Zelda and LOTR?

dlandis72

Reaction score
I just watched the trailer for the upcoming Zelda game once again and I just noticed that Nintendo seems to be ripping off Lord of the Rings big time! The scene with Link riding the horse and beating the crap out of enemies riding on some ugly creatures reminded me of the battle with the Warg riders in LOTR. Not only did the creatures look like Wargs, but they seemed to act like them too.
Another similarity that I noticed was the big fire boss. First of all, he looks suspiciously similar to the Balrog in Moria. Second, he's swinging a giant chain like the cave troll in Moria.
If only one of these similarities existed, I could dismiss it as a coincidence, but when such a short trailer is full of so many similarities, I get suspicious. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

*deleted* no resist the urge

All ill say is you can find similarities in anything and everything if you want.. why worry about it? Zelda GC will hopefully rule and thats all that matters to me.

I think I need to clarify that I am a HUGE Nintendo fan and a HUGE Zelda fan. I am looking forward to this next game very much, but I just noticed this today and I wanted to see if anybody else had the same thoughts.

Ideas get stolen all the time, and yet sometimes, it's just pure coincidence. Either way, I would very much like a great Zelda game again. I haven't truely enjoyed one since OOT, even then I find myself playing the Zelda on SNES more. (can't remember the name....)

Have you played Majora's Mask? Don’t let the time limit bit put you off (like it did me for a few years) its a great game, easily on par with OoT but takes a much more dark approach.

And I realy dont think you need to worry about Zelda GC turning into a LoTR clone. (least I hope you dont) :eek:

Lets make this clear. J.R.R. Tolkiens Books especially Lord of the Rings invented and inspired everything that humans know about Lore (Fantasy), and inspired or invented every thought in this entire genre.

It's almost like he invented the monster, with words and pictures that described everything in great detail

the only thing he didn't invent is the dragon itself

Well, I don't want to give him too much credit but he created most everything man!

I guess what I'm saying is that if it weren't for him, none of this cool RPG mystical shit would probably been done in the tons of games that use things such as magic swords, etc.

Thanks guys, I just needed some reassurance. I am anticipating the new Zelda game to be the best GC game yet, but the trailer just had me worried a little bit.

Well it's nice and all that you want the new zelda on the gc but in the meantime try Zelda:The minish cap, IMO one of the best games of this year.

VirusType2 said:
Lets make this clear. J.R.R. Tolkiens Books especially Lord of the Rings invented and inspired everything that humans know about Lore (Fantasy), and inspired or invented every thought in this entire genre.

It's almost like he invented the monster, with words and pictures that described everything in great detail

the only thing he didn't invent is the dragon itself

Well, I don't want to give him too much credit but he created most everything man!

I guess what I'm saying is that if it weren't for him, none of this cool RPG mystical shit would probably been done in the tons of games that use things such as magic swords, etc.

Exactly, chances are, if its a fantasy book/movie/game there will be shades of the LotR universe. Tolkien captured our collective imagination so well that when people went on to do things in the fantasy genre, they couldnt help but borrow from him. (Bear in mind much of the early PC game were based on Dungeons and Dragons which borrowed heavily from Tolkien.)

SearanoX said:
Tolkien may have come up with everything we consider as fantasy today (or most of it), but it's quite obvious that Nintendo is playing off of Lord of the Rings, from the art style right down to the enemy design. You'd have to be blind not to realise it.

Naw - they're just releasing the 'adult' looking Zelda that we were promised before they decided to use a cell shaded look for Wind Waker (you guys remember that vid from a few years back?)

They may be trying to cash in on some of LOTR's success with the trailor (which is fine imo), but aren't copying the art style (seeing as the old footage was released before the movies came out)

This latest Zelda looks just like an updated OoT to me - which is all good :)

I recently heard somebody mention that Zelda will use an overhead view when you are in dungeons. I feel like this might take away from the immersive experience of a vast, creepy dungeon. Is there any truth to this?

this new zelda will be in 3D and not in cellshaded textures?

I never played any zelda game but this games hav a huge impact

I hav a cousin who love it and he dont like repetive games cuz he always say that in zelda you do a lot of diferent things and in my opinion if a game can hav a impact like this is very impresive

Warbie said:
Naw - they're just releasing the 'adult' looking Zelda that we were promised before they decided to use a cell shaded look for Wind Waker (you guys remember that vid from a few years back?)

They may be trying to cash in on some of LOTR's success with the trailor (which is fine imo), but aren't copying the art style (seeing as the old footage was released before the movies came out)

This latest Zelda looks just like an updated OoT to me - which is all good :)

Personally, I think a little LOTR would be welcome in Zelda. Make it cold and dark!

But warbie you do realize they released a really dark and mature cartoon of the lord of the rings that fookin rocked, like around 1980. Extremely cool and scare the kids style evilness.

But anyway the art from tolkiens books and posters dates way back, from the '70's, possibly earlier than that. Tolkien invented a new freakin language and text even. Thats how detailed his story was. :eek:

the only pix i see that have any possibility of being on trial for copying LOTR is the look of the forest, but .. its a forest. :rolleyes:
The other is the boss dude. with the chain, but the LOTR guy had a long fire tail whip. I could care less! the chain is awesome! :flame:

here is pix!: :imu:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/gallery.asp?gallery=legendofzelda_gamecube

Horses, fire monsters, and horse combat are all not new to Zelda. I wouldn't say this one is copying any more or less than all the others.

I've always loved Zelda, I think I trust them enough not to do a rip off.

BTW 1) Anyone got a link for the new zelda vid?
2) In the wind waker, where the hell do you go after you go under water in that frozen time hyrule castle. There's some Wind island I can't get at, and I've been stuck there for ages... grrr...

<RJMC> said:
this new zelda will be in 3D and not in cellshaded textures?

I never played any zelda game but this games hav a huge impact

I hav a cousin who love it and he dont like repetive games cuz he always say that in zelda you do a lot of diferent things and in my opinion if a game can hav a impact like this is very impresive
http://www.gamershell.com/download_455.shtml

That will link to you to a 5mb trailer of the new Zelda game. As you can see, its not cell shaded. :D

I dont think they are trying to cash in Warbie/SearanoX, I think the artists just like the way it looks, and I couldn't agree more.

It's like for me. Seeing Pole Position (80's Arcade) growing up my every thought of a cool car was that pixelated car.

It's probably not far from the people working on Zelda, they probably loved LOTR and it can't help but come out in everything.

Just like me, I always have been obsessed by some badass dude with a black hooded robe and red eyes or whatever, ready to terrorize lesser mortals. lol you get the point

If you notice games change with our tastes... for example Need for speed underground 2.

-"souped up hondas.. what kind of vehicler is that son?" :farmer:

anyway the 3/4 view looks phenomenal, this is how Zelda should look.

Normaly I don't like 3rd person view games unless they are called Max Payne, never got into the other 3D zelda games at all.

I miss the old style 2D graphics zeldas, all that camera stuff I guess I'm just old school.

NEWAY The new Zelda has a ton of promise. It's nintendo's masterpiece that is a long time in the making, from Zelda 1 till now. this is the result!

The Mullinator said:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_455.shtml

That will link to you to a 5mb trailer of the new Zelda game. As you can see, its not cell shaded. :D

Bah, that link is to the "old" cell shaded Zelda.

And the real fotage of the kid in the dark robe is STRAIGHT out of the recent Lord of the Rings part where the Wring Wraiths come.. but to me thats cool, cuz that was the best part.

But thats not game pics, thats an advertisment.

Anyone have link to a movie of the new Zelda in progress ?

burner,

After you get the master sword and return to the surface, you're supposed to head back to the Forsaken Fortress to open up a can of whoopass on that huge bird. If you've already done that, then what you need to do is the get the fire and ice arrows from the queen of fairies.

She's in the island that you can't get into. The grid coordinates for the island are 2,6 or 3,6 somewhere around there. You have to use the ballad of gales to transport yourself in there. When you do, she will give you the fire and ice arrows. Next, head over to the island thats pure ice (I can't remember exactly where its at). Shoot a fire arrow at it and you will be able to get on. Go inside, solve some puzzles and get the iron boots. Then go to the island with the stone head blowing the wind, put on the boots, walk up to it and smash it with the hammer so you can go inside.

I hope I made some sense just now.

watch it at gametrailers.com. They use different music, more like the MIDI stuff in old Zeldas, and the effect of the trailer is much different. The music really makes the new trailer. I really really hope they use that sweet music in the game. It got my blood pumping without being too dark and eerie.

dlandis72 said:
watch it at gametrailers.com. They use different music, more like the MIDI stuff in old Zeldas, and the effect of the trailer is much different. The music really makes the new trailer. I really really hope they use that sweet music in the game. It got my blood pumping without being too dark and eerie.
No other game has got me this excited about an upcoming video game in 18 years. This game looks to be a perfect game in the making.

What a masterpiece. I just love the effect when you run up and hit the guys with a slice-slice combo. :thumbs:

Im going to buy a game cube next week and play RE4 untill it comes out

VirusType2 said:
Im going to buy a game cube next week and play RE4 untill it comes out

Good plan Batman. Res 4 is worth the price alone :) (you may aswell check out the Metroid Prime games while you're at. Both are superb) Infact there's quite a few - if you ever want any suggestions give me a shout :)

I think it's borrowing heavily from OoT too!!

Same protagonist and everything!

SearanoX said:
Tolkien may have come up with everything we consider as fantasy today (or most of it), but it's quite obvious that Nintendo is playing off of Lord of the Rings, from the art style right down to the enemy design. You'd have to be blind not to realise it.
Yes, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

Back