Why you can't start modding yet.

synth

Reaction score
1. The game code has not been released.
This means you can't make anything about your game yet. The code is the game, so if you don't have code to modify, you can't make a game.

2. The HL2 Hammer editor has not been released.
There is a Hammer editor out there, but Valve says the HL2 one will be more than a map editor. You can't map now because the new one will include the HL2 game features like what can be moved/broken (and the noises they make), and the weather effects.

3. The game has not been released.
You can't code the mod, you can't map the mod, you can't play the mod. If you don't have the game so you can't test anything, how can you expect to have a mod?

This summer, Valve is going to have a "mod creation conference" where potential modders can get the code early and learn how to use all the mod creation tools they are making.

The only things you can do so far are make models (a free version of Softimage|XSI has been released), make textures/skins, and get ideas. Spend enough time trying to think about what it should be about so it becomes popular and doesn't end up looking horrible.

For now just get a website, get a team, and get some good ideas.

Well my mod tema is
A) Making model's now
B)Planning out systems and ideas
and
C)mapping out levels on graph paper

We are doing all of this so we can shoot for a early Beta (maybe as soon as january) and release it soon after HL2 is out.

*edit* and you dont even need softimage. there is a free plugin for3DSMax that exports to .xsi

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=40241&release_id=147707

Originally posted by synth
1. The game code has not been released.
This means you can't make anything about your game yet. The code is the game, so if you don't have code to modify, you can't make a game.

2. The HL2 Hammer editor has not been released.
There is a Hammer editor out there, but Valve says the HL2 one will be more than a map editor. You can't map now because the new one will include the HL2 game features like what can be moved/broken (and the noises they make), and the weather effects.

3. The game has not been released.
You can't code the mod, you can't map the mod, you can't play the mod. If you don't have the game so you can't test anything, how can you expect to have a mod?

This summer, Valve is going to have a "mod creation conference" where potential modders can get the code early and learn how to use all the mod creation tools they are making.

The only things you can do so far are make models (a free version of Softimage|XSI has been released), make textures/skins, and get ideas. Spend enough time trying to think about what it should be about so it becomes popular and doesn't end up looking horrible.

For now just get a website, get a team, and get some good ideas.
1.) You only need it for coding and mapping, which add up to about 25% of mod making, meaning we have 3 months to get that 75% done.
2.) So you get more mappers to make up for the time loss
3.) You don't need HL2 to test the incredible amount of work we can get done in those 3 short months
You also shortened the list of stuff we can do:
*Perfect the mod website
*Hire team members
*Start modelling
*Start texturing
*Start any FMVs
*Start sounds
*Start planning
*Start music
*Hire coders and mappers

That all winds up to be about 75% of a mod, it's a big amount of it and those that start now can get all that 75% done while others who have your views on the matter are just starting.

Same here as sidewinders post, except I have no team, just me at this point.

1. Building model's (you build the mesh and import it later)
2. gathering source material
3. sketching out maps
4. writing down My plans, and thinking it all through ahead of time.
5. gather sound samples

You obviously cant finish models or do actual level editing, but you CAN do some stuff to save alot of time when HL2 does get here.

The Punisher

well at the moment its me and dave on the team for my mod, and were planning extensivly to get everylast detail down on what will happen so that we know what to do when hammer, the code and hl2 are finally released :p

and im also planning maps by drawing them out. it helps alot u know

"You only need it for coding and mapping, which add up to about 25% of mod making" Oh my god. I'm now physically laughing. Thanks for brightening up my day.

I hope your list isnt prioritised. Website at the top of the list, hiring coders at the bottom. You really dont have a clue and your mod is doomed to fail.

No, the list isn't prioritized. While the percentages arn't 100% correct, you can still get an incredible deal of work done before release. Did you also laugh at Resistance & Liberation for starting their mod before the release of UT2k3? If you did I'm laughing at you because that's the best looking 2k3 mod yet.

Thats entirely irrelevant. I'm laughing at your lack of understanding of how mod's are made, not the argument of starting early. Starting early is a good idea.

You only need it for coding and mapping, which add up to about 25% of mod making, meaning we have 3 months to get that 75% done.

That's one of the funniest things I've heard. Not to mention that hiring tons of mappers to make up for lost time is a big mistake. Are you saying you'll take just anyone who says they can work with the Hammer editor? Good luck getting quality maps made that way. There's so much more that goes into mod making, most people who start up a mod will never get an alpha released. The hardest part of mod-making is finding talented, dedicated people that will finish the mod and make it worth playing.

That's why I have so few people on my team.

Also, how is that funny? There are ways around everything except for coding and mapping without the proper tools.

Because coding makes a game. Without it you have nothing. All the maps, models, etc is about 25% of the game. Code is the other 75%.

I'd just like to point out the fact that you can actually do maps----without the new hammer editor!!!

Anybody heard of 3dsm ?

Anbody heard of how Raven make large maps have small compile times?

Answers on this thread

Originally posted by Sirius
Because coding makes a game. Without it you have nothing. All the maps, models, etc is about 25% of the game. Code is the other 75%.
Sorry for the confusion, but I meant it as dividing up the jobs evenly, and also, now that coding is integrated into mapping that percentage is severely cut.

Originally posted by mrBadger
I'd just like to point out the fact that you can actually do maps----without the new hammer editor!!!

Anybody heard of 3dsm ?

you can make maps in 3DS Max, however they wont have the properties of objectis in HL2, they won't have interactable things in, they wont have physics...they might look nice, but thats not how to map a level.

I really don't see the point of this thread. What synth had originally stated is true, but that doesn't suit the topic. Maybe the topic should have been: "What mods can do for now."

Us mod leaders do realize that we cannot complete the mod before the release. We realize that mapping and coding cannot be started. We also realize that planning an original concept takes time as well and we might as well use the time from now until September 30th to think. Making models and completing them at least half finished (making the actual model and skinning it, animating and implementing into game will have to wait) is better than putting them off until the game gets released.

So let's just end the debate of 'You can't start a mod yet' right here, because you CAN, but with limitations.

Back