Anybody feel like going 24 hours with no sleep or food?

Dan

Tank
Reaction score
Title sums it up. I just felt like doing this to give it a try. I feel like it might be a good exercise of willpower and maybe shake up the routine a little bit.

I am shooting for next Tuesday/Wednesday. Monday is not an option, but maybe if you're single it would be a good day.

I will lay out some guidelines:
  • no sleeping
  • no eating
  • water is okay, milk, juice and beer is not
  • don't try it if it will affect your health (diabetes) or cause psychological harm (depression)
  • participants are encouraged to post results/thoughts during or after.
  • excessive masturbation is discouraged
  • feel free to add on other creative activities such as painting, ice skating, walking around town at 3am, building Calvinesque snowmen in other peoples' yards in the middle of the night, or any other thing that you think would be fun or cool but have been too lazy to do.

As a hardcore gamer, sometimes I come near to the above requirements by happenstance at times.

Honestly, it becomes routine and just another day /shrug

I've gone twenty four hours without sleep. I simply could not think by the end of it. My brain had shut down.

Yeah the sleep part isn't so hard, but starving.. No thanks.

I'd love to game for 24 hours straight. With food.

EDIT: and fapping

Title sums it up. I just felt like doing this to give it a try. I feel like it might be a good exercise of willpower and maybe shake up the routine a little bit.

I am shooting for next Tuesday/Wednesday. Monday is not an option, but maybe if you're single it would be a good day.

Sounds interesting, I'll think about doing it. Maybe I'll read the entirety of Necronomicon during the day

I've done both seperately before but they weren't fun. No thanks.

I've done a 24 hour fast before, and once got too about 18 hours without sleep before giving up. Both suck.

Both are bad for your body, why bother?

Exercise willpower in a different way.

I'd do the 24 hour fast...that sort of thing can actually be good for you. Depriving yourself of sleep, however, is not. My brain would break.

Good for you how? It impacts your metabolism and has other negative effects on your body.

I believe I've done both, though nowadays it's physically more difficult to pull off not-sleeping. I'd probably just fall asleep against my will.

Not eating is not too difficult, though it really isn't good. If I reduce eating for a day, that tends to propagate itself -- like I'll have spans of several days where I only feel like eating one meal per day. I only skip meals if I'm working straight through (writing a paper or stuck in lab), or if I get home and it's 9 or 10 pm and I'm too tired to cook anything. Even then I try to heat up a can of soup or microwave something.

So -- I won't intentionally join in either.

**** that.
I stay awake for about 13-15 hours a day and that's more than enough for me.

I could never be awake for an entire 24 hours, I tried it once and I ended up feeling completely drugged out of my skull and incredibly sick overall after 19 or so hours.

Hey what the hell man, why'd you change it :(

Oh sure, I'd love to play Arma 2 for 24 hours(with a suitably-sized mission that takes 30 minutes to load), but I don't think we could get enough players together who want that.

I did the 24 hours without sleep thing several times. Its not that bad honestly. I was still able to function perfectly, I was just tired feeling. The reason was because I went to a college that has classes running 24 hours 7 days a week. There would be months where I'd have a class start at like 5pm, and end at 1am the next day, with the next class starting at 9am, and ending at 1 pm, with the first class about to start again in 4 hours at 5pm. I slept as much as I could during the off time, but the reason why I did 24 hour waking periods was because the classes changed every month, and so did our schedules. So at the end of the month, I'd check what time our next class would start, subtract 8 hours for sleeping time, and then stay awake for 24 hours before the time I wanted to sleep. For example, if I had a class starting Monday at 1pm, I would subtract 8 hours to determine when I'd go to sleep to be ready for that class, so that would be 5am. So the Sunday beforehand, I would wake myself up at 5am, and stay awake until ~5am Monday where I'd fall asleep for sure, thus reseting my sleeping schedule to be in-tune with my new classes.

The food thing, I've probably done accidentally as well. I usually don't eat breakfast, and only sometimes eat lunch, so there have been times where I didn't eat either, and for some reason was indisposed during dinner time and so I didn't eat that either. I'd wake up the next morning and feel weak as a mother****er. Your arms feel like they wouldn't be able to like a 20 pound box if your life depended on it.

In my younger days I used to party to the point where I wouldn't sleep for over 24 hours and did so fairly often. I can't really remember if drugs were usually involved. But usually if I did that I would sleep for almost an entire day. Would go something like this: wake up around 6 am Friday, go to work, after work party till as late as noonish on Saturday, crash out, and not wake up until Sunday morning.

Would love to say fun times but actually looking back it was pretty ****ing dumb.

One of the big kids/teen/whatever charity events that swing around ever year here is the 30 Hour Famine. We'd usually stay up the whole time as well.

I have a really high metabolism, I'd probably pass out if I didn't eat for 24 hours.

I've stayed awake much longer than 24 hours though. When I was younger (early teens sometime) I tried staying up for as long as possible and got somewhere between 48 and 72 hours, although I'm not sure exactly how long (probably 50-55 hours or so). It was extremely unpleasant by the end. After 24 hours you get really tired, zoned out and zombified and it's hard to concentrate, focus or really be intellectually invested in anything. By 48 hours though it's a whole other deal, you're practically in a trance. Mild to moderate hallucinations, mostly audio ones but also some pronounced visual distortion. Really weird deja vu kind of feeling like you're in a waking dream. Nothing about it is fun, I don't recommend it.

Um, maybe I'm a special case, but I've done these pretty easily.

I've gone over 24 hours without food. If you keep busy, you won't even notice it.

I've gone over 24 hours without food. If you keep busy, you won't even notice it.

Hell no, despite how good the game is I can never play TF2 for longer than 2 hours without my brain screaming for chocolate/crisps.

I went a full 3 days a month ago but I was taking adderall so that might be cheating. I ate barely anything and was seeing little flickers of light in the corners of my eyes. I also had a feeling that I had 2 personalities, as if somebody was talking to me. Objects tend to appear to move like curtains in a slight breeze.

Guys, he said no excessive wanking.

That means no more than 10 wanks. 12 tops.

I've done this already, try Cataclysm launch.

I'm actually really used to this routine at times. Usually Thursdays, I get up for work at 5am get to work which starts at 7am. I then get off work at 7:30pm, then head straight to the fire department that I volunteer at once a week. I work there from 6pm to 6am, and honestly I mostly just eat one true meal the whole day with the occasional snack & gallons of water I consume all day. Honestly if you keep busy enough like I do, you forget meals a lot.

I think with just water I'd be just fine. At the fire department overnight I usually never sleep either, we're a busy department. But even on slow nights I'm usually the one up watching movies, or hovering over my laptop.

I've done 24 hours without sleep enough times to know I don't want to do it again intentionally. If it was just feeling tired it wouldn't be so bad but it's that ill feeling that comes with it. I could probably go without food too as I don't usually eat much anyway.

I probably could do it, but I'm slightly hungover at the moment and couldn't bear the thought.

I keep thinking it is a crazy idea but on the other hand it seems like a worthy self challenge, will power, discipline
without food or water you have no chance, water yes you can make it.
I would suggest looking at tv for most of the time or to the computer. you know you can't go to sleep after doing that, it's hard too, play games also and you will forget about eating. thats all

good luck

I really think this would damage your willpower as after you would probably stuff yourself and sleep for who knows how long.

One of the big kids/teen/whatever charity events that swing around ever year here is the 30 Hour Famine. We'd usually stay up the whole time as well.

You get to drink fruit juice to keep your blood sugar up though, not sure how well it would go with only water.

Just as coincidence, I went about 22 hours sleepless tonight. Gonna crash like hell when I get home from school.

Did this a couple weeks ago - can be very refreshing. Also had to do this fasting for Passover when I was a younger and more observant Jew.

Back