A Photo A Day Thread

A face
3323255000_026e8a6eb9_b.jpg

How the **** do you get such amazing closeups? Is that a non digital camera? <whimpers>

I bought my FujiFilm FinePix S5000 years ago... and maybe it's just not good enough, but I can't even get close to that quality closeups. Always too blurry even if I try to mount it.

I hope it's just a case of lack of knowledge of photo taking and that my camera could do it.

reverse_macro_ring_05.jpg

Reverse lens macro trick.

Except I'm also using an accordion bellows, so I can get even closer (1-5mm from lens) than the direct-mount setup. I recommend a low aperture lens and lots of lighting.

I've always liked the lomo looking stuff.

Do you know the guy in the picture?

Nice, chimpmunk.

So, how did you do the light stroke? Did you run with the light source? Wouldn't your silhouette be visible then?

Nice, chimpmunk.

So, how did you do the light stroke? Did you run with the light source? Wouldn't your silhouette be visible then?

It's a thirty seconds exposure, the light came from a flash I was carrying around and poping where I wanted light, the light stroke comes from the frontal flashlight I was wearing, it was enough to create a light stroke but not enough to light up the image (it wasn't the main source of lightning).

I don't know if it's clear... Let me know if I'm confusing.

The reason why chimpmunk's silhouette isn't visible is the length of the exposure. Moving objects become less visible, the longer the exposure is except lightsources of course.

Yeah, that makes sense. I thought the camera would still capture a faded image of you, but looks like it doesn't. I didn't experiment much with exposure times that long myself.

edit: yea now that you point it out I don't like the way that angle looks.

new one:
dsc0085o.jpg

2jexkpe.jpg

A CD on my desk cast a rainbow over the shadow of my mixing console during the late afternoon.

Yeah, it's Kaikoura. You should visit the North Island some time, it's very exciting. We have electricity and running water.

Yeah, it's Kaikoura. You should visit the North Island some time, it's very exciting. We have electricity and running water.

So what provoked you to visit Kiakoura? :S

Next time you're there, come to CHCH and we can meet for a latte.

Oh man long story also I (on that same trip) was in CHCH not too long ago! Pretty nice city I reckon also you have a very nice second hand store there. But probably I will not be there for a long time because I don't often visit third world countries haw haw haw haw

Just because the South Island is pretty and has lots of mountains and the North Island is one big field with two over-populated immigrant full cities doesn't mean you have to be jealous!

You guys should totally fight this out, north vs south, the final showdown. Maybe in New Zealand the south will win for once. :)

moonshot.jpg

just sat out on my pool deck with my telescope and watching the moon/fireworks. this was shot with my telescope and cell phone and it took me about 10 tries just to get this shot. but overall i like the results. i had to use black and white but at night its hardly noticeable

I sometimes take pictures when I go out for a walk, so I figured I'd post one or two here. They're nothing special, I don't know the first thing about photography, wouldn't know where to begin touching them up, etc.

But yeah, anyway: when I'm not being a recluse I like to walk around town. If I walk far enough through ugly residential streets, I find this neglected path that I like.

img0999z.jpg

It is a 5-10 minute corridor of dense foliage all above and around. A couple of small trees have fallen across the way at points and it gets too muddy to walk in wet weather. In the sunshine, though, I enjoy peeking out through shiny 'windows' in the corridor.

img1008i.jpg

img1005rye.jpg

I emerge at an old canal. It's a stretch of the Grand Canal connected to Dublin, which is 40 miles east of here. Nominally it's still in use for pleasure craft but in reality you could get periods of weeks and months without a boat passing through. That is fine by me.

The path I emerged from crosses an old bridge. Grass grows on the gravelly path atop the bridge.

img0996ktu.jpg

A disused canal lock sits in front of the bridge. The gates of the lock are chained open.

The path I walked continues leading directly away from the canal on the far bank. However, this new stretch of the path is almost too overgrown to even consider walking. The last time I checked, to make it even more impassable some bastard farmer or someone had blocked it off altogether with a big bale of branches. The bridge, therefore, grants access to the opposite bank, but there is nowhere to go from there until you reach the next bridges on the canal. This bridge no longer has a point.

I walk the towpaths of the old canal instead. I take photos of the bridges on the canal. Unlike the last bridge, this one is connected to an actual road which actual people and even actual vehicles use. Not many, however, because it's a very quiet road.

img1016z.jpg

Same bridge, sunnier day.

img0987d.jpg

These bridges were built in the 1790's, which is also when this stretch of canal was opened.

I walk back into town following the town's own dead-end branch of the canal. This derelict barge sits near the end of the line. The last passenger barge from here to Dublin departed in 1962.

img1010hch.jpg

Now here is a rose from my mum's garden for reading my photos <3

img1029z.jpg

Back