18 year old kills 5 & himself on day of graduation

/me reads over thread.

My god, someone throw this into the pit (Aka. Polatics forum)

in theory its a good idea - it prevents dictators taking over or a corrupt state. but the way i see it all states are corrupt. even the western democracies.

its all coming down to low politics: special interest group politics, lobbying, the logic of collective action and agency capture.

Cons Himself said:
in theory its a good idea - it prevents dictators taking over or a corrupt state. but the way i see it all states are corrupt. even the western democracies.

its all coming down to low politics: special interest group politics, lobbying, the logic of collective action and agency capture.

correct. every state, wheter it be the US or China or UK or Wonderland, is corrupt.

Cons Himself said:
there are however, also degrees of corruption...

and also the level of awareness of corruption the citizens have....

North Koreans for example....

hehe this is like one of those story threads now :p

Goddamn why won't this thread die...
You guys are treading the same ground over and over, arguments over guns, America, crime have all been done, if there was a good solution that everyone liked, it'd have been spotted by now.

Oops, Sorry, I forgot to come here and get flamed :/

Basically, because you guys made a fuss about how we were wrong when we said this happens more in USA than anywhere else, and made oh so mature jokes about how we have lots of fingers (have I missed something with this 'joke'?), but as soon as 'Cons Himself' presents a decent set of points, you seem to leave rather quickly

isis said:

Basically, because you guys made a fuss about how we were wrong when we said this happens more in USA than anywhere else, and made oh so mature jokes about how we have lots of fingers (have I missed something with this 'joke'?), but as soon as 'Cons Himself' presents a decent set of points, you seem to leave rather quickly
I made my point, but I guess I have to make it again.

Basically-- you are a dirty racist. Anyone who keeps USA bashing is just a friggin' racist pig. It is sickening. Do you know how terrible it is to say something like "You're stupid because you're black."? Well, saying "Only in America!" is on the same level. "Only Americans kill each other with guns." "Only Americans go postal and kill people." "Americans are all fat." "Americans all like killing people." It's all the same bullshit. I'm American. I don't like to kill people, I'm underweight, I'm pretty smart, and I'm not going to go postal.

It is just bigotry. I would never say "All British people are ugly" or "All Germans are crazy" or any of that bullshit. No one here really would. Yet, its okay to make fun of the US, and generalize about American citizens. That doesn't seem wrong to you?

We may have some problems with gun control, but everywhere really does. And it doesn't only happen in America. There are stupid people everywhere. There are fat people everywhere. There are crazy, murderous people everywhere. People who kill a bunch of classmates and friends, IT DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN HERE! It's more reported on here. Because we are much bigger, because the case was from an AMERICAN MEDIA SOURCE. It has nothing to do with the goddamn country you live in. I don't care what country you're from-- you're a racist. Go away.

Erestheux said:

Basically-- you are a dirty racist. Anyone who keeps USA bashing is just a friggin' racist pig. It is sickening. Do you know how terrible it is to say something like "You're stupid because you're black."? Well, saying "Only in America!" is on the same level. "Only Americans kill each other with guns." "Only Americans go postal and kill people." "Americans are all fat." "Americans all like killing people." It's all the same bullshit. I'm American. I don't like to kill people, I'm underweight, I'm pretty smart, and I'm not going to go postal.

It is just bigotry. I would never say "All British people are ugly" or "All Germans are crazy" or any of that bullshit. No one here really would. Yet, its okay to make fun of the US, and generalize about American citizens. That doesn't seem wrong to you?

We may have some problems with gun control, but everywhere really does. And it doesn't only happen in America. There are stupid people everywhere. There are fat people everywhere. There are crazy, murderous people everywhere. People who kill a bunch of classmates and friends, IT DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN HERE! It's more reported on here. Because we are much bigger, because the case was from an AMERICAN MEDIA SOURCE. It has nothing to do with the goddamn country you live in. I don't care what country you're from-- you're a racist. Go away.

First of all, take a deep breath - there you go. Feel better?
Now, you can't accuse someone of being a racist because they put forward the view that America has a cultural gun problem. That's not racism. Criticising a country's cultural problems is not racism. In the UK we have a cultural class system problem - I would never EVER call someone a racist for criticising that.

Now that we've established i'm not a racist - lets look at your point. You believe that it doesnt happen more in America because of a cultural gun problem, but because America is bigger and things in America are reported more. Well - lets look at the example I gave before. Canada is a country per capita, just as armed as the USA. Canada is also a country which has a lot lower prevalence of gun crime than the USA. Now why could that be? Perhaps, as I stated before, it may have something to do with the cultural attitude to guns in America. Or perhaps the social problems in America. What does NOT have an effect, and what has been PROVED not to have an effect is the size of the American population, or America's media system. Other Western countries without gun control have a free and open media, just as much as the US has - are you saying that they dont report it? That the stories are suppressed? That would be a very wrong-headed viewpoint to take.

Just grow up and face two facts:
1. People are not racist because they legitimately criticise America's cultural gun problem.
2. America HAS a cultural gun problem.

Oh and calm down - its only teh internets!!11

Only in America.

Right. So none of this happens in 3rd world countries? What about Somalia? Nope. China? Nope. Russia? Nope. (I'm not trying to be racist or anything, sorry if I offended anyone who lives in these countries.)

SimonomiS said:
Goddamn why won't this thread die...
You guys are treading the same ground over and over, arguments over guns, America, crime have all been done, if there was a good solution that everyone liked, it'd have been spotted by now.

Because arguing politics is nothing more than an ego trip. Ever notice how political debates never solve shit? It's always just some stupid effort for someone to prove they know, at least in their minds, more than someone else. It's funny how all these people that always seem to think they know all the causes, answers and solutions have nothing better to do with their vast intellectual knowledge then to sit around on web forums flaming each other, trying to prove who's world view is more correct.

If you say this happens everywhere, you are either just dumb or being deliberately naive. I can count the cases that have happened outside of the 'US of A' on one hand.

Umm, yeah, but you quote slipknot in your sig. Therefore you should not be allowed an opinion on ANYTHING.

Basically, because you guys made a fuss about how we were wrong when we said this happens more in USA than anywhere else, and made oh so mature jokes about how we have lots of fingers (have I missed something with this 'joke'?), but as soon as 'Cons Himself' presents a decent set of points, you seem to leave rather quickly.

Only things isis has said in this thread. I do not call either of those posts a legitimate criticism of America's cultural gun problem, but I do not call it racist either.

I just find him moronic.

craig said:
More shit like this happens in America than anywhere else in the developed world.. that much is pretty evident.

Yeah, Terrorists spring to mind ;)

Maybe it has something to do with his name? :O

You know.. Moody.. :|

Erestheux said:

Here, take one of these.

my dad always says (hes an american btw)
people will always be jealus off NR.1 and always the whole world will have an eye on NR.1/end quote

I know Ive sometimes said things like "only in the USA" but the whole world keeps starring at them so thats why it seems all the bad things happen in the USA....

shit people get shot everyday in NK and babys are taken away because they are not allowed to have them....

when you say USA teh S0xurZ then stop using IBM tech and stop wearing Nike shoes

Lemonking said:
my dad always says (hes an american btw)
people will always be jealus off NR.1 and always the whole world will have an eye on NR.1/end quote

I know Ive sometimes said things like "only in the USA" but the whole world keeps starring at them so thats why it seems all the bad things happen in the USA....

shit people get shot everyday in NK and babys are taken away because they are not allowed to have them....

when you say USA teh S0xurZ then stop using IBM tech and stop wearing Nike shoes

Oh wow, yet another perl of wisdom.

Of course, when someone shoots themselves, everyone does say "Typical America, where everyone is a killer." Look at Columbia, or Mexico, or the Phillipines.

for hte people who say these only, or the majority of these cases happen in america, how many of these actual cases aren't 'world wide news' .. so i don't think anyone has a clue, now shh.

'suicide bombers .. only in israel' .. weeeeee i'm ignorant :)

lol @ the ppl blaming games.

I have to agree with Erestheux. You guys get pissed when we start making generalizations, yet here both of you go.

America does not have a cultural gun PROBLEM. What we have is people who are irresponsible and insane. If the parents had kept his .22 rifle locked up, he wouldn't have been able to pull off his little masacre. Guns should not be out of their safe unless:
A) Emergency <i.e break-in/robbery>
B)Going to the target range
C)End of the World

Maybe he had keys, but I bet not.

Guns are indeed ingrained into the American psyche. There is nothing we can do now, seeing as it has been this way for about 200 years. Realistically a gun ban would not do anything to solve the problem, in fact it may only make it worse. Guns will always be here in the good 'ole U.S. of A, so don't attempt to come back with the usual gun ban crap.

What we need to do is teach children about guns, teach them how to be safe, and how to eject the clip and rounds from the magazine. Teach them what a gun can do. Teach them how to be safe at a firing range. After such <gasp> indoctrination the number of gun deaths would probably go down seeing as most involve accidents with children. Yes, nutcases would still be able to do what they did, but as always if you truley want to kill someone, you can find a way.

Gun safety courses used to be in American schools. When they were taken out (not always due to politics but a lot of times just class juggling/programs dropped) gun accidents have steadily risen among the young.

Wow, nice to see the moderators freely edit my posts to suit there needs. How very Stalin-esque.

Your racist Erestheux. Your racist towards racists.

Quite frankly, all these kinds of attrocities happen because america has fundamental cultural problems.

As for you lemon king, america provides alot of resources and goods to the world. Becuase of this, the world is dependent on america to provide them with what they need. People need america computers to become computer literate and operate in their society, people need mcdonalds and nike because if they don't buy these products then they will be deemed weird in their society. People don't buy american brands as a choice, they buy it because america has done such a great job of propagating culture in foreign nations that if they don't buy american shit they will be deemed weird by the people around them. Besides, people are to dumb to even think they have a choice, when you grow up with mcdonalds around you everywhere, what choice really do you have? It's cultural to go eat at maccers. its cultural to have polo ralph shirts and nike shoes. These are things you have to buy in order to be succesful in your society.
And sometimes they have no choice at all, like the american company monsanto owning all the seed producing industries in india. Farmers need to buy seed from american owned companies to grow crop and feed their families, they dont have a choice. And people south america need coke because they're water is too dirty to drink and coke is the cheapest source of water that they can attain.

Yeh...so go suck on some lemons.

>>FrEnZy<< said:

Quite frankly, all these kinds of attrocities happen because america has fundamental cultural problems.

As for you lemon king, america provides alot of resources and goods to the world. Becuase of this, the world is dependent on america to provide them with what they ne......

This is as far as I got before I got bored and stopped reading. Plus I think you pretty much summed it up in the sentance about America.

Learn to break up big blocks of text!

>>FrEnZy<< said:

As for you lemon king, america provides alot of resources and goods to the world. Becuase of this, the world is dependent on america to provide them with what they need. People need america computers to become computer literate and operate in their society, people need mcdonalds and nike because if they don't buy these products then they will be deemed weird in their society. People don't buy american brands as a choice, they buy it because america has done such a great job of propagating culture in foreign nations that if they don't buy american shit they will be deemed weird by the people around them. Besides, people are to dumb to even think they have a choice, when you grow up with mcdonalds around you everywhere, what choice really do you have? It's cultural to go eat at maccers. its cultural to have polo ralph shirts and nike shoes. These are things you have to buy in order to be succesful in your society.
And sometimes they have no choice at all, like the american company monsanto owning all the seed producing industries in india. Farmers need to buy seed from american owned companies to grow crop and feed their families, they dont have a choice. And people south america need coke because they're water is too dirty to drink and coke is the cheapest source of water that they can attain.

Oh my god.....i dont think anything else needs to be said. But i'll say it anyway

You are the dumbest person on the internet.

>>FrEnZy<< said:

"Quite frankly", I want the last 2 minutes of my life back. :|

>>FrEnZy<< said:

They're forced to in order to be cool is not a valid reason.

They are not forced to in order to be cool. They grow up with it. It's like arranged marriges in india. Or the hicap in arabia. It's just what everybody else does, so you do it too. It's culture. It's what you need to do to be accepted by others. otherwise your outcasted by society, and your a loner, a failure and are hated by those around you. So what choice do you have?

>>FrEnZy<< said:
They are not forced to in order to be cool. They grow up with it. It's like arranged marriges in india. Or the hicap in arabia. It's just what everybody else does, so you do it too. It's culture. It's what you need to do to be accepted by others. otherwise your outcasted by society, and your a loner, a failure and are hated by those around you. So what choice do you have?
Wow, you are extremely naive if you think comformity is the biggest factor in how we live our lives.

Based on your reasoning, this kid shot and killed himself and others because he thought it was cool and he didn't have a choice.

What a ridiculous notion.

no no, your getting it mixed up sparta. A kid shot and killed himself and others because of the fundamental meaninglessness of american culture.

These conformity issues im talking about is a phennomena that occurs in foreign nations were american cultural imprialism is imposed.

If you wanna know why a kid shot and killed himself and others its because america promotes a consumerist and nihlistic culture.

>>FrEnZy<< said:
no no, your getting it mixed up sparta. A kid shot and killed himself and others because of the fundamental meaninglessness of american culture.

These conformity issues im talking about is a phennomena that occurs in foreign nations were american cultural imprialism is imposed.

If you wanna know why a kid shot and killed himself and others its because america promotes a consumerist and nihlistic culture.
...a nihilistic culture? A nihilistic culture made him shoot himself? To me you have to care about something a lot to shoot yourself.

>>FrEnZy<< said:

translation

>>FrEnZy<< said:
oh oh, everyone look at me. I try to sound intelligent but because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, no one cares.

:|

Back