9800 Pro vs non Pro: what's the difference?

Apos

Tank
Reaction score
That's basically the only difference, the core/mem speeds. You might as well get the Pro since it's only an $80 difference and you might be thinking... "If I get the non-Pro I can overclock it to speeds of the Pro", which is true, but you can also overclock a Pro to speeds that a non-Pro could never touch.

Yep, thats the only diffrence i know of. Its the same with the 9700 cards too.

I have a cruddy 9000 pro, so that means mine is better than an 9000 ? kewl

So wait, is the non-Pro then inferior silicon that they couldn't get to run at Pro-level speeds or something? Because that doesn't sound so great. I'm not planning on overclocking much, though if I could get a non-Pro to Pro speed with stock cooling that'd be a no-brainer.

No, non-pro just means exactly what it says. People who don't want to dish out for the faster core/memory speed, thats what they get.

No, non-pro just means exactly what it says. People who don't want to dish out for the faster core/memory speed, thats what they get.

That doesn't answer my question: we could still both be right.

I think they are different boards in some fasion. ATI learned their lesson about underclocking to sell as a cheaper product from the 9500.

Originally posted by Apos
So wait, is the non-Pro then inferior silicon that they couldn't get to run at Pro-level speeds or something? Because that doesn't sound so great. I'm not planning on overclocking much, though if I could get a non-Pro to Pro speed with stock cooling that'd be a no-brainer.
Yea, you can OC to a Pro with stock cooling, but it's not like OCing an nividia card in which you have to move sliders. You're gonna have to flash to the 9800 Pro bios on your 9800 non Pro to achieve the Pro speeds and if something goes wrong with the flash then might have problems, which is why spending an additional $80 for a pro is a better move.

you pay 50$ more to get an overclocked version of the 9800. that's just about it.

What ? There is a non pro version? I havents seen a non pro in any stores

The clock speeds and the Ram is different. The clock speeds ususally run lower around 25-50 mhz.

I haven't even seen the 9800 in stores yet. Like everything else, though, you can get it online for a great price.

is it possible to connect to have two video cards running simultaneously in your computer for faster and better performance?

Back