A Photo A Day Thread

I hope to do some actual traveling sometime this week, I can't talk my family into Chichen Itza again, but Tulum is pretty close by. I do my editing in Photoshop, by the way, these particular pictures were just with a point and shoot.

Terrace_by_ChemicalAlia.jpg

Thats pretty damn impressive for a point and shoot.

Did I just spend all that money on a DSLR for nothing?

I need better lenses and a tripod me thinks.

Just spent the hole day sitting in cafe's + pubs in brigthon... here are the results :)

10wtrte.jpg

x3s58o.jpg

w8rvib.jpg

2vjyghs.jpg

k37z11.jpg

1to6lj.jpg

e19npu.jpg

15goto5.jpg

^^ nicenessnessness...

Had some fun with a fish eye lens and also an 85mm. Shame my camera is only a 450d, these shots would look so much nicer on a better camera. New 50mm should be here in the next few days, carnt wait!

2vua61i.jpg

20i9hrp.jpg

16axu7k.jpg

k0h7qp.jpg

dbjfb9.jpg

4ibvx3.jpg

5tv6o.jpg

Enjoying the panoramas Kaptain H. Though on the last one the colors are a bit dim - did you shoot this through a UV filter?

xcellerate - I don't know how you do this, but your photos are always so sharp and neat that it looks almost like rendered in 3D ;) Really nice.

Stormy - sweet shots, especially the last one - would make a perfect stock photo for a youth-themed-travel-whatever website. Remind me of how I need some new lens. [email protected]? - damn.

suncarv15.jpg

^^ Coolio

Yea it was a really sweet lens, on my camera it ends up being like a 120mm but took a few shots with my mates 2D and they look really stunning. Shame its such an expensive lens they are around £370 on amazon. But should get similer results on the 50mm when it comes next week.

Another fish eye shot..

wsk8k0.jpg

Great day today, my new 50mm f/1.4 turned up =D

bbgg0.jpg

30li0dt.jpg

f3wfv8.jpg

5x6cfq.jpg

TWR_0288.jpg

Yearly "Pie A Deskie" event at uni. For some reason, I really liked how this turned out.

I haven't been shooting a lot lately, so I'm trying to change that. I'm applying for a position on the school's newspaper photo team, so hopefully I'll get that.

if that's where i think it is in Brighton, there's a great record store in that square

Yea, um rounder records I think its called, just behind the dolphins!

Some cool pictures, but there's something wrong with the compression I think. Especially shadows look weird.

It's weird, if I save your picture and open it in Irfanview it looks normal, but in firefox the shadows are of lower quality.

Here's a comparison. I copy&pasted a part of the left image onto the one in Irfanview on the right for easier comparison. Notice the difference in the shadow transition on his cheek. Perhaps turn up your brightness if you don't see it, the difference should be more apparent then.

qualityp.jpg

Thats really odd, I'm using firefox too and looks fine. All your drives up to date?

Thats really odd, I'm using firefox too and looks fine. All your drives up to date?

I just opened it in Chrome and it looks fine as well. Odd indeed, I've got Firefox 3.6.3, I assume that's the latest version.

Sorry for the false alarm ;)

Really enjoying these black and white shots, seem to add a lot of character to portraits.

bhyfxf.jpg

2wmoqkw.jpg

e9zrs8.jpg

34dk9ag.jpg

al50qx.jpg

2uqgbpd.jpg

03-1.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

i love shooting with no flash.

I wish my digital camera could take photos half as good as the ones in this thread.

One more from brighton marina and then some snaps from london zoo. Was lacking any telephoto lens so had to make do with a 50mm :(

qoczz8.jpg

116hsti.jpg

k0331t.jpg

9km0pl.jpg

w9k204.jpg

34e287m.jpg

2jg8h9c.jpg

104m145.jpg

Forest fire happening right now:

TWR_0477.jpg

TWR_0479.jpg

To give you a sense of the size, that main chute of smoke is about twenty miles away. It's filling the entire view of the northern sky.

Just a couple from home.

4598549133_418a297887_b.jpg

4599138168_2f548bacee_b.jpg

I need to start fiddling with the aperture settings or learn aperture priority to get the whole shot in focus.

It's nice to have a wide aperture to make the hole shot NOT in focus. It means people are drawn into your subject matter which would be in focus.

Wide apertures also mean you can mash up the shutter speed which reduces the chances of a blury photo!

It all depends on the situation. My 2nd picture has no focal point really, so I should have used a smaller F number to get the whole shot in focus.

I love taking landscape pics, so first I need a wideangle lense of decent quality, and a tripod.

And doesnt the shutter speed adjust automatically when you alter the F number?

And doesnt the shutter speed adjust automatically when you alter the F number?

Yes and no, it really depends on what setting you have the camera on. If its on manual then you will need to change them both manually, there is usually a mode where you can change shutter speed manually and the F auto changes and one where you manually change the F and the shutter speed autos.

Then you get some landscape, portrait type settings which generally just adjust the color settings such as saturation, contrast etc...

The best thing to do is to shoot either in manual, auto F or auto shutter speed type settings and leave much of the saturation, contrast type color information as neutral.

It is also very important to shoot in RAW formate, you then take your RAW images and take them into a program like lightroom where you are able to adjust tons of stuff. Basically rather then adjusting colour settings on the camera you do it all later on using the computer. Keeping all the camera settings to neutral will just give you a cleaner image to work with later on.

Make sure you check out lightroom!

Well you can set shutter priority and aperture priority on the wheel on Canons and Nikons these days (mines Nikon), and that must be what you're talking about with the adjusting shutter speeds.

I should really read my manual at some point...

Ive always read or heard that its best to shoot in RAW and have full control in manual, I just need to get the practice in. Problem is, I can never seem to find something interesting that is worth shooting. I dont like taking generic photos that everyone has seen before.

Also, because RAW files are bigger, I dont know how many shots you can get. On JPEG (Large) the max Ive ever taken is 274 and I didnt check how much more space I had on the 8gb card. And I dont know how large each RAW file is yet. Again, need to read my manual and do some research online.

''Oh look, another lone tree on a hill with the sun setting behind it...zzzzzz''.

Other problem is, Ive yet to actually take a photo that is different.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Grab this app, just snap a few random shoots of anything and then open up the RAW's. Just have a play around. Its pretty easy to make some of the most boring pictures look really interesting.

Also what lens are you using, it really makes a big difference in taking what you think is a "normal boring" picture and something that looks quite arty farty.

With the basic cannon 18-55 lens that came with camera all the photos i took just looked boring, as soon as I grabbed some more interesting lens you start to take some really nice pics.

Back