Am I the only person on the planet that wasn't impressed by 300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamThrall

Reaction score
My wife and I agree: 300 was goofy and boring.

The movie itself was beautiful. We both loved Sin City, and even though we don't really read comic books, I we have great respect for Frank Miller's art.

We also thought that the acting was very good, especially considering that all the actors were fairly unknown. I also enjoyed the fairly gratuitous nudity :D

However, the dialogue was goofy, perhaps even borderline ridiculous, even for an action movie, and not in a "so silly its funny" way. The movie seemed to take itself too seriously for its dialogue to be comical. My wife and I both nearly had to stifle our laugher during the line that went "ready your breakfast and make it hearty, for tonight we dine in hell". It was seriously almost like watching MST3K.

The plot moved like molasses. It was like playing a poorly paced video game. Lots of action, with yawn-inducing "plot" in between.

Nobody else seems to recognize this, even friends of mine who I consider to have "good" taste in movies.

I love action movies. I love war movies. I went to the theater WANTING to love this movie. Why was I left ... wanting?

Discuss. :)

The lines were rushed and forced in some places.

But it's just goes back to the glory days. Fighting the losing battle! "Charge of the light brigade!" Kinda stuff.

Plus it's fun to watch domination. 300 guys vs 'the thousand nations of the persian army' and they only lose because they had a traitor?

I agree the lines were cheesy but it was that way in the comic. Not to mention that the movie was just so beautiful visual-wise. I hope I get to see it in IMAX this weekend. :D

no, you're not the only one. i definitely agree with everything you said.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122468
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122468

No you're not

Not to mention that the movie was just so beautiful visual-wise.

You've got to be f****** kidding me! Watching it was a pain on the eyes. Exclusively brown shades in the day time and blue colors in the night, extreme contrast and excessive glow bleah.... These sort of "effects" look horrible in games and they sure as hell look even worse in movies.

And on a side note Sin City mops the floor with 300

They kicked me out of the theater! I had my mother there to buy my ticket, and vogue for me that I'm 17, but they wanted a copy of my birth certificate. :hmph: All my friends enjoyed it immensely, though.

It was an entertaining and adrenaline pumped film.

I enjoyed it thoroughly.
The cheesy dialogue made me like it even more, reminded me of those corny one-liners from movies like Army of Darkness.

They wanted a copy of your birth certificate...

wtf.

It was an alright movie. i thought it was great. i wasn't 'impressed' i did go' wow' a few times though.

I thought was great for what it aimed to be, a mindless action movie. Maybe its a sign I spend too much time on the computer, but its people on the internet quoting the movie over and over that are killing it for me.

I think most recent American films would be better if they were shown via MST3k. Less cheese, more funny.

If you didn't like 300.......

You are not badass.

I didn't enjoy it at all. Pretty average flick. I still maintain sheer badassery though.

It was an alright movie. i thought it was great. i wasn't 'impressed' i did go' wow' a few times though.

Not computing.

I didn't enjoy it at all. Pretty average flick. I still maintain sheer badassery though.
Obviously you fake your badassery. If you did not come out of that movie feeling like you wanted to kick someones ass then you have no badass inside you. If you came out of the movie feeling that, but thought the movie was average you are faking your badassness.

I don't make up the laws of badassness, only share them with others.

LOL... you're making two contradictory statements about the same thing. Repeating yourself doesn't make it make any more sense...

There is nothing wrong with the movie, only with the people watching it.

If it did not impress you, you're standards are obviously scraping the atmoshpere.

There is nothing wrong with the movie, only with the people watching it.

If it did not impress you, you're standards are obviously scraping the atmoshpere.

Mine scrape the atmosphere and I thought the movie was awesome...

Theirs must be on the moon.

there was some stuff in the move that was dumb as hell. but over all.. and the second time i saw it, i liked it alot more.

I'd just like to point out that many of the lines which you found cheesy were actually said at Thermoylae if I'm not wrong.

"For tonight we dine in Hades" and "So much the better, we shall fight in the shade", for example, are actual quotes.

Just goes to show how awesome the Spartans actually were.

If you want a really good story about thermopylae, read Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. Im seeing 300 this thursday when it comes out here(NZ) but i know i won't be disappointed. 300 for mindless violence, Gates of Fire for great characters,historical accuracy(to an extent) and a real idea of what Spartan life was like.

Also, hi, im new here :D

I liked it... what's the big deal?

...but yeah, i can understand what you mean about the lines... they are kinda cheesy...

btw...
..."this is madness...-"

"THIS IS SPAAAARTAA!!!"

:LOL:

My wife and I agree: 300 was goofy and boring.

The movie itself was beautiful. We both loved Sin City, and even though we don't really read comic books, I we have great respect for Frank Miller's art.

We also thought that the acting was very good, especially considering that all the actors were fairly unknown. I also enjoyed the fairly gratuitous nudity :D

However, the dialogue was goofy, perhaps even borderline ridiculous, even for an action movie, and not in a "so silly its funny" way. The movie seemed to take itself too seriously for its dialogue to be comical. My wife and I both nearly had to stifle our laugher during the line that went "ready your breakfast and make it hearty, for tonight we dine in hell". It was seriously almost like watching MST3K.

The plot moved like molasses. It was like playing a poorly paced video game. Lots of action, with yawn-inducing "plot" in between.

Nobody else seems to recognize this, even friends of mine who I consider to have "good" taste in movies.

I love action movies. I love war movies. I went to the theater WANTING to love this movie. Why was I left ... wanting?

Discuss. :)
I don't think it was anything special, but I wouldn't say it was boring either. It was a decent action flick - 6.5/10.

Don't worry, opportunities for manliness will come again. ;)

Am I the only person on the planet that wasn't impressed by 300?

No...

Action was repetitive imo. Watch one of the battle scenes, watch them all :\

Fun movie. Not a good one by far, but entertaining nonetheless.

it seems extremely lame to me. Way overdone, extremely cheezy.

I haven't seen it yet though, so don't take my opinion seriously.

I didn't like it much either. Aside from the fact that the whole thing looked like a perfume commercial. The entire film was in slow-mo practically. And the redundant dialogue sigh... Then there's all the historical inaccuracies.

I didn't like it much either. Aside from the fact that the whole thing looked like a perfume commercial. The entire film was in slow-mo practically. And the redundant dialogue sigh... Then there's all the historical inaccuracies.

Inaccuracies?!? Do you know ANYTHING?!

Giant elephants WERE employed by the Persians, Mutant Muscle Monsters were created to fight solely for the Persian Empire, and an army of 300 only wore cloth as armor because that 6 pack they have is more protective than iron.

300 is a movie that takes it's cock out, stabs it into your eye, and ejaculates straight testosterone into your now bloody eye socket.

...historical inaccuracies? Seriously?

I thought it was fantastic, and took it for what it was. Just as the comic did with drawings, the movie takes a very simple, but very epic story and puts it on the screen. There is no moral ambiguity, no intrigue. Its a simple story in the vein of all the old greek epics and I thought it was pulled off very well.

ahh i was going to see it but ive been put off now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back