Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto IV

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
Good stuff. I expected him to mention the woeful controls, but otherwise we are in perfect agreement :)

Will watch it when I return to my abode. I can imagine it contains humour of all sorts, as is custom.

Once again I feel almost exactly the same way about it. I'm still only something like 15% though the game so I think I'm still waiting for the part where the story actually gets to something resembling interesting...

The thing that's really driving me mad is plain old simple TURNING, though. Is it just me or is there no actual way to powerslide/drift around corners?! I think I've tried all the combinations (that's not a word? WTF Firefox) of regular brake/hand brake/gas and the best I can do is manage to turn really sharp, not spin out, but come to almost a DEAD STOP. Hand brake by itself only spins you out... regular brake by itself barely lets you turn... it's maddening!

I didn't even feel the beginnings of a smile.....I think....I think Zero Punctuation has gotten...old. :|

Ohhh boy, this should be interesting.

EDIT: It was! I'm a goddamn nostradamus!

"Systematically alienating every kind of fanboy" - hehe.

I liked the review. The lamposts vs trees gag was painfully accurate :p

:LOL: @ Frohman.

A bit nit-picky to be honest, but still damn good.

"Systematically alienating every kind of fanboy" - hehe.

I liked the review. The lamposts vs trees gag was painfully accurate :p
Yeah, I always wondered about that. Even if it is realistic, it is not fun - and yet every game since Driver seems to prejudice trees, which are indestructable, over lamp-posts, which you can go through like butter. It's almost as if the game designers have some kind of environazi green agenda.

Loved the reference to British Rail. Pretty good review from Yahtzee.

I laughed, anyway.

Yeah, I always wondered about that. Even if it is realistic, it is not fun - and yet every game since Driver seems to prejudice trees, which are indestructable, over lamp-posts, which you can go through like butter. It's almost as if the game designers have some kind of environazi green agenda.

Modern lamp-posts are designed to minimize damage to cars (and thus the people in the cars) in the event of a collision. Trees are not. Yet.

I agree with every point and I really hope that R* change the police system so it's a little less forgiving.

When I got my first car, I did once knock over a thick steel post going about 25 in the ice.

There were just 4 bolts holding it down. My car has lots of bolts however.

wetmyselfdp2.jpg

This is the point I nearly wet myself. Literally. My udder let out a little bit of wee.

Just look at Niko's face.

Funny, but he forgets that a 1 star wanted level in previous GTA games meant that the police went looking for you on foot for about 30 seconds and then simply gave up. A 1 star wanted level in GTA4 is less trivial to shake and I'm more than glad that 2 stars and up don't require shit like Pay 'N' Sprays or powerups to get rid off but actually take planning and good driving.

Yeah, I also prefer the new wanted levels. It makes it possible to escape being wanted, whereas in previous games you were pretty much screwed if you got a 6star wanted level.

With the wanted level and Pay-n-Spray stuff, anyone try going into a Pay-n-Spray with a cop right behind you?

It says "The Police saw you enter"
The old GTA'S, you could have freakin tanks on your arse and could still get a quick respray to lose them.

Modern lamp-posts are designed to minimize damage to cars (and thus the people in the cars) in the event of a collision. Trees are not. Yet.

Not down here they aren't, well the power lines anyway. We still like to kill people;

A Stobie pole is a power line pole made of two steel joists held apart by a slab of concrete in the middle.

Hit one and you're ****ed.

^ Lampposts aren't power poles. It'd be slightly troubling if power poles came down at the slightest nudge, don't you think? :p

He'll tear the relationship/dating system a new one, mark my words.
Called it!

The thing that's really driving me mad is plain old simple TURNING, though. Is it just me or is there no actual way to powerslide/drift around corners?! I think I've tried all the combinations (that's not a word? WTF Firefox) of regular brake/hand brake/gas and the best I can do is manage to turn really sharp, not spin out, but come to almost a DEAD STOP. Hand brake by itself only spins you out... regular brake by itself barely lets you turn... it's maddening!
You'll get used to it. You just have to accustom yourself to the fact that the cars are heavier and harder to handle around corners this time around. The best way to slide through a corner is to brake beforehand and then just touch the handbrake (never hold it down) as you pull into it to put you sideways, then accelerate again once you've stopped sliding. Once you get it down the driving is far more satisfying than any of the other GTAs, but it can be pretty frustrating to get used to.

I hate how if your going 150 MPH in a giant truck and you hit a tiny tree you get stopped. Also, of all people I thought he would notice how the cops react way to fast.

I hate how if your going 150 MPH in a giant truck and you hit a tiny tree you get stopped. Also, of all people I thought he would notice how the cops react way to fast.
Try doing that in real life and surviving. Trees don't ****ing move for nobody, just ask my dad (who is alive and well, but managed to total our old car on a pretty small tree... the tree lost a bit of bark and that's it).

Edit - Hmm... must have glossed over the "giant truck" bit. Can't comment on that. >_>

I didn't really care for the review. Wasn't funny or informative enough to be substantial ...

I disagree with his points about all the tutorials. Yeah, there is a lot of new things to do but it's not like any of them take time to learn. You basically get presented with these new things, told what to do then thats it, you've learnt it and you then use it throughout the game. If anything, if he wanted to go down on something that really needed some time to learn should probably of been driving or something. I'm use to the driving now - I don't need to even half think about how to round a corner unlike how I use to come first week of release - but it was still quite a curveball at first that I don't recall was explained all that well or at all.

I disagree with his points about all the tutorials. Yeah, there is a lot of new things to do but it's not like any of them take time to learn. You basically get presented with these new things, told what to do then thats it, you've learnt it and you then use it throughout the game. If anything, if he wanted to go down on something that really needed some time to learn should probably of been driving or something. I'm use to the driving now - I don't need to even half think about how to round a corner unlike how I use to come first week of release - but it was still quite a curveball at first that I don't recall was explained all that well or at all.

Actually, the driving tutorial was the only necessary tutorial (because of handling differences b/w all other GTA's) The gunfights are the same, and a whole mission on how to beat down 2 guys was completely unneeded (unless you found the hidden Molotivs before the mission, in that case, the hand-to-hand tutorial is hell of a lot of fun)

I think the combat tutorial, or guideline, was needed because it was a new feature to GTA. Not new in the real sense of things as GOW does it very similar, and some other games I imagine, but to those that have never played them and went straight into it through GTA I can see some people spending their first few minutes in combat clumsily wandering around soaking up bullets. Hell, I still do sometimes because it can be a little clunky.

As always great but lets get one thing straight Yahtzee. PS3 WAYYYY GREATER THEN 360..

^ Lampposts aren't power poles. It'd be slightly troubling if power poles came down at the slightest nudge, don't you think? :p

Yet they don the road side much like street lights do. There have been many cases of people running into stobie poles. Street lights are hollow metal tubes but will mess you up just the same.

As always great but lets get one thing straight Yahtzee. PS3 WAYYYY GREATER THEN 360..

great but lets get one thing straight Yahtzee. PS3 FAAAAAAAAAAAANBOOOOOOOOOY..

lets get one thing straight Yahtzee. PS3 FAAAAAAAAAAAANBOOOOOOOOOY..

PS3 FAAAAAAAAAAAANBOOOOOOOOOY..

FAAAAAAAAAAAANBOOOOOOOOOY..

BOOOOOOOOOY..

PS3 is the Apple Mac of console gaming, you only buy it to be different, but fail. :LOL:

Well, at least we know that grand Theft Biggleswade will be a hit.

Back