are actually developing a new engine or upgrading Source. Lets face it, Source is a great engine but it is getting old and is falling into shadow of newer engines that currently exist and we all know Valve, they are perfectionists and what ever they release is top notch quality hence the idea of new engine.
Ofc this is my guess but then again i haven't been up to date recently, feel free to post anything I might have missed here.

The story has had a skeleton for some time I imagine, they just had to add the meat to it, and that can be tricky when you're a perfectionist.

The source engine is modular and does not need to be replaced but merely upgraded in increments. If you feel the engine is outdated then I suggest you replay Half-Life 2 and then play Left 4 Dead to see the contrast between them and what the engine is truly capable of. In a way they are holding back, as Valve makes sure that their games runs well even on low end machines.

They said there would be a trailer coming towards the end of the year so expect it "soon" at the very least; in addition if you haven't yet, look at all 3 pictures of concept art somewhere down the thread list.

Valve has said that Episode 3 is going to be longer and more epic. Plus they've been focusing a lot of their energy into Left 4 Dead until around now.

We're going to start hearing a lot more about Episode 3 in the coming months, now that the Left 4 Dead hype and release are behind us. Can't wait :D

Errr...no he did not. You saying we're gonna get it in 15 days?

Just because we've seen nothing folks, dosen't mean there is nothing to show.

i think valve are going to release some type of 'blue box' with ep3.

i expect it will update the old hl2 content to be in line with whatever bells and whistles appear in ep3... and that some type of co-op mode will be made available for all the hl2 content (sven-coop 2 anybody?)

finally, i'm hoping (but it's such a long shot it's not even funny) left 4 dead's director will thrown in there somehow... imagine how epic it would be playing through all of half life 2 with truly dynamic coop... drool. imagine a versus mode with players spawning as combine/zombies/hunters etc trying to take down the freeman and the alyx vance!

i think valve are going to release some type of 'blue box' with ep3.

i expect it will update the old hl2 content to be in line with whatever bells and whistles appear in ep3... and that some type of co-op mode will be made available for all the hl2 content (sven-coop 2 anybody?)

finally, i'm hoping (but it's such a long shot it's not even funny) left 4 dead's director will thrown in there somehow... imagine how epic it would be playing through all of half life 2 with truly dynamic coop... drool. imagine a versus mode with players spawning as combine/zombies/hunters etc trying to take down the freeman and the alyx vance!

LoL first Orange box, and now blue box??
hahahaha i think not.

LoL first Orange box, and now blue box??
hahahaha i think not.
I thought it goes orange, then green, then blue ;)

I think Valve have been thinking of how to transition from mild to cold climates, I'm always wishing that they have improved the view distance and general map size. I'm guessing the 2D rendering will now come into play somehow.

Valve has said that Episode 3 is going to be longer and more epic. Plus they've been focusing a lot of their energy into Left 4 Dead until around now.

This, this, and of course, THIS.

Doug Lombardi says its the most ambitious Episode yet. its the end of the triology and endings are usually the easiest-to-screw-up-on parts of books, movies, games, anything. they're taking their time to do it right.

Don't recall hearing THAT. Source*?

I don't think they said that exactly, they just said it would be "their most ambitious project yet".

A trailer would be a nice christmas present from Valve..

A trailer would be nice...

Eli: "Have you learned nothing from Episode 2?!"

What I mean is, much of the Ep 2 trailer was non-existent.

EDIT: but I suppose if not a trailer, then what else?

Eli: "Have you learned nothing from Episode 2?!"

What I mean is, much of the Ep 2 trailer was non-existent.

True. But its been so long since we've heard anything about the HL series that a trailer to remind people that its still going would be the best option. They could release a few screenshots or reveal more information in an interview, but trailers tend to get get more attention/publicity.

Valve has said they might reveal something before 2009. Even if that doesn't happen, it won't be long after that.

I'm not expecting Ep3 until late '09.
I'm expecting it to be something really special.

Time will tell.

I think everyone expects it to be special which is why theyre really putting their heart and soul into this game and left 4 dead, as great as it is, i think was just something to keep us entertained for the wait.

I'm expecting it to be something really special.

The only reason I'm registered on these forums is because there's going to be a 3rd episode. While the series is still rolling, I figured I'd tag in before it's too late.

well the electromagnetic spectrum goes ROYGBIV. so maybe a yellow box? as long as there's plenty of green alien blood to be gloriously decalled onto snow with moar magnum bullets i really don't mind.

The next box will be painted with all the colours of the wind.

I always felt that the Black/Orange Boxes were named such because they are Half-Life themed colours. Either way it's pretty unlikely that they'll have a bunch of projects finishing at the same time again for quite a while.

Hopefully Black Mesa Source is released in early 2009, that way we will have no problems waiting for Ep3 because BMS is professional work to me.

To be honest, it's great valve chooses to take their time.

Just look at Halo. A very good console shooter, although just average if it was a pc shooter. The first one was pretty good, nothing TOO special. Then you have the second one, which was a rushed disappointment.

I don't know much about the third, but some of my friends say Bungee dropped the ball.

GIVE ME MY GAWD-DAWM HAPPEH MEAL!, I WANT A HAPPY MEAL!, GIMME IT!, GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!.

:flame::flame::flame::angry::angry::devil::devil::frown::frown::dozey::dozey::hmph::hmph:

Naw I kid, I totally don't care actually, I'm one of those types who lose interest the longer something takes to get released then those who just build it up and build it up and get hyped and hyped and are just one twitch from trashing the room in anticipation for it.

Naw I kid, I totally don't care actually, I'm one of those types who lose interest the longer something takes to get released then those who just build it up and build it up and get hyped and hyped and are just one twitch from trashing the room in anticipation for it.

Yeah, I tend to be really excited for things but then forget about them and end up completely missing their release :D

Word.

Getting too hyped about a game that takes years to develop isn't always the best course of action. Look at Fable 2. People have been on the fable 2 forums for years, ever since it was first acknowledged to the world. Everyone there for years is going "omg, omg, omg Fable 2 Fable 2 Fable 2" then it came out and there was pandemonium on the forumspace because everything that was promised didn't quite make the game, or there were too many bugs, or it wasn't as they thought it would turn out to be. So don't do it.

For me, if its a game im looking SOMEWHAT foward to, then i can easliy forget about it. But not half life, i don't mind waiting a long time to get a half life game, as long i know its gonna come out sometime. See, unlike most people here, i actually understand valve works slowly to make sure their games are of top quality, not just to piss us all off....

GIVE ME MY GAWD-DAWM HAPPEH MEAL!, I WANT A HAPPY MEAL!, GIMME IT!, GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!.

:flame::flame::flame::angry::angry::devil::devil::frown::frown::dozey::dozey::hmph::hmph:

Ahhh.... are you ok? :)

....and left 4 dead, as great as it is, i think was just something to keep us entertained for the wait.

Lol. Or maybe they must make some money and also want to make something else then only hl-games (a little alternation is always good in your job.

And.. we must wait longer beceause of L4D.

Back