WikiLeaks informer revealed; US military analyst

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Federal officials have arrested an Army intelligence analyst who boasted of giving classified U.S. combat video and hundreds of thousands of classified State Department records to whistleblower site Wikileaks, Wired.com has learned.

SPC Bradley Manning, 22, of Potomac, Maryland, was stationed at Forward Operating Base Hammer, 40 miles east of Baghdad, where he was arrested nearly two weeks ago by the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division. A family member says he’s being held in custody in Kuwait, and has not been formally charged.

Manning was turned in late last month by a former computer hacker with whom he spoke online. In the course of their chats, Manning took credit for leaking a headline-making video of a helicopter attack that Wikileaks posted online in April. The video showed a deadly 2007 U.S. helicopter air strike in Baghdad that claimed the lives of several innocent civilians.

kinda looks like Solaris

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/06/leak/#ixzz0qBI6vH7X

Guy is a dumbass for bragging about leaking top secret information online. But in some ways he is also a hero for putting his ass on the line like that. The army will want to make an example out of him so he won't be seeing the light of day for a long while.

and a previously unreported breach consisting of 260,000 classified U.S. diplomatic cables that Manning described as exposing "almost criminal political back dealings."

ya this will be coming back to bite them on ass for years to come

"Everywhere there's a U.S. post, there's a diplomatic scandal that will be revealed," Manning wrote. "It's open diplomacy. World-wide anarchy in CSV format. It's Climategate with a global scope, and breathtaking depth. It's beautiful, and horrifying."

Someone should have told him it usually isn't a good idea to betray the trust of the country you're serving and then tell people about it. I wonder if the US Army still executes traitors.

Someone should have told him it usually isn't a good idea to betray the trust of the country you're serving and then tell people about it. I wonder if the US Army still executes traitors.

So you think people that blow the whistle on government cover ups of war crimes are traitors and should be executed?

Do you know what the pentagon papers are? The downing street memos? Should the people that leaked those be shot on sight?

So you think people that blow the whistle on government cover ups of war crimes are traitors and should be executed?

Do you know what the pentagon papers are? The downing street memos? Should the people that leaked those be shot on sight?

It is a crime to disseminate classified materials to other governments, or any parties not privy to said materials. So from a legal perspective, yes people who leak sensitive information regardless of their causes or supposed justification can be tried, and possibly found guilty of treason. As for execution that was curiosity on my part, I was wondering if the military still executes people for serious crimes, that said I personally do not agree with capitol punishment.

Whistle-blowers need to be mindful of what they are getting themselves into, if they feel they need to tell the world about something the government is doing, by all means have at it. It is just important to remember that if they are caught they will suffer the consequences of their actions.

I agree with you. But the way you said that made it seem as if these kinds of leaks should never be done.

And there is whistleblower protection in this country so it's not that clear cut legally, but I think this guy will get ****ed.

From what I understand, even wikileaks was alarmed (1/4 million classified documents that could put a lot of lives at risk) and that's why he was turned in.

But he's the guy who blew the whistle on the recent video of the attack helicopter on the civilians - you remember - the civilians with cameras that looked like rocket launchers?

A difficult situation for all parties concerned I'd say.

From what I understand, even wikileaks was alarmed (1/4 million classified documents that could put a lot of lives at risk) and that's why he was turned in.

But he's the guy who blew the whistle on the recent video of the attack helicopter on the civilians - you remember - the civilians with cameras that looked like rocket launchers?

You mean the video where they shot at an unarmed ambulance minutes unprovoked injuring 2 children and killing their father who was just there to help the wounded?

Seriously dude, what the **** is wrong with you? I know you are smarter than that.

You mean the video where they shot at an unarmed ambulance minutes unprovoked injuring 2 children and killing their father who was just there to help the wounded?

Seriously dude, what the **** is wrong with you? I know you are smarter than that.
What on earth would make you assume I was denouncing him for it? This is a theme with you lately, what happened to your reading comprehension? EDIT: I should say jumping to conclusions, rather.

Case in point:
Where in the world did you infer something negative (jumping to conclusions) from what both Matorbogl and I said? Please explain yourself.

EDIT: Let's roll with this.

I think that releasing 250,000 classified US documents to the public domain of the entire world is very very bad. However, exposing an atrocity (like shooting unarmed civilians) is a good thing - people should be accountable. So that's what I was saying.

What on earth would make you assume I was denouncing him for it? This is a theme with you lately, what happened to your reading comprehension? EDIT: I should say jumping to conclusions, rather.

Where in the world did you infer something negative (jumping to conclusions) from what both Matorbogl and I said? Please explain yourself.

EDIT: Let's roll with this.
They way Matorbogl said it made it sound like he was ok with him being treated like a traitor for this, he clarified.

What you did is try to suggest that what happened in that video might have been justified by pointing out that it looked like the people they shot at had weapons. This is true yes, but left out all the other important details and I don't think that was an accident on your part.

This might not be that big of a deal but the reason I snapped at you the way I did over this is because of your previous remarks in the Israel/Gaza thread. You offered up every possible excuse for what Israel did and tried to change the subject from what I was asking you, which was why Israel is tampering with evidance (something I still haven't got a reply on). So my apologies if I assumed this was another way for you to try and excuse an atrocity, it certainly sounded that way to me.

I think that releasing 250,000 classified US documents to the public domain of the entire world is very very bad. However, exposing an atrocity (like shooting unarmed civilians) is a good thing - people should be accountable. So that's what I was saying.

I would love to see what is in those documents before I make any kind of judgement. You should probably do the same.

Yeah, if you want to infer something negative: I believe that the man should be shot (or punished in other ways in accordance with law). It doesn't matter if what he did was right or wrong; his lack of loyalty is profoundly disturbing.

The leaking of those documents actually raises many questions about the security of classified documents. If one guy could leak 250,000 classified documents to wikileaks, why can't some other guy give one or two more sensitive documents (think nuclear defense plans) to a foreign government, thereby compromising the security of the nation?

I mean, Ok, sure, I haven't looked at all the quarter-million documents that he had leaked, but wouldn't many of those military reports cite statistical information on the deployment of US military units in the middle east? Or perhaps more sensitive matters. Governments don't classify their documents for no reason. And I highly doubt he took the time to censor the more dangerous materials beforehand.

Of course, I'm not saying that exposing atrocities were bad. Atrocities are illegal. (And immoral, of course) But by exposing those atrocities he has

#1. Betrayed the trust of his country, government, and his fellow comrades.

#2. Endangered the safety of servicemen in the middle east.

#3. Engaged in an illegal act.

So, while I'm going to laud the man for bringing into attention, and therefore allowing rectification thereof, the atrocities and breaches of common sense of the US military, I'm still going to despise him for being a dirty little traitor.

The leaking of those documents actually raises many questions about the security of classified documents. If one guy could leak 250,000 classified documents to wikileaks, why can't some other guy give one or two more sensitive documents (think nuclear defense plans) to a foreign government, thereby compromising the security of the nation?

Nuclear secrets and other high level classified intelligence aren't really handled by low level military analysts. None of this information he released compromises our national security, the reason those videos were classified was because politicians wanted to cover their own asses from obvious crimes.

Like I said, I wouldn't make any judgement about the 250,000 documents leaked but I bet money they are the same in nature. Nothing compromising to our national security, just people covering up crimes.

What you did is try to suggest that what happened in that video might have been justified by pointing out that it looked like the people they shot at had weapons.
This is true yes, but left out all the other important details and I don't think that was an accident on your part.
No, that's not what I did; it's not what it looked like I did, it's not what I did, and I went on to say again, that's not what I meant. You strike me as a bit loony with your inferences and rabid slander.
This might not be that big of a deal but the reason I snapped at you the way I did over this is because of your previous remarks in the Israel/Gaza thread. You offered up every possible excuse for what Israel did and tried to change the subject from what I was asking you, which was why Israel is tampering with evidance (something I still haven't got a reply on). So my apologies if I assumed this was another way for you to try and excuse an atrocity, it certainly sounded that way to me.
Wow, no not really. Arguing this in two threads with me? I just called it like I saw it.

You can't handle a difference of opinion on matters. Fake apology not accepted.
I would love to see what is in those documents before I make any kind of judgement. You should probably do the same.
Really, you want to read a bunch of classified documents? You sound more and more treacherous every day.

EDIT: And for hell's sake, it's spelled 'evidence'. Fix your spell checker.

well atleast the terrorist will be glad whit him
and I guess wikileaks will have more visit by them

No, that's not what I did; it's not what it looked like I did, it's not what I did, and I went on to say again, that's not what I meant. You strike me as a bit loony with your inferences and rabid slander.
What you did is clear. If this was a thread about Hitler it would be like you posted something along the lines of "you know, that Hitler guy had awesome political skills". Doesn't really tell the entire story, does it?

Wow, no not really. Arguing this in two threads with me? I just called it like I saw it.
I'm just pointing out this is another example of you trying to whitewash what happened. In that thread you apperently think tampering with evidance is standard procedure after 9 innocent people get killed. Here you are leaving out key details to make the situation look a lot less scandalous than it actually was.

You can't handle a difference of opinion on matters. Fake apology not accepted.
I am more than willing to handle difference of opinion as long as you have a good defense of that opinion. What I can't stand is sucking up corrupt to governments for reasons you can't explain.

Really, you want to read a bunch of classified documents? You sound more and more treacherous every day.

And you sound more and more like numbers every day. Yes, if those classified documents were classified to cover up crimes I want to see those documents. You don't? Why not?

EDIT: And for hell's sake, it's spelled 'evidence'. Fix your spell checker

I'm too lazy to use a spell checker, you'll just have to deal with it.

Chill out No Limit. The way i interpreted VirusType2s post was that he was making a joke out of the "camera looked like weapons" excuse. I dont think he was serious and actually believes they look like rocket launchers, he was just pointing out the fun in that stupid excuse, like those pics of cameras with "AK-47" written underneith all of them.

I wonder how you would react to watching standup comedy, taking everything seriously and getting upset at each joke.

Dont mean to join the your little fight here, just sharing my thoughts. lol

Virustype2 said:

are you serious? simply reading it is treason?

Chill out No Limit. The way i interpreted VirusType2s post was that he was making a joke out of the "camera looked like weapons" excuse. I dont think he was serious and actually believes they look like rocket launchers, he was just pointing out the fun in that stupid excuse, like those pics of cameras with "AK-47" written underneith all of them.

I wonder how you would react to watching standup comedy, taking everything seriously and getting upset at each joke.

Dont mean to join the your little fight here, just sharing my thoughts. lol

I don't think you interpreted that correctly, did he Virus?

rofl No Limit is still completely insane, looks like (hint: the post was obviously in jest you rabid lunatic!)

What a complicated situation! It'd be very difficult for me to decide on taking a side considering how many factors are involved.

oh wait this is a forum I forgot

BURN THE KID, DISMANTLE THE GOVERNMENT

hell yeah bro :dozey: :smoking:

It's great, really, almost like you somehow got even more insane. I guess posting for years on Politics would drive anyone over the brink of insanity.

One last question, who the hell is this guy?

Yes, what Ravioli said is exactly what I meant. God damn, are you ****ing dumb?

Sorry. Listen, you have been aggravating me and I thought you were doing it on purpose -- purposefully misunderstanding me and using it as a platform to attack me because you don't like my point of view on an entirely different topic.

This is why I don't bother explaining myself all the time - because I thought you have been misunderstanding me on purpose. Like you actually knew what I meant.

Yes, what Ravioli said is exactly what I meant. God damn, are you ****ing dumb?

Sorry. Listen, you have been aggravating me and I thought you were doing it on purpose -- purposefully misunderstanding me and using it as a platform to attack me because you don't like my point of view on an entirely different topic.

This is why I don't bother explaining myself all the time - because I thought you have been misunderstanding me on purpose. Like you actually knew what I meant.

So you were making fun people that use the camera thing as an excuse? Gee, how in the world did anyone miss that.

And I see, because I didn't understand your brilliant "joke" you don't need to address anything else I said. Such as why you think tampering with evidance after 9 innocent people are killed is ok or how reading classified material that covered up government crimes makes you a traitor.

Haven't smoked out of aluminum in ages, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when nothing else is around. Lately it's been strictly pyrex. But thanks for your concern.

And it might be the wrong thread, but anytime you want to address why I'm a traitor in that other thread feel free to do so.

And it might be the wrong thread, but anytime you want to address why I'm a traitor in that other thread feel free to do so.

That's in this thread. Lol. Oh, man.

The imperious browbeating that you seem to be notorious for is some bullshit.

And stop putting words in my mouth. There is a big difference between "treacherous" and "traitor". You might be confusing it with "treason". Have a look at a dictionary.

Sure, let look it up in the dictionary:

treacherous - the act of treachery

Look up treachery:

violation of allegiance or of faith and confidence

So I see, Im not a traitor, I just don't have any allegiance to the united states because I don't think the government should be making materials classified to cover up crimes. You got me.

Ok, the difference isn't big as I thought, but I think it's an important distinction.

Treacherous meaning dangerous, risky and untrustworthy.
Marked by betrayal of fidelity, confidence, or trust; risky

Traitor meaning guilty.
One who betrays one's country, a cause, or a trust, especially one who commits treason.

Whatever, it's different. I didn't call you a traitor.

No, you just called me unamerican because I think the government shouldn't cover up its crimes by classifying evidance of those crimes.

Look, it boils down to this. After rereading this thread maybe I made too big of a deal out of your reply in this thread. The way it sounded to me was that well those cameras looked like weapons, so there was no controversy there. You said you don't believe that and that's not what you meant, fair enough so sorry for overreacting.

But I still think the excuses you were making about Israel's actions are deplorable. As is your suggestion that I'm unamerican because I wanted to see those documents if those documents in fact showed crimes.

ahahaha I love it, he must be drinking mercury

Shouldn't you be somewhere else making a dumb spam thread?

Personally, I think the guy's a hero and an American patriot, unlike all those bullshit politicians and officers that are going to eat him alive. It takes great balls to call your own country out on its own bullshit, especially when the country in question is, well, America.

I wonder how he's going to be murdered by the American government, though. It's bound to happen.

Yes yes, spam is less constructive than making the most ridiculous straw man arguments possible over and over for literally years.

Whistleblowing about government coverups is one thing, compromising national security to make a name for yourself by releasing everything possible is another. It seems difficult to determine if the guy is guilty of the latter, but it also seems likely.

I've been making strawman arguments literally for years and years? WTF are you talking about brah? But I didn't know I had a fan, kind of scary.

Yes, it seems difficult to determine that because we have no clue what is in those documents. And until we know or until someone that has them says if they compromise national security you are just talking out of your ass. So you might be better off trolling somewhere else, make some more dumb threads in the lounge if you must.

Look at this thread alone, you're on Straw Man Argument #2 already. See, there was this disclosure in my post about how it is difficult to determine if the guy has done the latter. You ignored this to intentionally misinterpret my post, so you could justify getting in a huff.

I remember you from quite a while ago, still using the same dumb forum debate tactics and generally being a raving lunatic. Be proud, you're insanity is remembered. You don't own the Politics forum because of that though. I mean, Stern probably has that title out of anyone ;)

Look at this thread alone, you're on Straw Man Argument #2 already. See, there was this disclosure in my post about how it is difficult to determine if the guy has done the latter. You ignored this to intentionally misinterpret my post, so you could justify getting in a huff.

I remember you from quite a while ago, still using the same dumb forum debate tactics and generally being a raving lunatic. Be proud, you're insanity is remembered. You don't own the Politics forum because of that though. I mean, Stern probably has that title out of anyone ;)
King of the politics forum, that sounds fun, maybe we should have an election!

Back