A question on forum policy

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
So I know that for a couple of reasons, discussing pirate copies of games is a no-go. How about ROM-hacks? What I'm talking about is modified versions of say Mega Drive and SNES games that people make that you run using an emulator. Emulators, as far as I can understand it, are not illegal (unless they're using illegal BIOS files or something) but downloading the game ROMs and running them is. Hacks are modified ROMs so I'm pretty sure they are illegal.

So basically, would discussing ROM hacks be a no-go or would posting a thread about them be ok?

I'm not sure, I know evo bans people for saying things like "I support piracy". Which is strange, after all I simply don't believe he has never engaged in it himself.

I'm sure a cop has sped before but has given speeding tickets, Evo is just doing his job.

Well I'd just like to discuss some hacks I was trying out. I won't give any links (they're not hard to find) but they're basically just mods that there is no legal way of playing :p

Running a ROM isn't illegal if you own the game.

What games did you modify? Any good, or just different? I'm picturing Valve themed sprite replacements or something.

Dude I already told you in PM, I didn't make anything. I just wanted to discuss ROM hacks in general.

That's a no-go I'm afraid.

I got infracted for posting screenshots of a legit game in an emulator that doesn't depend on ripped BIOSes.

Back