2/3rds of Americans: creationism should be taught alongside evolution in school

KoreBolteR said:
Source. (classic stern quote)

the word "source" is there because it prevents knee-jerk reactions like

"you made that up liar!!" or "where did you hear that? I wont believe it till I read it myself"

:dozey:

CptStern said:
the word "source" is there because it prevents knee-jerk reactions like

"you made that up liar!!" or "where did you hear that? I wont believe it till I read it myself"

:dozey:

ah i see.

i suppose some 'sources' could be wrong though...sometimes :upstare: ?

nein, not when you provide multiple sources saying the same thing

CptStern said:
nein, not when you provide multiple sources saying the same thing

they must have wrote it all in thier own words....

ah well, i guess we'll never know for sure :)

read about this in the newspaper today...

only 2000 people responded on that poll and now all 300-whatever-million Americans are "de-evolving"...

I really wish polls were more truthful..ask EVERYONE..then see what the results are...just my $0.02 !

T.H.C.138 said:
read about this in the newspaper today...

only 2000 people responded on that poll and now all 300-whatever-million Americans are "de-evolving"...

I really wish polls were more truthful..ask EVERYONE..then see what the results are...just my $0.02 !

exit polls are innacurate too.

Secure a place for both, but it merits serparate times.

To answer those who'd say "Then you need everything" no- it will lie with the majority. If there's 1 student out of millions who demands to be taught they ways of the great octopus, the demand is not enough to merit a class, it's that way now particularly with things like AP Classes, if there's not enough students in it, they won't have it.

Like I said though, Bible studies would need its own classroom, starting it voluntary is the best way, it satisfies all I'd think, I can't see why anyone would be opposed to that, since no one is forced.

Top Secret said:
You don't servey 2000 people out of 300 million.

you dont seem to understand how polls work do you? ...tell me, what's "the margin of error" for?

Religion is the opiate of the masses

Just read this too:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/science/30profile.html?ex=1125547200&en=631977063d726261&ei=5070 said:
American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.

Looks like the whole education system there is a joke.

RakuraiTenjin said:

To answer those who'd say "Then you need everything" no- it will lie with the majority. If there's 1 student out of millions who demands to be taught they ways of the great octopus, the demand is not enough to merit a class, it's that way now particularly with things like AP Classes, if there's not enough students in it, they won't have it.

Like I said though, Bible studies would need its own classroom, starting it voluntary is the best way, it satisfies all I'd think, I can't see why anyone would be opposed to that, since no one is forced.

Oh yeah, Bible study classes and such are fine. AS LONG as they aren't mandatory. I'm all about freedom of religion.

Good grief: do people really not understand how statistics works? Sure, polls aren't accurate to within tenths of a percent. But they are almost never inaccurate much past a few percent if the survey size is larger than 1000.

KoreBolteR said:
what im saying is.... if we were apes.. how come there is still apes living today.

yes many americans did descent from the english. that has nothing to do with apes tho...:rolleyes:

It's the exact same situation. Just because your sister marries someone and has kids doesn't mean that you cease to exist.

We ARE apes. Modern chimps and humans both share a common ancestor: one is not descended from the other.

Apos said:
We ARE apes. Modern chimps and humans both share a common ancestor: one is not descended from the other.

Exactly... Creationists paint it as this:

Code:
Primitive "apes" --> Apes --> Humans

where its actually like this

Code:
                 -->Modern apes
Primative "apes"-
                 -->Humans

We come off a TREE of evolution, not a straight line...

bliink said:
Exactly... Creationists paint it as this:

Code:
Primitive "apes" --> Apes --> Humans

where its actually like this

Code:
                 -->Modern apes
Primative "apes"-
                 -->Humans

We come off a TREE of evolution, not a straight line...

i see, ok

cheers guys

KoreBolteR said:
i see, ok

cheers guys

:thumbs:

noone credible ever actually claimed that we evolved from the apes of today, thats just an anti-evolution distortion.

the real teaching is that the apes of today and humans have a common genetic ancestor. Homo-something-or-rathers.. (I forgot the scientific name of them)

What was that other species we maybe related to or something? Austrowuouwrouwoufrfeifhkshfp something.

but see you said, "homo" something or others, and thats why they refuse to believe it, becuase homos are sinners lol

DeusExMachinia said:
Oh yeah, Bible study classes and such are fine. AS LONG as they aren't mandatory. I'm all about freedom of religion.
It would satisfy most people if they did this. I mean, not 100% but honestly most would be.

Christian extremists will flip out because they don't have full control, but they're a minority.

Left extremists will flip out because it's the government involved with helping religious education.

Even if the church ends up funding it, they will flip out because they provide the classroom space, and it's better for the government to do so because they can be non-denominational then and not have a protestant-catholic division.

Most Americans see nothing wrong with that though, there's nothing wrong with funding faith/church-based programs

RakuraiTenjin said:

Likewise, the schools should provide Torah and Quaran study classes to those who request it, provided the demand was high enough. However somehow I believe there would be some outcry if these religions were taught in schools in the way some want Christianity taught.

staticprimer said:
Likewise, the schools should provide Torah and Quaran study classes to those who request it, provided the demand was high enough. However somehow I believe there would be some outcry if these religions were taught in schools in the way some want Christianity taught.
I really doubt the demand would be high enough. Although, I can see it in some areas though and that's acceptable.

For instances theirs Jewish boroughs of some cities, or in asian populated areas like Chinatowns in major cities schools near there may have classes in Buddhism or whatever other thing merits enough students requesting the program to add it.

But on the whole, it'd be mostly Christianity. That solves the problem simply though. Extremists on both sides prevent this from happening though when most of the people are alright with it, as it is free choice.

Evolution = Science

Creationism = Religion

I don't see how people could benefit from being taught creationism along side evolution. It gets really confusing then, because they contradict each other.

dream431ca said:
Evolution = Science

Creationism = Religion

I don't see how people could benefit from being taught creationism along side evolution. It gets really confusing then, because they contradict each other.

Creationism belongs in an elective religion class, nowhere else.

CptStern said:
you dont seem to understand how polls work do you? ...tell me, what's "the margin of error" for?

I've taken AP Statistics, I know all there is to know about margin of error. You don't servey 2000 to represent 300 million Stern. This isn't me talking, it's last years Stats book. But believe what you wish.

DeusExMachinia said:
What was that other species we maybe related to or something? Austrowuouwrouwoufrfeifhkshfp something.

Australopithecus.

I can't believe I didn't need to look that up. :p

And rakurai, can't you see the extremely blatant violation of church and state there?

A dangerous modern myth in america is that in order to be 'balanced,' the opposing argument always gets a say, regardless of merit, while the inconvenient third, fourth or etc. sides to an argument are usually ignored.

It's been in the news for years and now it's being used to teach religion into schools.
The weaker side is not allowed to 'lose' even the slightest bit, and thus gets more power than it deserves.
So religion gets equal airtime as science in taxpayer-funded science classes (even though it obviously does not belong), purely because it is an opposing viewpoint.

It's simply fact that church cannot be considered as officially valid as science, and attempts to put a thumb on the scale are hurting America more than half the population can apparently fathom.

Top Secret said:
I've taken AP Statistics, I know all there is to know about margin of error. You don't servey 2000 to represent 300 million Stern. This isn't me talking, it's last years Stats book. But believe what you wish.

I guess you had an outdated book:

"... a sample of 1,600 people gives you a margin of error of 2.5 percent, which is pretty darn good for a poll. (See Margin of Error for more details on that term, and on polls in general.) Now, remember that the size of the entire population doesn't matter here. You could have a nation of 250,000 people or 250 million and that won't affect how big your sample needs to be to come within your desired margin of error. The Math Gods just don't care."

source

"The margin of error can be calculated directly from the sample size (the number of poll respondents) and is commonly reported at one of three different levels of confidence. The 99 percent level is the most conservative, the 95 percent level is the most widespread, and the 90 percent level is rarely used. For example, if the level of confidence is 99 percent, there is a probability of at least 99 percent that the "true" percentage in the entire population is within one margin of error of a poll's reported percentage. Equivalently, the margin of error is a lower bound on the radius of the 99 percent confidence interval."

source

Scary, but hardly surprising. It's one thing to believe in those things, it's another to teach them. Evolution is a proved fact. Creationism was made up thousands of years ago, when that was the best explanation we could offer. Needless to say, perception of the world has a changed since then.

Yes, well, 2/3rds of Americans think Internet Explorer is the Internet.

2/3rd of americans think earth is flat, and not spherical.

just kidding :eek:

2/3rds of Americans think that the Sun orbits the Earth and that the Moon is the death star.

;) hehe, this is fun!

I wouldnt be surprised if the daily mail said that.

There getting dammed close.

The USA scares me.
Idiots at every of command...

Llama said:
The USA scares me.
Idiots at every of cammand...

Oops, you spelt command wrong, quick change it before it becomes too ironic!

Back