Zeitgeist - a wonderful explanation of religion and its history

tehsolace

Reaction score
Part One explains the history of religion and its origins, and focuses greatly on the true origins of Christianity.

As I was watching this, everything began to make so much more sense to me.

Note: it starts off with a slow intro that could probably be skipped.
Skip to 7 min and 45 seconds and watch from there.

[GVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5547481422995115331&hl=en[/GVIDEO]

I haven't yet watched Part II (or any other parts) yet...

But we might miss part of the explosion montage D:

EDIT: UGH 9/11 CONSPIRACY

From religion to 911 conspiracy? This WAS good.

wow part 2 is quite possibly even more eye opening.

The more I'm watching, yeah...

but I forsee this thread going downhill with people hitting it hard. There are some things that you just can't deny...and how do you do it? "OH THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT" I don't know, everything is just confusing this days.

*EDIT* Eh, part III is boring. :(

Part three is the most important one.

Wrong forum for this however, I think.

It's the most important? It was talking about British and the American Revolution. Did it actually have anything in it? I skipped ahead to the Vietnam War.

Part three is the most important one.

Wrong forum for this however, I think.

If you're referring to the video and images forum, the description clearly states for "links to funny videos and images"

It's saying that at the most simplistic interpretation, most major events of the last 100 years of American history have been controlled by "the man." (Vietnam, World Wars, economic crises, terrorist actions, Iraq/Afghanistan...)

Is it me or is part seem totally out of place. I mean it works with part three, but not with part two (9/11 conspiracy) at all...

@solace, no, I meant it sort of belongs in politics. I like it here, however, as a lot of people avoid the politics forum and I think if any bit of parts 2/3 is true... I mean what does that mean for America?

I'm going to show it to a few of my politically active friends and see what they think tomorrow... What's the source of the film? Is it online (ie free?) or would it be illegal to copy?

I wish it would cite more sources for part 2.

It comes off as a little too much like Loose Change.

It's saying that at the most simplistic interpretation, most major events of the last 100 years of American history have been controlled by "the man." (Vietnam, World Wars, economic crises, terrorist actions, Iraq/Afghanistan...)

Is it me or is part seem totally out of place. I mean it works with part three, but not with part two (9/11 conspiracy) at all...

@solace, no, I meant it sort of belongs in politics. I like it here, however, as a lot of people avoid the politics forum and I think if any bit of parts 2/3 is true... I mean what does that mean for America?

I'm going to show it to a few of my politically active friends and see what they think tomorrow... What's the source of the film? Is it online (ie free?) or would it be illegal to copy?

after seeing part 2 and 3 yea it probably belongs in politics. but i posted it after only seeing part 1, which seemed out of place as a religious topic...

i have no idea of any copyrights. i saw it on youtube and the original poster said youtube kept flagging it and deleting it "without warrent because it was not copyrighted" and he gave a link to www.zeitgeistmovie.com and i went from there.

It's 2007, not 1984. George Orwell got his dates mixed up.

I wish it would cite more sources for part 2.

It comes off as a little too much like Loose Change.

He actually uses part of loose change in the film, I think I recognized the voice, and Loose Change is cited on the website solace gave.

Still, it's compelling. I'll copy it then if it's available freely online... There's a torrent up with a pretty good speed. (Any torrent search for zeitgeist should find it)

Just download the Google Video, 700 MB .avi

It's an interesting film, manages to put its point down much more strongly than other conspiracy claims and is ultimately more convincing.

How real it is remains to be seen and would require a lot of digging into the sources cited on the site. But I have a feeling that a lot of quotes in the film attributed (in particular in part 3) are quote mines. Quotes torn from context or horribly mutilated. One quote attributed to Woodrow Wilson in the film is :

I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is now controlled by its system of credit. We are no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.

Some quick searching however reveals that the quote is bullshit, it's multiple quotes stitched together and parts are outright made up.

The real quote is built up out of:
A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men who, even if their action be honest and intended for the public interest, are necessarily concentrated upon the great undertakings in which their own money is involved and who necessarily, by very reason of their own limitations, chill and check and destroy genuine economic freedom.

We have restricted credit, we have restricted opportunity, we have controlled development, and we have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world--no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.

Those are excerpts of Wilson's book The New Freedom: A Call For the Emancipation of the Generous Energies of a People.

I suspect that will go for many quotes found in that film.

well it was good until the 9/11 bullshit. I was about to say something like, "a documentary like this should be released in theaters" until he started spouting nonsense.

9/11 was not caused by the government. It was a real act perpetrated by real people, and those people were not in any way affiliated with the government. I know its shocking, I know its frightening, but its the truth. If you want to debate the facts, go ahead, but I will garuntee you the facts don't support some hair-brained conspiracy theory.

Religion likewise is not a willful conspiracy by "the man". Christianity and Judaism are undoubtedly the products of cross-cultural diffusion, but they were not created or intended to be used as a method of control. Politicians and priests may have hijacked the cultural phenomenon to their own ends, but it is only that: a cultural phenomenon.

i am going to show my friends this video and see what they think.

i personally have been swayed by all 3 parts. its either a very elaborate and convincing conspiracy theory, or actual truth.

i think the best thing is to spread the video as much as we can and get the public (internet public of course) to research the sources.

i am going to show my friends this video and see what they think.

i personally have been swayed by all 3 parts. its either a very elaborate and convincing conspiracy theory, or actual truth.

i think the best thing is to spread the video as much as we can and get the public (internet public of course) to research the sources.

No. The best thing you can do is look at his sources and confirm them with hard evidence, and not spread conspiracy theory as truth. The first part is a bit buggy and convoluted, but for the most part holds true, the second part is grasping at straws, and I don't even know where the third part is going.

EDIT: just gets weirder and weirder. This guy is a nutjob with no real evidence.

9/11 was not caused by the government. It was a real act perpetrated by real people, and those people were not in any way affiliated with the government. I know its shocking, I know its frightening, but its the truth. If you want to debate the facts, go ahead, but I will garuntee you the facts don't support some hair-brained conspiracy theory.

:O I think I would be scared shitless if a corrupted US government did it as opposed to Islamic extremists.

We can defend against extremists with our superior military defense. But if the US military were the terrorists, then I would be scared.

That's actually part of the problem with the "government accepted" ideas. There is little evidence for them as well, hence the proliferation of conspiracy theories. If they released the tapes that show the Pentagon on 9/11 and they are clearly undoctored, showing the plane crashing, well then that would satisfy people.

And yeah, I agree with the above, what "really happened" is a lot more acceptable, less terrifying than an inside job. I blame Giulianni for my desensitization to 9/11 shock and horror.

I've never read a proper response to this by conspiracy theorists:
Why the hell would they use anything other than the plane THEY HAD ALREADY HIJACKED to attack the Pentagon? Why go through an elaborate and risky scheme to use a military missile (as is claimed) when flying the actual plane into the Pentagon would've been much more believable?

Jesus ****ing christ.

Now he's saying the stock market crash of 1929 was a conspiracy. I suppose he's now going to say it was intended to make New Deal programs and the Federal Reserve, right?

...yep.

What a lunatic. The stock market crash was indeed due to bad market practices like marginal loans and a rush for credit and overspending, but that wasn't somehow engineered by some "man behind the curtain". What these conspiracy theorists need to realize is that some emergent properties of systems like stock market trends are just that: EMERGENT PROPERTIES OF A SYSTEM, they are not controlled, they have no intent.I suppose next he'll tell us bad weather is orchestrated by "the man" to keep us in line?

I love the editing job he did on the movie.

Lol, you call him a lunatic when you can no longer agree with him. you were fine up till part 2. I don't believe everything he says, I just agree to disagree, no point in personally assaulting someone.

Jesus ****ing christ.

Now he's saying the stock market crash of 1929 was a conspiracy. I suppose he's now going to say it was intended to make New Deal programs and the Federal Reserve, right?

...yep.

What a lunatic. The stock market crash was indeed due to bad market practices like marginal loans and a rush for credit and overspending, but that wasn't somehow engineered by some "man behind the curtain". What these conspiracy theorists need to realize is that some emergent properties of systems like stock market trends are just that: EMERGENT PROPERTIES OF A SYSTEM, they are not controlled, they have no intent.I suppose next he'll tell us bad weather is orchestrated by "the man" to keep us in line?

He was talking about the Panic of 1907, not 1929.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZekosYOmXc[/YOUTUBE]

So far I've only seen the first part on religion, and...

I've read this in books already. I'm sorry, but why does it always take a video for people to start doubting things? Go to your library, you'll find all the 'revealing' and 'conspiratory' theories you want.

He was talking about the Panic of 1907, not 1929.

No, he goes on to talk about 1929. 1907 was the same thing. The stock market goes through 20 year cycles of buyer overspeculation, crash and recovery. There have consistently been recessions in predictable patterns. Sure there are anomalies in the system like 1929, but I can tell you they aren't caused by some evil genius of finance sitting at a desk wringing his hands and thinking how he can upset the market.

Jesus ****ing christ.

...yep.

I'm sorry to tell you but the federal reserve was created in 1913. Your also wrong in that the great depression was caused solely by bad market practices.

heres my proof, (just read today)
"Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry. But thanks to you, we won't do it again." -Governor Ben S. Bernanke

http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/SPEECHES/2002/20021108/default.htm

haven't watched the video, so i'm not sure if it is in there.

It isn't. But it's a step in the right direction, having the Fed at least own up to something like that. We can't expect a full disclosure on the subject since whomever may have allegedly perpetrated the act will most likely be deceased.

"We won't do it again" will be put to the test in the next few years here.

I just watched this..
Incredibly interresting i must say - I bookmarked it to show to one of my friends.

I'm sorry to tell you but the federal reserve was created in 1913. Your also wrong in that the great depression was caused solely by bad market practices.

heres my proof, (just read today)

http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/SPEECHES/2002/20021108/default.htm

haven't watched the video, so i'm not sure if it is in there.

Out of context. They tightened rates to deal with overspeculation in the stock market, which is exactly what I was talking about. They may have overreacted, but they were reacting to market forces, not out of a deliberate scheme. The depression simply would not have occurred no matter what the feds did to the rates if people hadn't been buying on credit and overspeculating.

Everyone here must know that the FED is private organisation, and the list of the actual owners has never been fully disclosed, along with the profits the FED makes.

If anything these are the people who would be behind creating any kindof modern day myths to perpetuate their system. They effectively control the market and ultimately the banks (most who have a share in the FED) just get the FED to print more money out of thin air.

Fractional reserve banking is what's destroying America not terrorisim, and these 'bankers' are nothing more than the biggest mafia like criminals on the planet, making massive amounts of interest free money off of your taxes.

Out of context. They tightened rates to deal with overspeculation in the stock market, which is exactly what I was talking about. They may have overreacted, but they were reacting to market forces, not out of a deliberate scheme. The depression simply would not have occurred no matter what the feds did to the rates if people hadn't been buying on credit and overspeculating.

And when you have a central bank in place that makes money of nothing and increases the money supply, people can start buying on credit, since it's easier to get. Basically, inflation created by the Federal reserve creates economic bubbles that will eventually burst as it happened in 1929. Without the Federal reserve I doubt the Great Depression would have ever happened.

And when you have a central bank in place that makes money of nothing and increases the money supply, people can start buying on credit, since it's easier to get. Basically, inflation created by the Federal reserve creates economic bubbles that will eventually burst as it happened in 1929. Without the Federal reserve I doubt the Great Depression would have ever happened.

The Federal Reserve is one of the only failsafes we have against a depression...

If you want to go back to the wildcat banking days of the 1800's that's fine, we'll just be back on 20 year panic/boom cycles.

Watched this the other day and what a great film, here's a good read about The corrupt Federal Reserve Corporation.

Open your eyes people.

Edit*

As this film has no copyright, it is available as a DVD on a few torrent sites, so you can get it in good quality and put it on a DVD to share with your friends.

Each time this video is posted there's usually plenty of people debunking it, strange it hasn't happened on this site. Personally I'm too lazy to do it, but like most conspiracy videos it's just cherry-picked data manipulated to seem factual.

Whether Horus birth was immaculate or not can be debated, but it was not a virgin birth, for starters. Maybe it's semantics, but there's plenty of debatable "facts" in it yet the video purports them as truths, and we're all just sheep who are being fooled.

I'd suggest if you found it "compelling" you should be compelled to research the claims made for yourself. If you want to base your idea of reality off an internet video, be my guest, tho.

Oh and if you do decide to debunk it, make sure you're prepared for the personal attacks on your character, as well. You'll be labeled a neocon-agenda-pusher faster than you can say conspiracy theory (even if you despise Bush).

I was invited to get high and watch it. I didn't... D:

I've been told though that it basically says that God is the sun (which is funny, because it's probably true)

Oh and if you do decide to debunk it, make sure you're prepared for the personal attacks on your character, as well. You'll be labeled a neocon-agenda-pusher faster than you can say conspiracy theory (even if you despise Bush).

No reasonable person will attack your character for something like that.

I like the video, and I don't know any better to know whether it is completely factual. To be perfectly honest nobody does as far as divinity is concerned, but if someone were to just come along saying it was all falsified I would listen.

Back