any decent rpgs whit more original settings?(no elfs and dwars and shit)

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
I am getting kind of tired seeing elfs and stuff like that on almost any western style rpg

even though the witcher was good it was tiring to see the elfes and dwars,elfs and dwars over and over,is not like they can create more races atleast?

though yeah the witcher got good mythology and such but yeah I beated it so when I see at about looking to buy other western rpg I still see same old elfs and dwars and tipical medieval stuff like if there wasnt any other culture whit mythical creatures out there

thats why I got a interest in jade empire cuz is in a chinese

so is there any other decent western style rpg whit more original settings that I dont know of?

futuristic and other setting can count too but those sure would end up in some "star trek" like style right? and since I dont see any kotor around except for 2 which is not supposed to be that good

free asians mmo dont count,also japanese rpgs dont count since those are not on pc

fallout
mass effect
deus ex
kotor
stalker

that's all i really know. I have to agree with <RJMC> tho I too am sick of the generic fantasy sword and elves crap.
There doesn't seem to be many series out there that cater beyond it tho :(

Would fallout count as an RPG or is it more of a first person shooter?

Fallout New Vegas, you'll need some time to get into the game and there WILL be quite some bugs, but you do get an extremely open-ended RPG that really makes your choices matter.
(the Fallout series 'introduced' me to post-apocalyptic games, don't know if you played any of them)

oh yeah all those I already know and I mentioned kotor

I'm assuming you are familiar with it, but just to remind you, The Elder Scrolls has some unique races: Kajhiit (a cat-like race), Argonian (a lizard-like race). They also have the Dark Elf, High Elf, Breton and Redguard, but they are all human-like.

NPCs include minotaurs, ogres, trolls, and others like these guys (can't remember their name).

I like the idea of the Kajhiit, but I'm personally not a fan of the artwork - how they are represented in the game. The Argonian is pretty awesome looking, especially as a caster (mage), because they look cool in the robes in my opinion. I thought they look absolutely wicked in closed helmets, but you may need a mod to do that in some games in the series.

qdJZe.jpg

I can't find a screenshot of my favorite Argonian - the mages guild leader of Chorrol.

There are a lot of race mods for the Elder Scrolls, but most of them aren't that far removed.

I do agree though, that it would be great to see more unique races in games. The thought has got me very interested in seeing more.

Oh wait, I just recommended Dn'D and that has elves and shit

Just be a dick in that game:
Dead Phil grabs hold of the cup of tranquility,
RJMC kicks the cup out of his hand,
Dead Phil says "What the **** dude?"
RJMC says "U Mad BRO?

That is how to play Dn'D

is not just the races is the whole setting and ambiance

I rmenber I saw a comentary in kotaku of someone saying the greek mythology could be good for a game of this kind,and is not that foreign to not scare racists away:p

and since I dont see any kotor around except for 2 which is not supposed to be that good

You can get KotOR on Steam, and KotOR 2 is buggy, but good.

Speaking of buggy, I would recommend Vampires: The Masquerade or Alpha Protocol.

Echo Bazaar

Imagine an exaggerated Victorian London fell underground, and its inhabitants proceeded with their lives as normal. Obviously, fantastical stuff comes included, but it's definitely not generic fantasy rpg lore. Gameplay is turnbased (it's practically a text adventure) and it sort of suffers as an RPG from having very few of your choices be committal and even fewer having a meaningful impact on your game or character, but the setting and writing are clever, unique, and funny, and based on your request that may concern you more than gameplay.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

is not just the races is the whole setting and ambiance

I rmenber I saw a comentary in kotaku of someone saying the greek mythology could be good for a game of this kind,and is not that foreign to not scare racists away:p

The third one felt like it had more of a tribal feel but 4th one was straight up medieval german village.

penny arcade had a different vibe but it sort of sucks, especially at that price, so id say Planescape

Risen has a fantasy setting, but I felt like it was quite a bit less generic than most. There are no elves or dwarves (actually, the characters are all human except for some ogres), and most of the enemy creatures are little more imaginative; ostrich things, huge moths, living moss people, lizard men, huge ash gorillas. It might not sound like much, but it goes a long way toward making it feel like you don't know what to expect when you're exploring the island. Also, the ambiance is a bit different than you see in most fantasy worlds. If stereotypical fantasy can be considered to be based on medieval England, Risen is a lot more inspired by Spain. That also sounds like a minor difference, but the way it influences the music, scenery, architecture, and themes really make it feel more unique.

Morrowind is pretty far from generic fantasy, don't let Oblivion fool you. Morrowind is a bizarre and interesting place that has no real world creatures to be found at all (except, for some reason, rats) and really cool scenery. I don't know why they decided to ditch all their creativity when Oblivion came around, but they did.

Vampire: The Masquerade is also a great recommendation. So is Planescape: Torment; I'm not even sure where to begin describing that one.

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are the best recent non-fantasy role playing games, in my opinion.

Mass Effect is rpg-ish. I would call it an interactive action movie rather than a proper role playing game, but it's really good.

If you're getting Vampire prepare for a bug-fest of wonderful crashes and spills.

Mount & Blade.
It's more or less a medieval RPG, no fantasy elements whatsoever.

Arcanum, doesn't get more original than that.
It's basically a fantasy world that's going through an industrial revolution.
Guns, airships, and other steampunk goodies are fairly common place.
Only thing is, the combat kind of sucks when using anything but melee weapons.

Also, don't pass on KOTOR2!
You're missing out on an amazing RPG experience, sure it's a bit unfinished towards the end but it's entirely worth playing through.

I read that the vampires game dont run well on vista,is true or some of those unoficial patchs solve it?

Make sure to pick up Planescape Torment (one of your party members is a floating skull for god's sake) and KOTOR 1 and 2. Thone of darkness is a pretty sweet japanese hack and slash game which allows you to control a small party.

I think Wesp's VTM patch is up to 7.3 now, if I'm not mistaken. But yeah, VTM is an awesome recommendation.

Fallout New Vegas is the best recent non-fantasy role playing game, in my opinion.

Agreed.

As mentioned above, Vampire is a great choice, especially since now you can make use of the fantastic unofficial patch, that also restores cut content. Another great game is KOTOR2, especially since Team Gizka's restoration patch leaked a while back at 99% completion and... Well, it's awesome. Really restores a lot of content, most of it completely seamlessly.

Arcanum would be a great choice too. Granted, it still has elves and dwarves, but the setting and the way its characters are implemented, not to mention the absolute freedom of roleplaying (and I mean actual roleplaying, not play-pretend like in Oblivion or Fallout 3) and versatility of the character system. And writing. Oh God, the writing. On par with Obsidian's.

Next is Alpha Protocol. It is a bit on the linear side and lacks a lot of polish in the technical department. But if you want a game with great writing, fantastic characters and absolutely stunning roleplaying possibilities. Asshole Thorton eats Renegade Shepard for breakfast. Some feats below:

Killing a teenage mute girl and later gloating about it in the most horrible fashion horrible. Shooting your love interest in the face. Beating an elderly man into submission with a bottle of Jack Daniels. It's great.

Also, Planescape: Torment is awesome. Not playing it is a crime.

Relevant to PS:T (spoilered for size):
Planescape_Engagement_by_Rzepik.jpg

Planescape_Engagement_2_by_Rzepik.jpg

Lol! "Elves and dwarves and shit" is my dismissing phrase for fantasy RPGs too. Now if I could just get you to spell "with" correctly ...

Ok... I'm going to be the one to dare to say it.

"Final Fantasy"

It may not fit everyone's idea of 'decent', it may not even fit everyone's idea of an 'RPG', but the series does have the appeal of being completely outside the cliche of Western, LOTR rip-off fantasy. The most popular ones (arguably the best) are quite intricate mixes of Science Fiction and Fantasy (6 and 7. True of 8, 10 and 12, but ugh). At any rate, these are games that appeal to a western audience because they appear to be doing something different, at least until the point where you realise that they're all selling the same kind of 'different'. But it'll work on your for a while.

Soft spot too for Yasumi Matsuno's late 90s developments: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. Ok, so the first two are Strategy RPGs and the later is a strange mix (also: all very dated), but setting wise, they take the same starting point of 'cliche' High Fantasy (basically, a Medieval setting) and take it somewhere different. Oh and all three are very much easily available, so long as you have a PSP, and why the hell would you?

Protip: Everything is on PC.

Back