9800 Pro with 1.8 Ghz P4 and 512mb SDRAM

Doobz

Reaction score
ok, just a quick question i've been worrying about

i recently bought a 9800 Pro and it's on it's way right now, my system runs on a P4 1.8 Ghz processor and 512 megabytes of SDRAM

will the card be noticeably limited by the processor and RAM? or am i worrying too much?

Isn't sdram very old?
I think you should get yourself 512mc ddr =\
btw, i've got that same system you got, but with 1024mb rdram =)

The Next Person Who Has Over The Minimum Specs And Is Worried About Not Being Able To Run It Fast Enuf' Gets A Wet Partially Frozen Chunk Of Erectile Tissue In The Eye! Honestly some of us with 800 mhz cpu's are worried about getting a decent framerate on its lowest specs.. quitcher bitchin' your comp = 10x greater then mine

rambus (rdram) is the most expensive kind of ram, I dunno but i think its the fastests too =\

Originally posted by Aethaecyn
The Next Person Who Has Over The Minimum Specs And Is Worried About Not Being Able To Run It Fast Enuf' Gets A Wet Partially Frozen Chunk Of Erectile Tissue In The Eye! Honestly some of us with 800 mhz cpu's are worried about getting a decent framerate on its lowest specs.. quitcher bitchin' your comp = 10x greater then mine

Damn straight:afro:
Alright, I don't have an 800MHz but STILL. I reckon they're just doing it to piss other people off. Bastards.

no, you self-righteous, victimified monkeys, i wasn't asking whether it would run half-life 2 well, i was wondering whether those system specs would hold my video card back noticeably

well its come up enuf that this was remotley related enuf to be associated with them so if someone is reading this then thinking that they will post about such since it is related it will dissuade them or something... cough

Originally posted by Doobz
ok, just a quick question i've been worrying about

i recently bought a 9800 Pro and it's on it's way right now, my system runs on a P4 1.8 Ghz processor and 512 megabytes of SDRAM

will the card be noticeably limited by the processor and RAM? or am i worrying too much?

yes the CPU and RAM will bottleneck your videocard. whether it will be noticeable is a different story.

Originally posted by Aethaecyn

Don't read it then. It's as simple as that. There is nothing else to talk about in the hardware forum so who cares. If someone wants to post there specs they can if they want to.

yeah man, check you computer "wattage" too, I think you need good watts, something like 450? i may be wrong but cpu is definitylylike 2.4 Ghz or abouve to run that good of a video card. You should check your system specs before you buy such an expensive card

Originally posted by csmighty
yeah man, check you computer "wattage" too, I think you need good watts, something like 450? i may be wrong but cpu is definitylylike 2.4 Ghz or abouve to run that good of a video card. You should check your system specs before you buy such an expensive card
And of course, you have to keep in mind that wattage has nothing to do with the power it can supply, its just another "lets go and buy a FX with a dust blower capable of blowing you away, it GOT TO be fast!" theory...*

*Meaning, look at the amps on the powerlines and whether it can supply stable power, a 300W high quality brand box can FAR outperform a 450W generic crap box sometime.

yeah, don't worry about my wattage, i've got a nice quality, 400w dual fan processor to come along with the video card

btw, dawdler, would you be the same dawdler who works on the EoD mod for BF?

Damn I'm gonna have to upgrade my processor soon.... I'm still running on an Athlon XP 1600+. It's still working great for me too, but I guess once games like HL2 and Doom III start popping up I'll want to upgrade so I can take full advantage of a higher end video card.

Right now is a good time to upgrade. The new P4c chips aren't too expensive and they'll last you a very long time.

Back