Worried about this Alyx character..

shibs_himself

Reaction score
Hi, I'm semi-new here.

This alyx character worries me. She seems to be an easy solution to moving the story along in the game. In the original HL you picked up bits and peices of the story from talking to different NPC's you met around the game world.

With Alyx around, does that mean she'll be the source of all of our news? Will they throw in annoying missions like "protect alyx as she runs through this minefeild"? The idea of having to do missions where Alyx tags along and can't be killed bothers me. I've played to many annoying games that had this (espcially RTS's)

I know HL1 was probably supposed to give you the feeling of being alone so I guess Alyx and these other new main characters (the doctors) are supposed to give you a feeling that you've been with these people for awhile (fighting with them in city 17). I enjoyed the feeling of being alone and thrown into chaos without knowing whats going on all the time.

Any thoughts on these new characters?

I am positive Alyx won't be your only source of information, just look at the movie with Barney and the other scientists!

No, I think most of the Alyx encounters will be meet-and-talk type of affairs as you saw in the sewer video. She's not going to follow you around all the time.

Yea, besides, that event with Alyx was just a demo, she didn't give away any info we didn't know already. I wouldn't worry about it. I hope they do something about her face though, she looks like....idk. She looks like she has a pudgy fat face. But in the wallpaper pics, the ones with her holding the wrench, standing next to gordon with his crowbar, she looks hot.

a video game character looking hot =p

sad but true.

I'm not thinking she'll follow you around all the time. I can just easily see a scenario where "alyx has to get the machine ready to operate but there are aliens attacking, gordon, hold off the aliens and don't let her get hurt!"

i really hate those.

Yeah, they should slap a nicer ass on her. :p

nah.... she doesn;t need gordons help to survive...... she can kick plenty of ass herself im sure.

look.... Valve gave us the first game..... and it was the best game ever!! they think that the second is MUCH better..... so lets trust them and wait and see eh??

Kam

Originally posted by Lifthz
Yeah, they should slap a nicer ass on her. :p

Phwoar, yeah, polygons. Excuse me while I go to the bathroom.

Originally posted by Kamakazie
nah.... she doesn;t need gordons help to survive...... she can kick plenty of ass herself im sure.

look.... Valve gave us the first game..... and it was the best game ever!! they think that the second is MUCH better..... so lets trust them and wait and see eh??

Kam

Well, I don't think Half-Life was the best game ever personally. It was indeed one of the top best games ever though.

Best game ever for when it came out. :p

ONE of the best games. The best game ever was definately Final Fantasy 7.

would be good if you had to protect her but if she died the game could continue.. just you wont get any help

Originally posted by guinny
ONE of the best games. The best game ever was definately Final Fantasy 7.

Nah, that game was the best game ever for the time that it came out though...

Originally posted by Punzz
would be good if you had to protect her but if she died the game could continue.. just you wont get any help

You and I and everyone else knows that won't happen. Half-Life 2 is not an open ended RPG... heheh. It's a game based on a linear story/scripted events and that won't happen.

You won't need to protect her. For one thing, she carries her own guns and its quite capable of looking after herself, by the looks of it.

She's also got that little robot called Dog, which I'm sure will have some kind of defence mechanism.

Lifthz, it's not based on scripted events, nor is the story linear anymore. If you read what Gabe said, the story is alot more open to dramatic things happening, I.E a main character dying, the story would go on. And the story can go more than one way depending on the characters that are alive at what point in the story. Gabe said this himself a while back, that the game shouldn't feel like you need to restart, he wants to give it as realistic a feel as possible, and the show will go on, with or with out Alyx. And no, Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game, ever. ;)

Lifthz, it's not based on scripted events, nor is the story linear anymore. If you read what Gabe said, the story is alot more open to dramatic things happening, I.E a main character dying, the story would go on. And the story can go more than one way depending on the characters that are alive at what point in the story. Gabe said this himself a while back, that the game shouldn't feel like you need to restart, he wants to give it as realistic a feel as possible, and the show will go on, with or with out Alyx. And no, Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game, ever. ;)

Hmmm... so if Alex dies the game would still go on? That's amazing then. :p :p

So the story will have multiple branches. Cool.

Let's hope so, because on the first chance I get; I'll be putting a bullet through Alyx's head. Gordon Freeman works alone!

According to Gabe, yes. I'll see if I can find a direct quote...

Guinny, I know Alyx's face looks bigger in game than actually in that wrench pic, but it doesn't make her look fat :\. But to agree with you,
The best game ever was definately Final Fantasy 7.
Agreed! :D

Gojin, I love you man. :) I almost cried when Aeris died. :(

Anyway, on topic. Come on man, she looks pudgy. Like a husky momma. :p

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Phwoar, yeah, polygons. Excuse me while I go to the bathroom.

Haha

The final fantasy series didn't really do it for me.

Like he said this isn't an open ended RPG and its not too[/] linear. But it will have linear qualities, for want of a better phrase. It is after all a F.P.S. You are going to be playing through a story that is set in stone. You wont be able to do as you please and finish how you like. Maybe they will have a similar thing as HL at the end where you choose but not much else. Its likely they will incorporate 'separate routes' and things like that but it will lead to the same end. After all how would they make HL3 without knowing how people were going to end HL2?

Alyx looks like a real woman to me. Unlike characters such as Lara Croft.

For those of you planning to shoot Alyx:
She'd shoot you back. It would annoy her. Dog would kick your ass.
Yes, Dog would officially kick your ass. :cheers:

What if I hit her with a crowbar? ehh? ehh?

Dog is probably indestructable, so if you kill Alyx, he'll kill you, thus it won't look like "oh u killed a main character, you automatically die"

Dog is armed with a turbocharged crawbar. You can run, but you can't hide.

P.S. I hope they release some screenshots of the "DOG" because right now I can only imagine him as looking like this:

mdk2_screen.jpg

LOL. What the hell is that? Looks like a midget alien holding dual plasma pistols, starting at the sky.

No, its a dog with pistols...

All of the FFs were crap imo, i hate RPGs :)

LOL. What the hell is that? Looks like a midget alien holding dual plasma pistols, starting at the sky.

Haven't you played MDK2?

04042100556.jpg

Ahhh MDK2 sequel to one of the best games ever, also. MDK2 has a special place in my Heart too :p

Great games. Think ill go play them both now actaully :)

I miss the dreamcast, even if there was only a handful of good games for it.

just cuz alyx has her own gun and is "tough" doesn't mean ya wont' have to protect her in a mission.

I'll say it again, the scenario is alyx has to setup some weird scientifici device but aliens are pouring in from all different sides of the room. While alyx adjusts dials and hit's switches, she needs you to cover her.

I won't be surprised if something like this is in the game.

Does anyone have an real info on "dog"? I've never heard of this before.

Sidekicks... Psht.

We all know sidekicks attained perfection in Fallout 2. Every one of those guys has a special place in my heart. 'Specially the robot dog and Sulik.

Back