Why's the Lounge hidden?

Not really following the thread, but I know the shit went down if Toaster Pastry. So, I'll add that I tried to link something to my brother, then remembered he can't even see it.

Exactly, I started that thread about gaming laptops for my brother, and I intended on sending him the link so he could see the replies, but then I was all "oh wait, Pi's ashamed of us" and now my brother continues not knowing about this website.

I guess I'll just throw in my 2 cents as one of the regulars.

I've been inconvenienced by the hidden lounge several times when I'm trying to link my sister or Kathy to stuff.

I really, really don't think that's worth the goal of strengthening the infraction system. Like others have said, barely anyone is at level 3. They usually get banned outright, or if they are level 2 they will calm down and not do anything to reach 3.

I think "if it isn't broke" applies here. Was your infraction system failing somehow? I doubt it. And if it was, I doubt this move would fix it. Seems like a really weak reason to me.

cathy-ack2.jpg

"I DON'T GET A F*CK BOUT NO GODDAMN HL2.NET LEAVE ME ALONE VEGGIE"

Ok Ok, "to tie in with the infraction system", I get it. But why isn't it done only for those who are at some infraction system level or have been banned - temp or perm? Why should we all share the same fate? Is it just easier to make it a global thing and leave it be? Excuse me, I'm not arguing, I just want to say what's on my mind.

Kernel I'm not sure you understand this.

The section is invisible to people who are not logged in. So the level 3 people can still see the section, even though they can't post anything. This is to distinguish it from being banned, which would then remove your ability to look at those forums.

If that section wasn't hidden, there would basically be no real difference between level 3 and banned.

But like I said, I get the logic, but I don't think it's worth it at all.

People that have reached Level 3 are still registered users, right? They can't post, but can still see it, OK. But then why not distinguish registered users from banned users - meaning, non-infracted/infracted users could log out and still see The Lounge, but banned users could logg out as many times as they want, but not see it. Can't it be changed to suit this?

People that have reached Level 3 are still registered users, right? They can't post, but can still see it, OK. But then why not distinguish registered users from banned users - meaning, non-infracted/infracted users could log out and still see The Lounge, but banned users could logg out as many times as they want, but not see it. Can't it be changed to suit this?

You're either logged in or you're not logged in, right? For people who are logged in, there are tiers, ways of distinguishing between users, such as mods, regular members, anti-citizens and banned people. If you're not logged in, you're a visitor. Simple as. You can't distinguish between visitors except by their IP. That's why you log on.

Also, you can only log out once before having to log in again. HalfLife2.net is not an onion.

Because a banned user who logs out becomes a visitor.

Then can't a banned user be differentiated from a visitor? I know it would work only on his computer, by tracing his IP, but then visitors can see The Lounge. I also know that he could simply go to a new computer and re-register from then, but that happens even know.

If a banned user clears their cookies and visits the forums, then they're just a visitor. Unless they're banned by IP address.

Yes, but the difference is that visitors get to see it too, instead of having to register first.
Can't only banned-by-IP-address users be restricted of seeing it?

The point is keeping banned people from seeing it.

Many ISPs change your IP address constantly so that would be an easy loop hole to get around. For most people turning off the modem for a few hours would reset your IP.

Well I guess so, but it's the visitors' dilemma that concerns me most. Can't something be done about that?

It does become a minor hassle for me to have to log in everytime I want to view the lounge. I moved to Canada from Hong Kong about two weeks ago (going to U in canada), and whenever I have free time (and if my laptop is not with me), I'll pop on a random computer and start scrolling through the lounge. The thing is I forget to log off sometimes. and that could be bad.

I too stayed on this forum for the lounge, though I did not join because of the lounge, my activity has mainly been in the lounge. Sometimes I just like to check the lounge for new topics, but having to log in everytime becomes a minor chore for me.

Just my 2 cent

Well I guess so, but it's the visitors' dilemma that concerns me most. Can't something be done about that?

No. That's the issue being raised.

The choices are:

Hide the lounge from everyone except registered members who aren't banned.
Show the lounge to everyone.

Why don't we want infracted users to be able to see the lounge? It seems like implementing this punishment on infracted users actually is a much greater punishment on regular users and the health of the forum.

It just seems like the benefit is pretty small (punishing a very small number of people) and debatable whether that is a benefit at all and the cost is very high, crippling the use of off topic forums for everyone.

What?
Infracted users can see The Lounge. Banned/unregistered users can not.

Okay, banned users then, my point is still that you are hurting everyone just to be able to target the banned users.

How exactly is it hurting regular users?

You know how, Pi. We've been through it a thousand times.

I know, it's starting to look like some loop.

I thought the argument was that it was hurting people who were yet to become regular members??

Anyway why the hell would you want people who choose to join because of 'The Lounge' :D

I used to hop in and check on the forums in between doing other stuff. Work computer, smart phones, friend's computer. It's was easy to go in and see what was going on in the Off Topic forums.

I don't want to log in every time on random computers. It also takes a lot longer to log in to a website than it does to just go to a website. Sure if I was going to sit down and have the forum open for half an hour it's no problem, but if I want to check it for 10 seconds 20 times a day, the log in is a huge PITA.

Back