Alternative Game Modes

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Up until recently enough I had never bothered trying many custom maps or any gamemodes other than the officials ones. Then I saw one of my friends playing on a zombie server and I gave it a go. I'm pretty much addicted to it now.

The mode is simple, Red team are survivors, Blue are zombies. If you die you're kicked to Blue team. Blue team win when all of Red team is dead and Red team either have to survive for a timelimit or capture points (there could be payload versions, but I've not seen any payload zombie maps yet).

Blue team is restricted to Scouts, Heavies and Spies and can only use melee weapons, drinks and foods. Spies can't disguise but they can cloak and unlockables (including the Sandman & Dead Ringer) are allowed.

Red team is allowed by any of the other six classes with some slight alterations (ubercharge charges faster, buildings can't be upgraded, ammo restrictions, etc.)

There are a lot of maps of varying quality but I haven't played a single game that wasn't fun. One of the more impressive maps I've seen was a nighttime (very, very dark) and destroyed version of dustbowl where the red team had to capture all six points to win (and of course, without dying) which is very, very difficult.

The server is actually Russian but there's almost always English-speakers on it, here's the IP address:
85.21.79.225:27018

Anyone else care to share some fun/interesting modes or server mods?

I played zombie mode, it was pretty fun.

I prefer the random class/weapons mode.

Random class/weapon is awesome, iirc, the pyro with a minigun didn't slow down when you wound up the gun.

T'was chaos.

I was a scout with a minigun one time, but I got the slowdown when firing.

I reccomend Balloon Race. You and the enemy team basically have two seperate hot air balloons. You gotta stay on the wheel to keep the balloon moving fast, and you basically gotta fly it around the map to the 4 capture points, get off at each, and fight for the cap. 3 caps will win the game, but in the event of 2 caps for each team, the balloons will then race back to the spawn. I'm not putting in an IP adress. There's only like 2 servers with the map "balloon_race" or whatever it is.

Prop hunt (aka Hide and Seek) is pretty fun as well.

Prop Hunt will have you silently laughing to yourself, it's very amusing.

I tend to play a lot of Vanilla, when I get around to playing. My brother spent most of his time playing mods, though. Probably because he gets more time than me, nowadays. He introduced me to all of those above, but I haven't yet had the chance to play random weapons.

Balloon Race was interesting. It could work really well if it was worked upon. It's like a Payload map with slightly different rules, which add to it.

Zombie is also fun, while not particularly TF2-like. It seems somewhat unpolished, but can still be a lot of fun, when it's balanced and there aren't annoying bugs/exploits on maps.

I've only ever played a couple of rounds of Prop Hunt, and I wasn't fussed.

Dodgeball, on the other hand, is remarkably fun, particularly because I like playing as Pyro. It basically involves a single (but sometimes more) rocket and entire teams of pyros. The aim is to keep deflecting it until the other team is obliterated. The rocket(s) gets faster every time it's deflected, and some maps have other obstacles, too.

Back