Air Operations in Libya Have Begun

Adrien C

Reaction score
French Rafales have started operations over Libyan air zone.

Who is joining the party ?

Just don't surrender before the rest of us get there.

So the first wave will be France, Britain and Canada, right? I'm a bit disappointed that the good ol' Luftwaffe won't see action. It's been 70 years, man, it's time for them to shine.

I am also disappointed that the Germans tend to back off any war related actions lately. It would be nice to see Europeans countries including Germany fighting alongside.

Why should germany give a shit about libya?

Look, in the end, it's all about getting rid of Gadaffi and his forces. If Germany doesn't want to get involved in the situation, so be it.

A Rafale just destroyed an armored carrier. First blood.

Another war, hey ho. I guess there was no way for the Libyans to settle this themselves, seeing as the rebels got their asses handed to them in the last few weeks, but it's a pretty big thing what has happened. Just two months ago a few people in Tunisia were protesting, and now western forces are bombing the Libyan army. This has moved really fast, not sure where it's gonna end.

Why should Britain, France, USA or Canada?

I don't know dude, maybe because they have oil? At the least it's a good excuse to get another muslim country under western control.

Man, if everyone would just stand back and let things happen, it'll all work itself out eventually, I think. Look at Egypt, if the rebels want it bad enough then they will take it. There is no need to spread our troops even more thin getting involved in yet another conflict.

It would be nice to see Europeans countries including Germany fighting alongside.

It would be nice to see the whole world in this mentality. A unified world would be wonderful.

Man, if everyone would just stand back and let things happen, it'll all work itself out eventually, I think. Look at Egypt, if the rebels want it bad enough then they will take it.

Wow, thats a pretty dumb thing to think.

Man, if everyone would just stand back and let things happen, it'll all work itself out eventually, I think. Look at Egypt, if the rebels want it bad enough then they will take it. There is no need to spread our troops even more thin getting involved in yet another conflict.

Yes, because good always wins out over evil in our world.

That was sarcasm.

You're forgetting that the situation in Egypt was peaceful relative to the situation in Libya. In Libya the government was outright killing and bombing civilians. Plus, we're probably not even going to get involved with ground troops and we have more than enough Air Force and Navy planes to get the job done. Between France and the UK as the main players and the U.S. as essentially a backup, I'm pretty sure we have more than enough capability. And I highly highly doubt the Libyan air force can compete with Western pilots.

Americans just started firing Tomahawk missiles nutrilising Libyan anti-air defenses. The Brits are on their way with Eurofighters.

It's being called Operation Odyssey Dawn. Seriously? It sounds like the name of a brand of low quality lube.

Apparently we've just bombed a hospital with terminally ill patients according to Libyan state TV. We're also stealing toys from children.

Then mission succeeded. It is my duty to remind people of all the stupid things we've said before.

Anyways, have there been any air-to-air battles yet? I miss the days, that I never experienced, of dogfighting.

I miss the days, that I never experienced, of dogfighting.

You weren't around for the Michael Vick saga?

images

But yeah, it would be interesting to see some dogfights.

i'd like to see o US F-22's get some action. Is the US really taking a back seat in this intervention? We finally have a GOOD reason to use our military force in a middle easter country and we are holding back? Its not like we don't have the airpower just lying around. .. Hmm not sure if that was the best way to look at the situation. Perhaps letting other nations take the lead in this we are showing that we don't have to be in control of everything.

Bravo France for taking the lead in this.

I don't follow the UN very much, but it seems that this is the first time, in my memory, that the UN has actually done something ballsy. Maybe the UN is actually good for something other than being a place where nothing ever gets done. (if I'm right, agree with me. If I'm wrong, it was a joke)

I really hope Libya gets what they want out of this (freedom and all that), and I hope they remember who kept their skies clear during their revolution.

American subs and warships fired around 110 Tomahawks ! Damn.

American subs and warships fired around 110 Tomahawks ! Damn.

The US can't take all the credit. It looks like some of those were British missiles as well. From the sound of it, 20 anti aircraft sites have been hit and military bases and vehicles have also been targeted. They have also targeted communication sites. Damn, we aren't just keeping the sky's clear, we are taking out Gaddafi's military infrastructure and means of support and communication.

This could help the rebels a lot.

Gadaffi is planning an attack on military and civilian targets around the Mediterranean Sea in retaliation. This guy doesn't seem to get the message. He's losing more and more of his followers as the United States and Britain pound the Libyan coastline with missiles.

It would be nice to see the whole world in this mentality. A unified world would be wonderful.

You see, I had the same idea. Principle of National self-determination, and whatnot. Every people deserve the government that they have, and it is only a matter of their collective will to overthrow the tyrant - if they fail, it's clear that they don't deserve freedom.

But you know, being me, I like seeing Tomahawk missiles fall on evildoers and psychopaths and their lackeys. So, bomb away.

You see, I had the same idea. Principle of National self-determination, and whatnot. Every people deserve the government that they have, and it is only a matter of their collective will to overthrow the tyrant - if they fail, it's clear that they don't deserve freedom.

But you know, being me, I like seeing Tomahawk missiles fall on evildoers and psychopaths and their lackeys. So, bomb away.

I don't think you're really considering the fact that most of the Lybian people were born under Gadaffis control. In a sense, they were born already wearing the chains, with guns pointing at them. Speaking figuratively, collective will and your national self-determination may be very strong, but literally speaking a tank will smoosh your balls, along with your collective might, all over the pavement

I don't think you're really considering the fact that most of the Lybian people were born under Gadaffis control. In a sense, they were born already wearing the chains, with guns pointing at them. Speaking figuratively, collective will and your national self-determination may be very strong, but literally speaking a tank will smoosh your balls, along with your collective might, all over the pavement

Well, I was considering that. I thought with the empowerment of the human spirit, they could simply destroy a tank with sheer willpower.

But I suppose that's the ideologue speaking in me, I'm extremely pragmatic but also driven by ideological beliefs. Realistically, those bombs falling on Gadaffi's forces are the only hope for the Libyan people.

i'd like to see o US F-22's get some action. Is the US really taking a back seat in this intervention? We finally have a GOOD reason to use our military force in a middle easter country and we are holding back? Its not like we don't have the airpower just lying around. .. Hmm not sure if that was the best way to look at the situation. Perhaps letting other nations take the lead in this we are showing that we don't have to be in control of everything.

Bravo France for taking the lead in this.

I don't follow the UN very much, but it seems that this is the first time, in my memory, that the UN has actually done something ballsy. Maybe the UN is actually good for something other than being a place where nothing ever gets done. (if I'm right, agree with me. If I'm wrong, it was a joke)

I really hope Libya gets what they want out of this (freedom and all that), and I hope they remember who kept their skies clear during their revolution.
Yeah, The UN does seem to have gotten its foot out its ass, but the only reason this was possible is because Russia and China don't give a flying **** about Libya. If this was Sudan or whatever (where China has big economic interests), the UN would be as useless as the pope's balls.

I'd love to be able to treat my country fighting a war like a game of football like ye guys do. It is a shame that Libyan pilots aren't being slaughtered just so you can enjoy the spectacle of a dogfight. It's a shame.

People are being killed for **** sake you gits.

Yeah, The UN does seem to have gotten its foot out its ass, but the only reason this was possible is because Russia and China don't give a flying **** about Libya. If this was Sudan or whatever (where China has big economic interests), the UN would be as useless as the pope's balls.

I read about China and Russia's ability to gag the UN when it comes to these things. I'm still trying to form a concrete opinion of the UN. On one hand the idea of an organization that can weild the authority to impose on another nation's sovereignty is a frightening idea. Fortunately all the conflicting motives keeps its power in check, but this also creates and issue when trying to get stuff done like humanitarian aid. I really wish out choices about the UN won't be between a controlling organization or a inept waste of time.

I'd much rather the UN be/remain a forum of discussion and a taker of occasional action by consensus.

Hasn't Gadaffi gone all sly and announced a cease-fire, so no governing body or military power can go in and take him out?

By having a cease-fire, he's basically thrown away the smoking gun because he can hear the sirens coming from over the hill.

Still doesnt explain why leaders like Mugabe and Bashir are still alive though.

People in the UK are outraged at the decision to deploy the RAF in Libya for the no-fly-zone patrols etc. ''Why risk our sons and daughters for a country that does nothing for us?'', failing to realise this is the UN's decision, not whichever Prime Minister we have today.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/20/134704978/after-u-s-allies-strike-gadhafi-vows-long-war

Apparently the Arab League is a little pissed. They asked for a no fly zone and the European and US forces have done more than that.

On Sunday, Arab League chief Amr Moussa criticized the allied strikes, saying they went beyond what the Arab body had supported.

"What happened differs from the no-fly zone objectives," Moussa told reporters in Cairo. "What we want is civilians' protection not shelling more civilians."

I can understand their frustration, but they had to see this coming. If we were going to intervene on the behalf of the rebels, then that would make an enemy out of Gaddafi. Therefore it is in the west's best interest to make sure Gaddafi does not retain his power. To help make sure that happens we will have to do more than a no-fly-zone. We've made the mistake of leaving jobs half finished and then having it come back to bite us in the ass too many times.

Agreed, if we are to take out Gadaffi we will have to bomb his mark troops, because he can crush the revolution even without his planes in the air.

The only way I support actual US military involvement in this on a combat standpoint is if it's a completely short campaign. No occupation by ground forces or anything, and no protracted length of time doing this.

Back