Xbox 360 spring update - this week

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Beginning the week of May 7, users of Windows Live Messenger on Xbox 360 can text chat using the virtual keyboard accessible on Xbox 360, or by connecting a USB keyboard to the console. This summer Microsoft will launch a QWERTY text-input device, a new accessory that will connect directly into the Xbox 360 controller to support text and instant messaging.

Other New Features
Beyond Windows Live Messenger, the Spring Update for Xbox 360 includes hundreds of new features and enhancements including:

* A richer Achievement notification pop-up will showcase the name of the unlocked Achievement and the gamerscore value without needing to leave the game to check the Achievements list.
* Enhanced family settings features for Xbox LIVE communications enable different defaults for video chat and voice chat.
* A new Xbox LIVE Marketplace blade lets Xbox LIVE members access the content they seek?whether it is game content or TV shows and movies (available in the United States)?from one place on Xbox LIVE.
* Updates to Xbox LIVE Arcade allow owners to quickly see which Xbox LIVE Arcade games their friends are playing and join in the fun. Xbox LIVE members can also compare progress of leaderboard scores and Achievements directly with all friends on their friends list. Expanded "Tell a Friend" capabilities make it easier than ever to boast about Achievements and high scores.
* Expanded "Tell a Friend" capabilities make it easier than ever to boast about Achievements and high scores.
* A new option in Auto Downloads provides faster access to the entire collection of free, trial-version Xbox LIVE Arcade games.
* New progressive download controls provide easy access to optimal viewing options by letting people fast-forward, rewind, pause and resume as their video is downloaded from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
* Extension of the background download functionality will allow owners to set their Xbox 360 console to turn off automatically after downloads are complete.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0408-im.htm

Thanks for the update, Q8!

Nice touch with the MSN part, but how about an internet explorer? I've two strong words for MS.... Come on.... cam aaaan!

Oddly enough, for such a small thing, I like the achievement update, sounds sweet.

Why do they have the keyboard connect through the controller? So you have to buy their keyboard, instead of using a USB keyboard?

cant u use USB Keyboard already ?

oh yea.

hrm, then whats this for?
This summer Microsoft will launch a QWERTY text-input device, a new accessory that will connect directly into the Xbox 360 controller to support text and instant messaging.

It might be a little keypad lol.

yea i think its what they call " Thumb Keyboard "

Xbox%20360%20Keyboard%20scaled.jpg

This is the device M$ are launching soon. It's either a redesigned controller, or a keyboard attachment that plugs in to a controller. It comes with a redesigned headset too.

I like the idea of talking to my MSN buddies through my 360 ... plus i've just bought a 40" HDTV ... good times :D

I quite like the look of that wee keyboard. I mean yeah, it will probably be a pain in the ass to have a conversation - but when I turn on my 360 I turn it on to play games.

I suppose this will just mean I can more readily get my mates off Messenger, because I just wouldn't want to use Messenger with that dam on-screen keyboard. I don't use it enough to be any good with it.

I can see it being usefull for quickly setting up matchs with my mates and stuff... but at the same time all my mates have voice coms... I wish there was a better group chat facility.

meh, ok, pretty cool. But for the ultimate cool factor, the keys should be back-lit blue and not cost extra.

Id rather just have a regular keyboard.

Agreed. I'd rather have a regular keyboard and headset.

I don't IM anyone, so it's useless to me, but if people want it, well give them what they want. Maybe I will see a use for it if 'everyone is doing it'

You've been able to connect and use USB keyboards since.. launch, or for a long time anyway.

Can't believe you thought they were launching a new controller but than again, you said 'm$' and failed to know you can use USB keyboards.

Need some help turning on your PC, x-factor ? It's pretty, shiny button on the front.

You can connect any USB keyboard to the 360 and use that, or you can use this thumbpad which allows you to just quickly type things out without having to switch peripherals.

Those who have blackberries or such will probably use the thumbpad since they're so used to the concept anyways.

Can't wait for this update. It'll be interesting connecting my MSN and XBL accounts.

About the internet on the console, I think the idea is sorta silly... Right now it's just a bragging point of "we have internet lol", but honestly I have _never_ seen any of my friends use the browsers on their Wii or PS3. No real use for it right now. I remember Major Nelson posted on his blog (in his comments), that the Xbox team wants to hear the scenarios people want for use with internet on the 360. It was all useless crap that I read and is just a bragging point... Plus, would you really want to worry about security updates on your 360? I think the 360 shouldn't get a browser.

anyone else gonna wait to see if this update turns 360's into "bricks" like the november one did before downloading it?
(run-on sentence :p)

About the internet on the console, I think the idea is sorta silly... Right now it's just a bragging point of "we have internet lol", but honestly I have _never_ seen any of my friends use the browsers on their Wii or PS3. No real use for it right now. I remember Major Nelson posted on his blog (in his comments), that the Xbox team wants to hear the scenarios people want for use with internet on the 360. It was all useless crap that I read and is just a bragging point... Plus, would you really want to worry about security updates on your 360? I think the 360 shouldn't get a browser.
It's really nothing but a bragging right. Though I have used my Wii to browse on certain video sites to watch Futurama and stuff...

Do they have proper Flash support for the Wii Opera?

I'd buy a Wii solely to play Madness Interactive with the Wii-mote.

It's out.

Edit: Updated, awesome so far ! A lot of excellent little changes.

omg, guess what happend i just turned my xbox 360 on to download the update to find that ITS DIED !!!!!!
RED LIGHTS AAAAAHH DEATH !!!!

wtf...why today ? WHY !?

omg, guess what happend i just turned my xbox 360 on to download the update to find that ITS DIED !!!!!!
RED LIGHTS AAAAAHH DEATH !!!!

wtf...why today ? WHY !?

your little brother that you may or may not have did it. Hes been sneaking some 360 time when you are away. He broke it.'

That sux BTW.

Can you replace it?

your little brother that you may or may not have did it. Hes been sneaking some 360 time when you are away. He broke it.'

That sux BTW.

Can you replace it?
no, fuk it
and im the youngest !

I can't get messenger becuase it says I have a child account. That is ********.

I can't get messenger becuase it says I have a child account. That is ********.
Probably has something to do with the Xbox Live parental controls. Go switch some settings around!

child account lol
anyways, so far so good.. the update is great.. especially the addition of messenger

Did they do away with the little messenger window feature, or am I just too stupid to figure out how to enable it?

This is what I'm talking about:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...ring-update-dummy-story-20070408071405227.jpg

Nevermind, I found it...

Going into overlay mode:

When you have any open conversations, Windows + M will bring up the overlay over whatever you are doing. You can see the last few lines of a conversation and enter a message. This is a great way to exchange quick messages while watching a movie or playing a game!

Probably has something to do with the Xbox Live parental controls. Go switch some settings around!

I did! It still won't let me! Does it check my age through my hotmail address? Can I change it?

I did! It still won't let me! Does it check my age through my hotmail address? Can I change it?
D:

It might... I'm not sure. You could try calling MS support, they'd know better than I do.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124102

We have the same issue that a ton of people are facing.

In a nutshell, anyone who created an account when they were under 18, it is a PERMANENT child account. Even if you are over 18, it will always be a child account. Nothing you can do.

They say they are working on a fix for the FALL (yup, fall) update. Until then, join in on the Xbox Forums and help gain MS' attention.

http://forums.xbox.com/1/12328863/ShowPost.aspx

We need to get this changed, because it's so annoying.

*Edit* Just put this on Digg... Hopefully it will get to front page because that will cause it to get noticed for sure.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Microsoft_not_allowing_child_accounts_to_use_Messenger/

In a nutshell, anyone who created an account when they were under 18, it is a PERMANENT child account. Even if you are over 18, it will always be a child account. Nothing you can do.

WHAT?! Okay i'll admit I am not 18 yet but that is ridiculous!

Erm ... Now i've linked my 360 user to my MSN / WLM profile, every time i sign in to XBL, it auto-signs in to MSN ... is there a way I can make it automatically appear offline on MSN? I don't want everyone on MSN bugging me whilst im trying to play games ... (right now its a nightmare)

Back