Anyone getting Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword?

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
Watched roomie play the original one that came out...it looked so damn bad. Even if this is better, I can't get the crappy version out of my head enough to think of this one.

Held off on getting Warband so I'm definitely going to get this.
Seems like more of a sequel than Warband was so I feel that justifies buying it in itself.

This is at the top of my list, I've sunk many hours into Warband and I love the idea if the series.

Watched roomie play the original one that came out...it looked so damn bad. Even if this is better, I can't get the crappy version out of my head enough to think of this one.

Mount & Blade was one of the best games ever released.

I'm not buying another Mount & Blade game until theres significant updates. Warband was a decent expansion, but the engine and the core gameplay need an overhaul for me to buy another installment. The gameplay already there is great, and unlike anything else available in other games, but I already have it in both the original and Warband. The animations and controls just feel so old now.

@ Pitz, watching the game sucks. You shouldn't have done that. If you played it you would have a different opinion probably, because it was really satisfying when you got a solid hit on someone, because it took a decent amount of skill, especially for ranged weapons. Shooting a dude in the face with an arrow while he's charging towards you on horseback with a couched lance is one of the most "f*ck yea!" moments ever.

I know exactly what you mean, Krynn. However, I love games that explore eras that aren't as popular. Medieval is everywhere, WWII is everywhere, so it's nice to see something else. Plus there seems to be enough new content for $13.50, so meh.

Key Features

-A storyline based on the cult novel from Nobel-prize winner author Henry Sienkiewicz.
-A new century of warfare that brings pistols, muskets, grenades, and other advanced weaponry to the battlefield.
-Fully customizable armies; players can outfit their soldiers with each piece of weaponry & armor.
-Additional quest types. More political intrigue with colorful factions. More adventure in a new land.
-New economic system, which includes village / town development, a banking system, & new trade options. Players will have the opportunity to loan money, keep money on deposit, and arrange caravans.
-Multiple endings to sustain player's interest and increase replayability.
-Deeply researched historical component encompassing every aspect of the game's assets.
-Ferocious new multiplayer action, bringing players the thrill of pitting old technology against the looming threat of firearms.

Detailed Features:

-3 Main Story-driven questlines for the player to delve into once they've become known in a particular faction.
-Additional quest types.
-Implementation of firearms, adds a whole new layer of strategic depth to the franchise's proven combat model.
-New Siege options to choose before besieging a town or castle.
-New Multiplayer Maps(see below) and New multiplayer mode, “Captain Mode”.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Another Mount and Blade to consume my life? I am seriously afraid to buy it... I put in 60 hours in it in like a week. I only stopped playing out of sheer frustration because I kept failing and having to rebuild my army from scratch. It will be interesting with a story... not sure if that will help or hinder. I'm also concerned about how well gunpowder weapons will fit in that melee world...

I read the description of this on Steam today and was shocked at the poor grammar present throughout... definitely did -not- convince me to consider it!

I read the description of this on Steam today and was shocked at the poor grammar present throughout... definitely did -not- convince me to consider it!

That is pretty bad... granted they are Turkish so I assume English isn't their strong point - I figure they could find SOMEONE willing to grammar check before they make something public...

I am unsure myself.

I only ever played one campaign game in MnB:Warband, mind you it was around 45 hours total.

But I haven't been able to find the time or motivation to pick it up since, so I am unsure about buying this.

The inclusion of a rich storyline might definitely change my mind though.

God damn, I can't stop laughing at this trailer. It has the SAME stupid ****ing music. And at 0:30 he just shoots a guy standing there, thinking about his life, RIGHT IN THE FACE.

I cannot wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_02fFEh-9E&feature=player_embedded

Wow why is everyone just standing there as they get chopped down? I remember the AI reacting a LOT faster in Warband. You couldn't just kind of run at them and cut their faces off. I guess getting people to write ambient battle music is hard to do these days...

and I was just starting on warband,my wallet is hating me

also anyone play online warband?

I'm not sure I'll buy it because the quests are beyond shit and I usually get bored. It depends how much it costs.

I'm not sure I'll buy it because the quests are beyond shit and I usually get bored. It depends how much it costs.

If you did that little mod that made herding cows less impossible they weren't so bad. Most of the time it just involved going somewhere and killing something. The only other bad ones was clearing those camps since once you were inside them, the enemies would randomly spawn as you killed them on the opposite side of the map.

Some of the quests were horrible even with mods. Rounding up peasants was a nightmare, and delivering/extracting payment was a huge bore. I generally just tried to amass a decent-sized army and wander around taking on raiding parties. Sieges weren't really my thing either. :v

Multiplayer's fun until you realise that every other player is a ****ing jedi compared to you.

Some of the quests were horrible even with mods. Rounding up peasants was a nightmare, and delivering/extracting payment was a huge bore. I generally just tried to amass a decent-sized army and wander around taking on raiding parties. Sieges weren't really my thing either. :v

Multiplayer's fun until you realise that every other player is a ****ing jedi compared to you.

Yeah I guess some of them were kind of forgettable. I enjoyed multiplayer for a while and got fairly decent at it. It was basically CS with swords. The problem was that it would come down to milliseconds of hit recognition and ridiculous movement. Then there would be times when no matter what you did, you'd get your ass kicked.

I didn't mind any of that really. I liked that you had to travel from town to town to garner troops, and the quests with money were easy enough so long as the lords weren't bouncing all over the place. Sieges were definitely my thing though.

Multiplayer sucked right off the bat I thought. The only reason people were ****ing jedi compared to you is because they all used ****ing Pikes/halberds. Those things were way to ****ing fast and easy to use considering their reach.

I didn't really find that with multi, actually I tended to have the most luck with curved swords on foot (sometimes long axes). The servers I played on just happened to have a bunch of people who'd been in the beta and knew exactly how to maneuver in combat. There was one guy in particular who, in a 32 player match, could be the last man standing for every round on a map sometimes, and it's not like he was just holding back until the ranks were thinned out either.

I'm not buying another Mount & Blade game until theres significant updates. Warband was a decent expansion, but the engine and the core gameplay need an overhaul for me to buy another installment. The gameplay already there is great, and unlike anything else available in other games, but I already have it in both the original and Warband. The animations and controls just feel so old now.

@ Pitz, watching the game sucks. You shouldn't have done that. If you played it you would have a different opinion probably, because it was really satisfying when you got a solid hit on someone, because it took a decent amount of skill, especially for ranged weapons. Shooting a dude in the face with an arrow while he's charging towards you on horseback with a couched lance is one of the most "f*ck yea!" moments ever.

Yeah love me some M&B:WB, but have to agree what I'm after is something that retains the core game play but is graphically superior and a hell of a lot of polish. Ordinarily I'm not an out and out graphics whore, but that franchise is begging for the AAA treatment. I hope Paradox pour some significant money into their next game tbh.

From the reviews I've watched and the little I've played, the game is very different because of firearms. It seems pretty much any veteran who has dumped 50+ hours into Warband will hate Fire and Sword; At least for a long time, until mods come out, or until they understand it is not just Warband with an additional arbitrary ranged weapon. Getting hit with one bullet pretty much means you're ****ed. It seems anyone looking to get into Fire and Sword has to prepare them self for a totally different strategy, because this is not Warband, and you will die. At the moment it is pretty much necessary to reduce the damage you take by 1/2 in the options menu.

Personally I think it's kind of cool because firearms did make everyone rethink their strategy once they were introduced. You cannot just charge into battle the same way you did in Warband, and you cannot play hero and take on 15 bandits on your own, like in Warband. One of those bandits will just shoot you.

On the other hand, it really puts emphasis on more group skills because of this. It also requires you to vary your soldier type. Musket men are necessary but get slaughtered once the sword wielding folk reach their position and vice versa. So melee weapons are still very important.

Hmm, if it changes things up that much, maybe I will check it out after all. Gotta get the money for it though, since I need to get LA Noire and Witcher 2.

I put in two hours today and personally like it a little more than Warband so far, it's simply a different taste; some people like it, most people don't. I'll see how it stands up after 15 or so hours, but I find myself playing it more frequently than I did Warband (I think I played 15 hours of Warband in total). I liked Warband and all, but I felt like 60% of my time was spent training in the arena.

Some things to note-

-There is new music, along with the old. Some pretty good stuff.
-The textures and various graphics are well improved at their higher settings, certainly an improvement on environments.
-I think arenas were totally removed, which is fine. Since you are given a gun immediately, you'll be able to take out small group bandits while on a horse even at lower levels.
-Stuff seems more expensive.

How in the hell do you face off against an army of gun wielders? Arrows are one thing, but riding around as a general against those muskets must be a nightmare.

You don't charge directly at them. It is no doubt harder, but in my opinion it's far more exciting. (I have yet to face off against an army, I cant imagine how hard that is) Leadership and well equipped men actually means something in this game.

It's important to have a variation of mercenaries; musketmen, pikemen, dudes with swords and axes that charge into fire. I would be no where without my party in the game. What I do as a general is I ride forth ahead of my men, but split over to the right or left (depending on where the enemy is coming) and ride far out of their sight as my men and the enemy exchange fire with muskets (Usually the first thing that happens). Then I come riding back, from behind the enemy, and take out a few of their musketmen with my pistol and sword. Anyone without a gun, or anyone deserting I chase down and try to club so I can take them prisoner and sell them. This can change obviously, if the enemy is all or mostly melee, it's just a standard slaughter fest.

Edit: Also, there are A LOT of options in the menu that allow you to mess with the game's difficulty in various ways.

What are the power levels of the firearms? Are they like... in the Arquebus/early pistol stages, or later on with muskets and more powerful gunpowder arms in general.

Because I think it'd be awesome being in the arquebusier days where your heavy metal armor would stand a fair chance against the balls. Back in the day, armor was proof tested against an arquebus and so when selecting it you could see that it passed the test. Although, that was for longer range. Close range it could still punch through.

I wonder if it's as fun as this mod looks(even though I hate this era in warfare). And this came out before fire and sword? 222 player battles sounds ****ing epic. I think I might buy mount & blade with fire and sword. EDIT: Yep. Just bought it. What the hell, I may want to play it later on down the line. Sounds fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlUFLo-0xA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0RA9ALOJFs

The game is buggy as ****. My soldiers don't get any training despite me having points in trainer, studying the trade market only ever gives me results for stuff that the town doesn't even have, and its always about Velvet and Spice for some reason, saying I could sell them for a 300+ thaler profit. I also can't seem to find salt ANYWHERE. I've checked like 50+ towns and cities from all over the place and nobody has salt.

I also don't like how they removed the background story generation aspect, removed the ability to play a female character, and force you through the tutorial with each character. I also hate the names of places, as they're impossible for an English speaker to pronounce, making them hard for me to remember where I have to go, and some of them have very very similar names which means I end up going to the wrong place on accident. I love the way the guns change up the gameplay, and its awesome seeing lines of muskets shooting and seeing waves of people drop on the other side, but these small things and bugs irk me to no end, and I'm not sure I can keep playing until theres patches and mods to fix them. In fact, I might just try and see if theres any firearm mods for Warband that I can get, since that'd be perfect.

Why the **** isn't a demo out on Steam yet?

I agree with Krynn in terms of the problems, for the most part, this is just my "trying it out" run through since the game is so buggy vanilla. (I also cannot find salt anywhere lol) But my god, I just joined some Mercenaries and went on a siege with an army and it was so much fun.

I really want to get into a huge line battle, but I get getting my forces decimated by either being too agressive, thinking I can take on a larger force, or by making stupid mistakes, like clicking on 'surrender' instead of 'fight' because I'm a god damn idiot like that. They should put a "are you sure?" thing after you hit surrender. They should also put some information about the force you're talking to in the dialog screen. I got destroyed once because I wasn't paying attention on the map, and suddenly I've got some dude telling me to pay him or else, but I didn't realize he outnumbered me almost 3:1 so I fought back. If I had known the size of his force I'd have just paid him. I've restarted three times now because I keep ruining myself.

Oh, and I think the penalties for getting captured have been increased since Warband. In all the other games usually they take a good chunk of cash, and some random items from your inventory. But this one seems to devastate me every time, like twice I've been robbed of my horse, and all my weapons, making me extremely vulnerable while traveling the map (to the point where I had to restart because I was attacked and captured three god damn times in a row while trying to make it to a city to refit).

Why would you make a mod that brutally decreases your visibility when the AI can see through it just fine...

Back