A not about the 'recommended' requirements.

SpuD

Reaction score
Now i was lookin at these, Then i was lookin back at my HL1 box.
Minimum System Requirements

Windows® 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0
Pentium® 133
24 MB RAM
2X CD-ROM drive
Mouse and Keyboard
640x480 SVGA high color (16-bit) display
Windows-compatible sound device

Recommended System Requirements

Pentium® 166+
32 MB RAM
3D accelerator card (OpenGL or Direct 3D)

Now, the recommended specs for HL2 are like 2.0 GHz, radeon 9800 etc etc... Now, you try and play HL1 one that system, it will look like shit, i bet ya. So the "recommended req." probably arent the best, maybe you want to get as good as you can... But then again, in 5 years, we will look back on the 2.0 GHz and 9800 and think that is shit. I hope this nonsensical rabble makes you think a little.

This is going to turn into another flex your e-penis show your system specs thread.

I cant get enough of them, really helpfull to learn what some guy on the other side of the world has as his computer.

Originally posted by urseus
This is going to turn into another flex your e-penis show your system specs thread.

i think htis is one of the best quotes i have ever heard.

I overclocked my keyboard to have 7 "g" keys!!! GRAHHHHH!!!!111one

SO ANYWAYS I GOT MY NEW P3 3.8 GHZ SYSTEM WITH A BLAH BLAH BLAH

i hope it doesn't turn into one of those threads...

and i remember when i got my voodoo2, just for half life (on my p-mmx 233). it was so worth it.

I have a gforce 4 and 1.4 mhz processor.

Does that mean i have to upgrade?

....that spreadsheet ran so well.

Ill make the english people bloody, and the title was supposed to be "note" not "not"

Now, you try and play HL1 one that system, it will look like shit, i bet ya.

Hi. You're full of it. They've been showing HL2 to people on exactly that system (only at e3 do we think they had a 3Ghz) and not even with a Radeon: with a Geforce4.

Originally posted by Apos
Hi. You're full of it. They've been showing HL2 to people on exactly that system (only at e3 do we think they had a 3Ghz) and not even with a Radeon: with a Geforce4.

Rite. At the ATI booth.

Thats like Pepsi promoting vanilla coke at a trade show.

SpuD said play Half-Life 1 not HL2 on "that" system and it would look like shit, meaning if we played the original Half-Life on a system with the specs that were given as the minimum config for HL1, we wouldn't think it would look very good. Which makes sense, because we're all used to playing games with fast processors and super 3d video cards. So in retrospect, in 5 years time, we might think, "I can't believe I ever played HL2 on that crappy (fill in the blank 800Mhz/DX6 video card minimum spec for HL2) system."

Am I explaining that correctly, Spud?

Rite. At the ATI booth.

No dumbass, at the press junkets. The e3 demo was on a Radeon 9800 Pro, or so we can assume since Gabe implies as much on the video.

YES djkanuk, thats exactly what i was trying to say! just im bad with words.

actually, HL1 looked really good on that system (P 166, 3D accelerator card). You have to compare it against the other games of the time, not current standards

I played thru HL1 twice on software mode with mediocre FPS and it was still just as fun :)

Valve understood the value of longevity from their experience with HL1 and its mods. They are one of the only developers that take a 'long view' of game development, and not like most... ship it out the door and forget about it (hello, EA?).

I think we'll keep seeing improvements to HL2 thru Steam that mean the game will look great now on a pretty basic system, and even better on systems that will come out in the future.

bike.jpg
Thats me on the bike :)

Ive always said this is what it comes down to. I said a while ago in a post that they should just post pictures of our...manly bits and get it over with.

Please. Never tell me how you found out about that site.

Its quite weird the way it just casually says, check your balls for any abnomilies, testicular cancer is the most common amoung young men in the UK.

Originally posted by Bad^Hat
I played thru HL1 twice on software mode with mediocre FPS and it was still just as fun :)

me too.....

Please note:

Technology for HL2 stopped being developed in September 2002.... you aren't gonna require an amazingly NASA-stylee pc to play it..... methinks 2.0 ghz will be recommended and a 128mb Card, and a 64mb card with a 1.5ghz minimum , and I know this hasn't helped really, but still.....:p

The video that everyone has seen (I suppose) they are using a 9800PRO. Remember it's in ATI's booth ;) And in the older (less good) video, they say they are using one.

(did I spell "booth" wrong?)

Haaa! This thread is too much. Fawlsparrow is in the bathroom checking his nuts, nietzsche is posting pics of Squarehead SpongeBob the Gay Terminator and the whole situation is going to lead to an awkward homosexual experience.:0

My spleen is sensing imminent rupture.:D

Happy to oblige.

But that guy you posted looks like something out of a German Gay BDSM magazine. I'll have nightmares.

You guys can stick on topic for more that a day can you?

Originally posted by SpuD
You guys can stick on topic for more that a day can you?

To be honest the topic wasnt worth talking about.

Im not acctually checking my nuts. I was just repeating what it said on the site he said to go to. I dont have funny balls....I dont.....STOP LOOKING AT ME!

/me runs off to the bathroom and shuts the door

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
To be honest the topic wasnt worth talking about.

Im not acctually checking my nuts. I was just repeating what it said on the site he said to go to. I dont have funny balls....I dont.....STOP LOOKING AT ME!

/me runs off to the bathroom and shuts the door

Bwwaahhaa hee ehee hoo haaa :D

gasp he said gasp hee he doesn't have funny balls bpfftt haahahaa:D

Your a tad easy to amuse arnt you.

Dude you have no ******king Idea!

Hoo hoo ahaaaaa! I'm wearing sandals.. haaaaa ! hoohooo !

Back