A Photo A Day Thread

After my grandad on my dad's side of the family died about 3 years ago I found this bad boy among his old stuff. Will take a better pic maybe when I wake up. Dunno where he got it. Pretty ****ing old and dirty though. I wanna think its a from WW2 or something, but my grandad wasn't in that war so probably got it from his father or something.

000_0001.jpg

Willie, I have a sword like that from my Dad. He got in it Vietnam.

Nice seagull, Melvin.

I'm back to post a few more pics of my area.

This half-built hulk of construction is part of the 'Downshire Development'. Rumour has it that upon completion it would have boasted a cinema, a hotel and some assorted miscellaneous businesses. It was intended to revitalise the town and become a new, exciting focal point for families and da yoof.

downshire1.jpg

Note the absence of cranes and materiel. They're all long gone; the developer went bust due to a combination of random crunchy credit and falling victim to a local big-time conman. Now it just sits on the edge of town unfinished, like a little Ryugyong Hotel for small-town Ireland.

downshire2.jpg

Below you can see the never-to-be-used elevator shaft and a great quantity of water.

downshireshaft.jpg

I can't figure out why the foundations are so badly flooded. This whole thing is a big shit for the town.

It's depressing here - let's go back to the marginally less depressing canal!

aqueduct.jpg

I was trying to get a pic of some bees against a nice background, but I settled for just reeds after they all BUZZED OFF, HAAAWWWnnnnnhg... The stone structure is Blundell Aqueduct, although the word 'aqueduct' conjures up images of something greater than just the top part of a traffic tunnel passing under the canal - which is what it is.

Further on, some travellers have set up a couple of caravans by one of the bridges. These are their horses, tied up on the canalbank a little way down.

gyppohorse.jpg

I don't know much about horses but these appear to me to be in a sorry state. Both are skinny, and the one in the background flinched and nearly bolted when I raised the camera to take a closer pic of him, so I refrained. That one also had some very visible scars and marks on his coat. In other news: Tranquil Rural Scene Rocked By Finger On Lens Scandal!

By this point I still had the urge to get a nice close-up picture of an insect, having never once done so in my life. I kept my camera out and chased a few Cabbage Whites, but they were uncooperative. This fellow, however, was glad to oblige.

prettyfly.jpg

What a handsome character. He flew off a fraction of a second later, clearly having regrets about his first amateur shoot.

Finally, here is another look at the barge from the last set of photos. I think it looks neat.

barge.jpg

I went to Piha. We went to the beach. I took average photos, many of them while walking. LET'S TAKE A LOOK

Looking down from North Piha to South Piha, with lion rock.

p1010002onz.jpg

Te Waha point.

iqvj80.jpg

p1010008hyd.jpg

The path up the hill to Te Waha point

p1010016l.jpg

View from the path

p1010017sxl.jpg

White's Beach from the top of the headland

p1010021t.jpg

p1010024xae.jpg

A bench.

p1010028pcv.jpg

Some bark.

p1010035x.jpg

p1010039c.jpg

p1010041dxk.jpg

p1010046i.jpg

p1010047a.jpg

p1010048v.jpg

p1010051s.jpg

Me.

p1010065v.jpg

p1010066s.jpg

Back down on the beach, looking towards Te Waha point.

p1010067q.jpg

The other direction

p1010069qon.jpg

Dogs

p1010074o.jpg

p1010075p.jpg

p1010083bxc.jpg

p1010091bpl.jpg

p1010094tai.jpg

p1010100n.jpg

p1010105i.jpg

p1010115qwe.jpg

Our bach.

p1010117k.jpg

Thank you KA for those average pictures which are probably slightly above average. They are nice.

Thank you. They are pretty average though also, and I haven't done any fixin' to them. I also didn't plan them out or take very long to get shots. It's more of a tour than a photo-essay.

So many lovely pics, impromptu or not.

That Mugabe really gets around.

Mugabe is secretly from Yorkshire. The clue is that Mugabe is 'Eee, by gum' backwards.

An evening booze run via the canal turned into a nice opportunity to snap some pics.

sunsetbarbedwire.jpg

sunsetcanal1.jpg

sunsetcanal3.jpg

sunsetcanal5.jpg

sunrisecornfield.jpg

Sunrises, hell yeah. Yours is probably a sunset, unless you're a morning drunk but oh well.

I like that shot a lot, are you low in the grass or is that some tall crop?

I think this is my only sunset shot:
2160639832_8de8f576da_o.jpg

I don't post often in this thread so I am gonna grant myself 3 pics:

aa3.jpg

AA1.jpg

aa2.jpg

Cookie for the person who knows where the pics were made.

Is that the Memorial to the Murdered Jews in Berlin in the 2nd picture?

Anyway, time to update this thread. These were taken in the Fulufjallet National Park in Sweden were I went with a group of 10 friends.

Some random shack:

dsc1122d.jpg

A friend with whom I went to draw water from the lake in the morning:

dsc1183r.jpg

The cabin in the middle of nowhere, we spent the night in. At night it was completely silent and almost completely dark outside, which was kinda creepy to the point that a few of the females decided to piss in a bucket instead of going outside. One of the guys slept with an axe within reach "just in case".

dsc1186.jpg

The lake:

dsc1199c.jpg

Our group on it's way back from the wild:

edsc0004.jpg

All-in-all, a very enjoyable trip.

http://fotki.yandex***/users/oreolek/album/59022?p=2

there're too much of 'em, sorry

't was summer. Now it's winter. And these are not the same places.

Ah, I liked that last set of photos you posted...always interesting to see other towns. The snow makes me jealous, I'm still wearing t-shirts :\

my friend just got his g35 back after having a twin-turbo kit installed, he was busy so I had to settle for the parking garage he was parked in, but it gave me a chance to use my new 35mm f/1.8...

dsc0087t.jpg

He knew we were watching him and he'd always face his back towards us.
4148566528_1745c8e84a_o.jpg

LOL, what an asshole. You managed to get a nice shot of him anyway.

From a trip to Tallinn, Estonia:

dsc0273n.jpg

Europe

Europe..

Attachments

• Pictures 105.jpg
    Pictures 105.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 299
Back