2/3rds of Americans: creationism should be taught alongside evolution in school

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
"The poll found that 42 percent of respondents held strict creationist views, agreeing that "living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time."

In contrast, 48 percent said they believed that humans had evolved over time. But of those, 18 percent said that evolution was "guided by a supreme being," and 26 percent said that evolution occurred through natural selection. In all, 64 percent said they were open to the idea of teaching creationism in addition to evolution, while 38 percent favored replacing evolution with creationism."

The poll was conducted July 7-17 by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life and the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. The questions about evolution were asked of 2,000 people. The margin of error was 2.5 percentage points."

source

are you people insane?

when the leader of the most powerful country in the world says:

"President Bush joined the debate on Aug. 2, telling reporters that both evolution and the theory of intelligent design should be taught in schools "so people can understand what the debate is about."

..you know there's something terribly wrong

"living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time."
I'm Creationist and I don't agree with that statement. *sigh*

Your a creationist?

Science has proof, creationism has NONE.

Dude, I hope that pols incorrect becuase...god dammit if not, those guys are stupid!

Noooooooo! We used to be moving forward.

Its stuff like this that make me see that the US may become a very minor contributer of science and technology in the years to come while its infrastructure remains largely unchanged.

This is the second-worst thing I've heard all week.

Next thing you know, medical schools will train doctors to smack their patients in the forehead while yelling prayers in order to 'get the demons out.'

Ugh.

Yes, let's teach a completely non-scientific theory alongside one that is, even though it has absolutely no place in our education system.

You go ahead and turn science into a joke.

2/3 of Americans are idiots. Just think, hundred of years from now people will look back on America today and just laugh their asses off and think 'what a bunch of ignorant people', much how we look upon the people of the dark ages. The Earth is flat anyone?

Heh, it was on Boing Boing earlier this week that 1/5 of Americans think that the sun revolves around the Earth, and that the University of California was being sued because it taught evolution over creationism. Really, I'd be worried if I lived over there right now that idiocy is well and truly taking over.

How did the US become the "Most Powerful Nation"? It just doesnt make any sense. As a matter of interest how wide ranging was this poll? Cause Im thinking that alot of people who believe Evolution should be No. 1 probly Laughed their asses off and threw the Survey in the bin.
And if that aint the case what next?? Classes on "How to Identify The Witches amoungst us"? Perhaps Night Courses on "Holy Crusades: Who to Rape,Who to Pillage"

Out of what? 140 MILLION people they ask 2, 000? that is NOT a reliable poll, and they DO NOT state WHERE the people live who they asked, those 2, 000 could be the most religious fanatics in the whole of america for all we know.

MaxiKana said:
Out of what? 140 MILLION people they ask 2, 000? that is NOT a reliable poll, and they DO NOT state WHERE the people live who they asked, those 2, 000 could be the most religious fanatics in the whole of america for all we know.

there's closer to 300 million americans ..and the poll was nationwide and:

"the margin of error was 2.5 percentage points"

here's the complete report

Yeah, they always say that, but statistics AREN'T that easy, there are ALOT of things that can influence the results, how the question was asked, what way they got the results(phone, letter, email, website etc.)

I just don't trust statistics at all.

MaxiKana said:
Yeah, they always say that, but statistics AREN'T that easy, there are ALOT of things that can influence the results, how the question was asked, what way they got the results(phone, letter, email, website etc.)

I just don't trust statistics at all.

"The Forum pursues its mission by delivering timely, impartial information to national opinion leaders, including government officials and journalists. As a nonpartisan, non-advocacy organization, the Forum does not take positions on policy debates."

"To ensure that the information we generate is of the greatest value to citizens and policymakers, the Center is committed to conducting research in a manner that is impartial, open-minded and meets the highest standards of methodological integrity. We employ only those tools and methods of analysis that, in our professional judgment, are well suited to the research question at hand. We describe our findings and methods accurately and in sufficient detail to permit outsiders to evaluate the credibility of our results. We encourage inquiries about our research methods and practices, and attempt to answer requests for information promptly. When we conduct survey research, we are committed to dealing in an honest, open and transparent way with our respondents, and to protecting their privacy"

I believe it shouldn't...it should stay in church. kthxbai

I do believe god created the universe by the big bang...so my theory wins ether way. :D

CptStern said:
In all, 64 percent said they were open to the idea of teaching creationism in addition to evolution, while 38 percent favored replacing evolution with creationism."
Am I missing something here? 64 + 38 = 102, and even with a 2.5% margin of error, that means that 0.5% of the respondants disagreed with the idea of introducing creationism, which is highly unlikely.

Oh, and I laugh at the idea of teaching unfounded fiction alongside scientifically-proven facts.

Axyon said:
Am I missing something here? 64 + 38 = 102, and even with a 2.5% margin of error, that means that 0.5% of the respondants disagreed with the idea of introducing creationism, which is highly unlikely.

Oh, and I laugh at the idea of teaching unfounded fiction alongside scientifically-proven facts.

I quoted out of context:

"In contrast, 48 percent said they believed that humans had evolved over time. But of those, 18 percent said that evolution was "guided by a supreme being," and 26 percent said that evolution occurred through natural selection. In all, 64 percent said they were open to the idea of teaching creationism in addition to evolution, while 38 percent favored replacing evolution with creationism."

I think they're saying 38% of the 64% were in favour of "replacing evolution with creationism."

we evolved from some sort of apes... but isnt it weird how there are still apes living?

or were we neanderthals....

I believe this is the beginning of the fall of American empire. America will decline intelectually while the rest of the civilized world passes it by. I mean, seriously, what is wrong with America?

KoreBolteR said:
we evolved from some sort of apes... but isnt it weird how there are still apes living?

or were we neanderthals....
No, we killed off the neanderthals.

CptStern said:
I quoted out of context:

"In contrast, 48 percent said they believed that humans had evolved over time. But of those, 18 percent said that evolution was "guided by a supreme being," and 26 percent said that evolution occurred through natural selection. In all, 64 percent said they were open to the idea of teaching creationism in addition to evolution, while 38 percent favored replacing evolution with creationism."

I think they're saying 38% of the 64% were in favour of "replacing evolution with creationism."
Ah, that would make more sense. Well the idea itself doesn't, but you know what I mean.

Axyon said:
Ah, that would make more sense. Well the idea itself doesn't, but you know what I mean.

yes, specifically the "unfounded fiction" part :)

KoreBolteR said:

Many Americans are descended from the English. Isn't it weird how there are still English people in England?

Damn those english! Lets finish them off!

KoreBolteR said:
seriously????
i thought we WERE the neanderthals. (us in ape like):eek: :eek: :eek:

no you're thinking about republicans and sport hunters/minutemen/gh0st

Apos said:
Many Americans are descended from the English. Isn't it weird how there are still English people in England?

what im saying is.... if we were apes.. how come there is still apes living today.

yes many americans did descent from the english. that has nothing to do with apes tho...:rolleyes:

what im saying is.... if we were apes.. how come there is still apes living today.

Becuase a few apes branched off and evolved, the other apes who didnt evolve into whatever form, as they were fine where they were survived.

KoreBolteR said:

yes many americans did descent from the english. that has nothing to do with apes tho...:rolleyes:
cuz not all the apes evolved maybe?

I think Spore will manage to clear up a lot of this debate. :)

Obciously a vet of the American school system ^

I live in california
We love weed and gay people
i wonder what a similar poll with just californians would be like

I don't get it. Was that an insult of some kind?

Absinthe said:
I think Spore will manage to clear up a lot of this debate.

not if Jack Thompson gets wind of it

"they're teaching god-less evolution to our CHLDREN!! Next they'll be telling us there's no god!! Spore is evil! it's the work of the devil! it even sounds evil!!! AVERT YOUR EYES!!!!"

There is absolutely no way whatsoever that anyone can even come close to showing how the "intelligent design" theory can be in any way supported. People just use it to justify their religion because they're reluctant to admit that the bible is completely wrong.

Absinthe said:
OH MY GOD HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK :|

absinthe cant read what im saying , haha

i can say anything i like and he wont know a thing :naughty:

Well if you mean rock as in a shitty ass trailer....then yes..I have. (Also I bearly watch tv.)

So explain what spore is.

Back