14mins of Crysis gameplay footage

Mutley said:
Graphics and physics are just incredible!

AI looks abit wank though.

They use godmode and all kind of cheats to demonstrate the game. When you play it in normal mode the ai will be top of the line trust me..

Downloading the video now..

Looks very good. Should be tons of fun once they get it polished. This game is one of the reasons why I'm saving up for a Windows Vista system. :thumbs:

Thanks for posting the video!

Samon said:
I can't see why people are excited.

Let me ask you, where you excited with HL2 Ep 1?

At any rate this video is great. It's good to see developers pushing ahead new technology and new games rather than...releasing episodes and remakes of older games.Anyone notice the motion blur? It looks beautiful. Really ads to the game and makes it more of a film rather than a game. I'll be getting this after a hefty upgrade I think.

Good graphics, average gameplay looks like. Just like FarCry.

Physics do look awsome, and what's weird, atleast when they dynamically destroyed that building at around 8 minutes in, I saw NO clipping, I mean, I've heard that ELIMINATING clipping is hard or maybe impossible but I saw no clipping at all there and that looked awsome imo.:p
If Crysis has physics that don't clip in any way that'll be teh penis.

Oh and the ragdoll looks kinda meh, he shot a guy standing down near a wall aiming for him, in the head.. The guy sits down as if he was alive only with his head down.:p

Does physics in Crysis use Ageia PhysX or is it CPU-based? Or maybe HavokFX?

Crytek has always done the game physics by themselves. Far Cry had their own physics code and so does Crysis. So, no licensed physics engines used :thumbs:

Here's the bit about PhysX support:

Obviously, there is a lot of physics going on in the game - calculating all that foliage isn't easy - and we asked Crytek how they were handling it all. They confirmed that there are no plans to integrate Ageia PhysX support, and that all the physics routines were written by themselves. Most of the processing is done on the processor - making use of multiple cores where they're available - and some processing is even offloaded to the GPU where it can, although to quote the Crytek rep, "We're going to be keeping the GPU pretty busy most of the time just with graphics, though."

Quote from: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/11/crysis_playtest

Gameplay looks pretty much identical to Far Cry but with more polish. The A.I no longer seems omnipotent. But in places it also seems a bit dodgy like the Far Cry A.I was. Awesome graphics though.

Hopefully it'll have more variety than Far Cry though.

wow that looks so amazing. graphics, physics, gameplay...everything looks marvelous.

Gorgon said:
wow, :thumbs: :thumbs: WOW

bring on DX10

hahaha ROFL @ the director of crysis, the part where he enters the vehicle and the enemy is above the vehicle, he says "oh what the hell is this, ah its a bug" LOL :LOL:

lol that was funny!

Gargantou said:
Physics do look awsome, and what's weird, atleast when they dynamically destroyed that building at around 8 minutes in, I saw NO clipping, I mean, I've heard that ELIMINATING clipping is hard or maybe impossible but I saw no clipping at all there and that looked awsome imo.:p
If Crysis has physics that don't clip in any way that'll be teh penis.

Oh and the ragdoll looks kinda meh, he shot a guy standing down near a wall aiming for him, in the head.. The guy sits down as if he was alive only with his head down.:p

What's clipping?

Awesome movie but the game seems to be kinda buggy still, hope they'll fix all major bugs before release. I don't really like that you can punch down houses with your fists, that sucked :(

Garfield_ said:
What's clipping?

Awesome movie but the game seems to be kinda buggy still, hope they'll fix all major bugs before release. I don't really like that you can punch down houses with your fists, that sucked :(
I dunno if clipping is the right term, but it's like in say CSS where the ragdolls can sometime have parts of'em that go through eachother due to the physics system either not calculating it at all or failing to be that detailed, I mean, in some items you have certainly seen some items go 'through' eachother, perhaps in Hitman Blood Money when you walk through curtains etc and you see some parts off your head sticking out because it doesn't 'calculate' the curtain physics per-polygon or w/e, this is clipping, i.e. two items clip through eachother..
Crysis has claimed to have eliminated clipping alltogether.

Gargantou said:
I dunno if clipping is the right term, but it's like in say CSS where the ragdolls can sometime have parts of'em that go through eachother due to the physics system either not calculating it at all or failing to be that detailed, I mean, in some items you have certainly seen some items go 'through' eachother, perhaps in Hitman Blood Money when you walk through curtains etc and you see some parts off your head sticking out because it doesn't 'calculate' the curtain physics per-polygon or w/e, this is clipping, i.e. two items clip through eachother..
Crysis has claimed to have eliminated clipping alltogether.

Ohh as I thought then, anyway I hope you can have some C4 explosives and blow even huge trees down ;D Or use the destructive environment to create death-traps :D

SlamDunk said:
Crytek has always done the game physics by themselves. Far Cry had their own physics code and so does Crysis. So, no licensed physics engines used :thumbs:

Here's the bit about PhysX support:
Obviously, there is a lot of physics going on in the game - calculating all that foliage isn't easy - and we asked Crytek how they were handling it all. They confirmed that there are no plans to integrate Ageia PhysX support, and that all the physics routines were written by themselves. Most of the processing is done on the processor - making use of multiple cores where they're available - and some processing is even offloaded to the GPU where it can, although to quote the Crytek rep, "We're going to be keeping the GPU pretty busy most of the time just with graphics, though."

Quote from: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/11/crysis_playtest

Awesome , l33t physics programming for ftw.

Crisis King said:
Let me ask you, where you excited with HL2 Ep 1?

Certainly was. It's probably light years ahead of Crysis in terms of gameplay and story, and for me, that's all that matters.

0mar said:
Good graphics, average gameplay looks like. Just like FarCry.

That's exactly how I feel. The graphics are amazing, make no mistake. But the gameplay just looks...highly meh.

This nothing to be that much exited about, it's was amazing to see the techdemo's and some nice short vids, but what is so exiting about watching a 14 minut long gameplay vid of the same gameplay you have allready seen and played in countless other games, the Wowwww factor is quickly fading for crysis.

HL2 and many other games are timeless because of their uniqe gameplay, story and chars. But farcry, and most likely crysis are overshadowed quickly, hell crysis will probably be overshadowed before it even hit's the stores, since by then a new techdemo will come out and crysis will hardly have to offer anything really interesting.

Gray Fox said:
This nothing to be that much exited about, it's was amazing to see the techdemo's and some nice short vids, but what is so exiting about watching a 14 minut long gameplay vid of the same gameplay you have allready seen and played in countless other games, the Wowwww factor is quickly fading for crysis.

HL2 and many other games are timeless because of their uniqe gameplay, story and chars. But farcry, and most likely crysis are overshadowed quickly, hell crysis will probably be overshadowed before it even hit's the stores, sinceb y then a new techdemo will come out and crysis will hardly have to offer anything really interesting.

Fox, for the first time, I completely agree with you.

I won't believe any of that until I've actually played the game. If you can't see the variety of possible situations in such an immersive looking environment with the unique style of gameplay they are trying to introduce, then I'd perhaps understand a comment like that.

You can destroy jungles and play with leaves, and change your weapon attachments, play stealth.. or go gong ho. It's wonderful stuff, now I don't have a problem with your opinions, what I would say is there is no need to be so derogatory when you havn't even played it yet.

I love everyting half life and yes perhaps im even a fanboy of it.. but this is another generation of game bringing something different to the table so just try and enjoy it rather than blindside something that clearly looks amazing and fun to play.

clarky003 said:
I won't believe any of that until I've actually played the game. If you can't see the variety of possible situations in such an immersive looking environment with the unique style of gameplay they are trying to introduce, then I'd perhaps understand a comment like that.

You can destroy jungles and play with leaves, and change your weapon attachments, play stealth.. or go gong ho. It's wonderful stuff, now I don't have a problem with your opinions, what I would say is there is no need to be so derogatory when you havn't even played it yet.

I love everyting half life and yes perhaps im even a fanboy of it.. but this is another generation of game bringing something different to the table so just try and enjoy it rather than blindside something that clearly looks amazing and fun to play.

For the very first time i completley agree with you clarky003. We don't know very much about Crysis yet, for me it looks like a huge sandbox to play around in rather than any story focused game and that is exactly what I want
Crysis to be ;D

I feel a strange sense in my stomach of oncoming doom. Something just doesn't feel quite right, the universe seem misaligned, out of place.

Amazingly impressive graphics. I have a feeling this will be good. I surely wouldn't expect such a detailed story and characters as in HL2, but there are few good open-ended FPS games out there. If Crysis is open-ended, and if you can use the physics for various purposes, that's already good gameplay.

gameplay looks a bit generic and boring tbh. But the engine looks amazing! I can't wait for more games to look like this, with the awesome dx10 effects!

And the guy is a terrible narrator. He really doesn't know how to sell his own game. "This vehicle is really nice. You can go forward back...uh...anything you want...um...now I make him really strong! look he can punch tree! you can do anything you want....even be real strong! Look I can throw grenade!...anything you want...." was basically the gist of the entire presentation.

He kept saying you could "do anythign you want" yet everything he listed was generic stuff that has been around for gaming generations, except for the whole destructable tree thing of course. Throwing grenades and being "real strong" isn't my idea of "doing anything you want" It seems like the exact same game as far cry except with very good, EXTREMELY AWESOME graphics...and I give them a plus for their engine, at least.

10p says it's polished turd.

*sneaks away*

(it does look very pretty :) )

clarky003 said:
I
but this is another generation of game bringing something different to the table
Not really. So far it just looks like Far Cry with much better graphics, more physics and weapon attachments.

Without the physics, the gameplay looks like it would just be an action version of Operation Flashpoint. Which is pretty much what Far Cry was to begin with.

Trees look brilliant. The term is interpenetration. lol at the enemy that put his head through the fence and the glitchy tire.

After the Episode Two trailer, I'm not too excited (that's not to say I wn't buy the game).

clarky003 said:

Cant agree anymore.

Well, I can absolutely see where Samon is coming from. It looks gorgeous, yes, but he wasn't a fan of Far Cry, and this is clearly going to be in that same vein. So if you don't like the gameplay, all you're stuck with is gorgeous graphics. Very nice, but only for a few years.

Of course, I adore Far Cry, so I couldn't be happier :)

I love how bullets don't affect 2 inch wooden walls, but can bring down a 10 inch tree with 2 hits.

dear god, shadows through leaves, cutting down trees dynamically, physically affected foliage. This game better not have hideous dialogue like farcry cause that'd be the only thing that could ruin this.

That narrator needed to be completely silent. They should have left the game volume all the way up, and told him to be silent. The sound effects are incredible.

I like the ice effects.

This looks so ****ing amaZing, but I don't like the "super strength punching" bullshit. That was so ****in gay. Yes, I'm going to walk through AK-47 gunfire, and start jabbing his jaw. Now I'm going to punch down your house. HAHAHAH you have to be ****ing kidding me! NO THANKS.

I wish people could be able to vote away that super strenght punching thing, it puts the whole game to a lower level :(

The narrator had an accent heavy enough to crush diamonds but i'm glad he narrated, otherwise i'd only be guessing at what was going on

It seems kinda funny to me that he mentions how real the game is, but then he says "choose strength mode" and now you can go and punch a house down with
your fists. Hm. I know what he means, but still...

If I was wearing a nano muscle suit that boosted my strength, I'd probably want to punch stuff whenever I could.

Back