Your favorite game of all time

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
What is it? and why?

EDIT - dont say you have multiple. If you do I will kill you.

Borderlands 2 is making a pretty good go for my number 1 right now.

This is a really tough one. Even though I haven't beat it, probably Dark Souls. Everything is so satisfying in that game. The combat, the boss fights, even the story. You have to work to learn the lore and story of the game, rather than just get fed everything. But the Mass Effect series and System Shock 2 deserve a definite honorable mention.

Deus Ex.
Woo, another boring answer.

Don't we have a catalog of these threads already? In fact, I believe Riom went all out a couple times and gathered an hl2.net's collective all time favorites.

Im sure this thread existed a 100 times over on this forum. I'm just trying to keep this place AWAKE. Days go by without a new thread and it becomes drab. So I tried to sorta..spark...the forum if you will.

And favorite game of all time, drum roll please for the cliche answer:

Final Fantasy 7. Yes, many will disagree with this, but I grew up on this game. My imagination stems from the very foundation of this games existence. No game is yet to affect or move me even remotely as much as FF7.

I'm going to go with the one I have reinstalled the most times.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Little Big Adventure 2, also known as Twinsen's Odyssey.

System Shock 2. Deus Ex comes close but System Shock caters to my love of survival horror, sci-fi, and FPS with RPG elements.

Do you hate Mirror's Edge that much?

Should've said Bioshock for maximum rage.

The boring answer for me would be to say Half Life 2. Ignoring that game, its a toss up between Deus Ex: HR, Dark Souls, and X3: Terran Conflict.

MechWarrior 4 hands down, no contest. The online play and the (now defunct) community was just so awesome.

Planescape: Torment.
Ooooh, nice one!
Final Fantasy 7. Yes, many will disagree with this, but I grew up on this game. My imagination stems from the very foundation of this games existence. No game is yet to affect or move me even remotely as much as FF7.
Final Fantasy 7 is probably mine too. It was the first game that affected me to such a degree that I actually pretty much abandoned life in order to keep playing. I traded in my N64 and all my games solely to get my own PS and FF7.
Honourable mentions for me are Diablo 2, the original UFO, and the original Syndicate. Hell, I could list so many....

I have so many good memories from Dark Forces II (and its expansion pack) before Half-Life came along. You know, the ability to use force powers was a huge selling point at the time - many other games like Requiem tried to copy them, but they all have failed. I miss the Nar Shaddaa levels (and Kyle's old home). Also:

http://www.mediafire.com/?stx6t3sj8c3w3fy

Mine is Minecraft. It has done things that other games have not done before.

I cant decide between Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, or Legacy of Kain: Soulreaver, their both equally my favorite.

Bugger it, Ill go with the game that started it, mine is Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

I'm assuming you were trying to show that infiniminer was a superior game, but that video was entirely pointless, and would have made me think that minecraft probably destroys it.

He means it was released before Minecraft and has the same basic gameplay.

Minecraft does more stuff, though.

Yeah, Infiniminer had done Minecraft before Minecraft. Notch even admits to having the idea to take it further after Infiniminer sourcecode had been leaked.

I don't actually know if I have a favorite game.

I used to play a shit-ton of Roller Coaster Tycoon, around the same time I put 150 hours into a save file on Pokemon Blue.

Then there was OOT and Descent: Freespace.

Then came Metroid Prime and Half-Life 2.

Can't forget about Eve: Online. I've logged well over 1000 hours in that game.

But the one that garners the most memories and emotional attachment is probably Golden Sun and its sequel.

Monkey Island 2.

The first game was my first ever adventure game that I felt invested enough in to finish. Then Monkey 2 was announced and the painful wait for the Amiga version began. When I finally got my hands on it my mind was blown. There has never been a game since that I found as well written. Shame it took until Telltale got their hands on it for it to get anywhere near it's previous greatness.

Borderlands 2 is making a pretty good go for my number 1 right now.
This. I effing love loot and shoot games so it's right up my alley (hurrrr) along with the original and games like Fallout.

Add the awesome humour and plot (the original lacking more in the plot department) and Borderlands 2 is possibly the most fun I've had on an FPS in a long while and I've played it till I cried fictional guns.

This. I effing love loot and shoot games so it's right up my alley (hurrrr) along with the original and games like Fallout.

Add the awesome humour and plot (the original lacking more in the plot department) and Borderlands 2 is possibly the most fun I've had on an FPS in a long while and I've played it till I cried fictional guns.
Same. Borderlands completely blew me away with its mix of crass humour and slightly different approach to your standard FPS fare. BL2 was pre-bought. And the Fallout games are awesome in my opinion too. Only reason they didn't make my all time top is purely down to the time I've invested in the ones I mentioned.

Civilization 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 two games that I still have trouble putting down after all these years

Half-Life 2, not just because its game of the DECADE but a modding community that's still going reasonably strong despite that Hammer SDK sucks and the fact that UDK and CryEngine 3 have better/easier to use tools, and yet Orange Box Source modding scene is more impressive.

I can't even imagine what HL3/Source 2 modding scene will be like.

Half-Life 2, not just because its game of the DECADE but a modding community that's still going reasonably strong despite that Hammer SDK sucks and the fact that UDK and CryEngine 3 have better/easier to use tools, and yet Orange Box Source modding scene is more impressive.

I can't even imagine what HL3/Source 2 modding scene will be like.

If it ever comes out. Seriously.

It will come out, and it will be worth the wait.

At this point I don't even think Valve has been doing anything with the HL series. They've gotten so wrapped up in Steam and their Steambox console and all this other shit. I don't believe any plans for the next installment of HL are even in place. That bugs me because if you REALLY think about it, HL2 is almost ten years old. Ten years.

Well yeah it's been ten years but you can't just ignore the two episodes they put out in the meantime.

Back