Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
For some reason I laughed the hardest during the tree scene.

He's funny again, maybe went through a flux of crap games to make fun of.

I tried to play this at a store. I couldn't figure out how to ****ing ollie, its the ****ing stick? FFS.

This reminds me of my playthroughs of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3, usually degenerating into hilarious button mashing to perform tricks.

I think that the next Tony Hawk should, instead of trying to copy Skate, try to be the complete opposite of it. Give it a fun, non serious career, keep the button controls, include a fully fleshed out "classic" mode with tons of levels/goals, add an online highscore leader board and try to embrace the game's unrealisticness.

I'd much rather have a game like that than a game like Skate.

Oh, and get rid of the ass camera angle.

Hahaha---2, because there was another one. Great review. Sums it up. Nice idea for controls but I never really got the hang of it nor had the patience to do so. Real skating is just more fun.

Skate 2 is impossibly ****ing hard. There are SO MANY different buttons and combos to have to remember. And then they say you have to do a certain trick or series of tricks, and you have to do it SO VERY ****ING EXACTLY if you're an inch off it doesn't count.

Why the **** can't I get unskipable to play! Someone said to refresh it, I did, it worked and now it's not working.

I think that the next Tony Hawk should, instead of trying to copy Skate, try to be the complete opposite of it. Give it a fun, non serious career, keep the button controls, include a fully fleshed out "classic" mode with tons of levels/goals, add an online highscore leader board and try to embrace the game's unrealisticness.

Rofl.

Way to just describe every Tony Hawk in existence! :thumbs:

You're thinking of Tony Hawk's Underground.

FYI: the Tony Hawk franchise has been canned.

i don't really care for skateboarding but i still really enjoy Skate(2)

entertaining nontheless

That's what Tony Hawk has be doing more and more with each installment, and that's exactly why the series has been run out of town by Skate.

The camera angle in Skate and Skate 2 is supposed to mimic a skateboarding video. The person filming a skate video is usually also on a skateboard and films from a low angle with a fisheye lens. So it's not just some stupid angle they picked for no reason. It makes the board the focus and not the skater.

Plus it looks a lot better. When you watch replays in Skate it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did when you actually did it.

i don't really care for skateboarding but i still really enjoy Skate(2)
Thankyou!

I enjoyed the review, but honestly I don't get the criticism for this game. It's nothing to do with being overly difficult or unintuitive, or being for a different "demographic" (unless we're talking about the snooty english australian game journalist who don't play games enough before they review them demographic). It's just a game with a learning curve, that's it. Play it for more than a day and you'll begin to get the hang of it, after that it's a blast. The trick system is tough to get your head around at first, but spend some time with it and you'll be popping ollies and hitting grinds like a pro, and in a way that is so much more satisfying than Tony Hawk ever was (not to start a realism vs. fun debate). Also, for f*ck's sake, you can change the camera angle in the options to a "high" view that mimics the Tony Hawk games, so that's a moot complaint.

Honestly, people (including Yahtzee!) drone on and on about games being spoon-fed, homogenised dreck, and yet they still manage to complain when something actually presents a challenge and a different way of playing just because it isn't 100% pick-up-and-play. The entire charm of the game is that you have to learn it - it's frustrating at first, but once you get over the initial hurdle of difficulty it becomes so much more fun because you learned it. I think there should be room for these kind of games as well, and I think it's really sad that people find it so easy to rail on just because they suck at it.

Oh, but all that said, I do agree with him on the challenges. Some of them are ****ing ridiculous and the single player never should have been handled that way. But the game's always going to be the most fun when you're just screwing around and doing your own thing anyway, so it's not too big of a deal.

Back