Will this happen, YES, NO or MAYBE?

I certainly dread the idea of living forever, mainly because I'm curious about what comes after death, which to me i just as interesting if not more interesting than what's going to happen in the future. I believe that in death you will see all that stuff anyway.

Why is the concept of death so hard for people to grasp?
You were dead for over 13 billion years before you were born and you weren't frolicking with angels or getting poked in the arse by satan.
When you die. You are, uh.. dead. So like.... you cease to live? You no longer possess consciousness? You do not exist as a being? YOU ARE DEAD.

If that's the case, you shouldn't really bother doing anything in life - 'cause every single experience, motive and action you decide to take is going to lead to the same thing at the end.

NeptuneUK, who has blessed you with this knowledge of the afterlife? I'd like to get in touch with them.

If that's the case, you shouldn't really bother doing anything in life - 'cause every single experience, motive and action you decide to take is going to lead to the same thing at the end.

Well, that's life for ya.

Atheism: the most well-hidden excuse for apathy ever conceived.

Does it not imply the opposite? You only have one life so make the most of it!

But if the end result is complete loss of consciousness for eternity, living my life to the fullest wont make any difference once I'm there.

But what do you see?

1bBUC.jpg

But if the end result is complete loss of consciousness for eternity, living my life to the fullest wont make any difference once I'm there.

Nothing makes a difference at the end. So make the most of things before then.

You were dead for over 13 billion years before you were born and you weren't frolicking with angels or getting poked in the arse by satan.
When you die. You are, uh.. dead. So like.... you cease to live? You no longer possess consciousness? You do not exist as a being? YOU ARE DEAD.
You wish. Too bad you'll be ****ed by karma in the next incarnation if you decide to be a DICKHOLE in this one

You know, this argument could very easily be used against the concept of a universe coming from nothing. But I shall only sit back and chuckle to myself at this amusing find.

Eh. We'd have to be able to travel the universe and go to other worlds before I would consider living forever.

it's easily solved. just substitute the afterlife with any number of made up things like

"how do you know there are no unicorns?"

"how do you know there is no santa claus?"

sounds pretty silly right? ya same applies for the afterlife

Oh great, the thread devolved into a religion debate. How droll.

Aww only kidding guys, why so serious? You can ALL go to heaven.
trollface.png

You don't ride a roller coaster for the finish.

it's easily solved. just substitute the afterlife with any number of made up things like

"how do you know there are no unicorns?"

"how do you know there is no santa claus?"

sounds pretty silly right? ya same applies for the afterlife
Ya, you're dead when you die. It's okay though, you still are living in some part of the multiverse

I'm a scientist. And as a scientist, I believe if God exists, our knowledge of him is imperfect. Why? Because the stories and myths we have are the products of men, the passage of time. The religion you practice is based on a theory, impossible to prove. Yet you bestow it with absolutes like, "There is no such thing as coincidence."

I'm a scientist ... The religion you practice is based on a theory, impossible to prove.

You are not a scientist. If you were, you would have said: "The religion you practice is based on a hypothesis, wich is impossible to prove".

Remus, I'm not sure if you know this or not...but its nearly impossible to take you seriously with that smirk on your face

I'm the all knowing minecraft cube. Inside of me is plenty of unknowns

Oh great, the thread devolved into a religion debate. How droll.

I'm sure everyone will try harder next time to take threads in a direction that is more pleasing to you.

Appeals from either end of the theist/atheist spectrum about our fate after death and how that should affect our waking life are both trite and pointless to me. Both of them rely on some kind of gnostic understanding of existence that (and I'm going to make an empirical statement here, yes I noticed the irony) nobody ****ing has. You don't. I've read and watched countless arguments from theists on the existence of God, and the best proof of their knowledge of God - as opposed to their belief in him/her/it - is always some nicely-worded combination of "he spoke to me" and "just look around you!" These are logically inadequate to present your knowledge to others, the best you can do is merely convince them you might be right. Likewise, the most reasonable atheists I've encountered choose not to speak in absolutes and instead say that they don't believe, or find it incredibly improbable, that a God exists. An agnostic approach to either side is the only reasonable position, because "proving" either belief or non-belief in an empirical sense is practically impossible.

THEREFORE, what happens after death is a crapshoot. Maybe you go to the pearly gates, maybe you rot in the ground, maybe it's something completely different. But for the love of <non-descript deity of ambiguous existence>, please stop saying that the finality of death makes your life pointless somehow. How ****ing shallow is that, really? Think of all your loved ones who've ever died. As far as you know, they no longer exist in any tangible sense. Did that make their lives any less meaningful to you? Would you wish that they were never born, simply because they weren't able to experience something after death? The same applies to your life. You affect those around you, you make your mark on the world, and thus you are immortal, in a sense. It's just not a selfish sense which you're able to live out yourself. Or maybe it is. Either way, deal w/ it.

Anyway I'm not trying to turn this into another religious debate, I just wanted to get that off my chest. :v

If The Matrix taught me anything it's that robots are dicks.

Appeals from either end of the theist/atheist spectrum about our fate after death and how that should affect our waking life are both trite and pointless to me. Both of them rely on some kind of gnostic understanding of existence that (and I'm going to make an empirical statement here, yes I noticed the irony) nobody ****ing has. You don't.

I do, bro. Just trip a few times on acid and you'll see god.

what happens after death is a crapshoot. Maybe you go to the pearly gates, maybe you rot in the ground, maybe it's something completely different. But for the love of <non-descript deity of ambiguous existence>, please stop saying that the finality of death makes your life pointless somehow.
I don't understand these people's position. How could anyone take that stance and not come to a pragmatist conclusion? Your life, in the moment, is the only sure thing you have. Take advantage of it. Enjoy it. Make it meaningful.

And the easiest way to make it meaning full is to live by the word of God.

Back