Aperture Science Keyboards: Coincidence? I think not.

ChazFox

Reaction score
Alright guys, I just found a sweet little easter egg.

After you've escaped behind the scenes, you'll notice a few computers and keyboards kicking about the place. Notice something odd about the keys on the keyboard? Some of them are yellow. I cross referenced my keyboard, and the letters that are highlighted are:

E, R, I, P, A, S, D, H, and N. Notice anything weird? Those are all the letters in the name Adrian Shepard. Either there is indeed something to do with ASHPD, or this is just the folks behind portal making a joke about the misconception of ASHPD to be Adrian Shepherd.

Whoo! I found an easter egg XD

Heh, I e-mailed Gabe about it, out of all people he'll know. I wonder if I'm the first player to find that easter egg. I tried searching for Portal Easter Eggs but nothing showed up involving the keyboards.

it was only released yesterday lol. im sure more will pop up

Its probably a false trail. I think at one stage the initials on one of the Aperture Science signs basically read A Shpd and ofc it got implied that maybe the guy(Who was changed to a girl) was our friend Adrian.

Id say Valve are just having a laugh :)

Still, it's fun to have found a possible easter egg. The yellow keys definitely spell out Adrian Shepard's name :p

Major apologies for the double post but thought I'd update. I commented about the keyboard easter egg on the ND forums and Jeep replied, saying

Jeep said:
Of all the comments I've read, you're the first to catch that.

If you don't believe me go check over on the ND forums in the "Release" topic :)

PortalKeyboard.png

Looking at this, and comparing it with a QWERTY layout (Yellow keys in bold)
QWERTYUIOP
ASDFGHJKL
ZXCVBNM

This screenshot was taken in the room with GLaDOS but there's keyboards in other places.

Definitely a reference to our friend Shepherd!

Yes, I thought it was an extremely clever reference, and I can't believe I found it first xD (note that by "found it" I mean that I not only noticed something up with the letters, I was also able to make a link between the letters and the intended easter egg, and for the record I had no idea that kupoartist had taken note of these letters as well. I just decided to post here because I couldn't get into the steam forums (as always. Steam only need to get more servers and after that they're 100% in my good books :p))

Alright guys, I just found a sweet little easter egg.

After you've escaped behind the scenes, you'll notice a few computers and keyboards kicking about the place. Notice something odd about the keys on the keyboard? Some of them are yellow. I cross referenced my keyboard, and the letters that are highlighted are:

E, R, I, P, A, S, D, H, and N. Notice anything weird? Those are all the letters in the name Adrian Shepard. Either there is indeed something to do with ASHPD, or this is just the folks behind portal making a joke about the misconception of ASHPD to be Adrian Shepherd.

Whoo! I found an easter egg XD
Good catch :thumbs:

I noticed the letters and tried to puzzle it for a minute or two, but at 3 AM I couldn't make any of it so I moved on.... nice that you found out what it meant :D

I hope this means Opposing Force 2 will be bundled with Episode 3! :bounce:

E, R, I, P, A, S, D, H, and N.

.... now trying permutations...

... found ...

H A R D P E N I S

... continuing ...

You guys have way too much time on your hands, but good find.

Lol naveed.

E, R, I, P, A, S, D, H, and N.

.... now trying permutations...

... found ...

H A R D P E N I S

... continuing ...
hahaha jesus christ, that is too awesome.

Send that one to Gabe too, would you? Might get someone a promotion.

Nice find, I don't think it's has any significance but it's a cool reference to Adrian nonetheless.

Adrian has to come back. Valve has been teasing the faithful for so long that it would be a crime if they tossed him into the bin.

Anyone also think that ASHPD sorta/kinda sounds like Adrian SHePharD?

I'd like to see Shephard again, but he wasn't Valve's creation, correct? I think it's meant to spell something else (and probably not hardpenis, although that's pretty funny.

"... I will convey you to a place where you can do no harm, and where no harm can come to you." - Gman to Cpl. Shephard.

Maybe that place is Aperture Science Labs?

Catalyst said:
"...where no harm can come to you"
*points wordlessly to turrets, toxic water, and fire pits*

edit - also,
Catalyst said:
"...where you can do no harm..."
*points equally wordlessly to ginormous explosion at the end with GLaDOS bits lying around*

*points wordlessly to turrets, toxic water, and fire pits*

edit - also,

*points equally wordlessly to ginormous explosion at the end with GLaDOS bits lying around*
Rofl. This post is full of win.

Yeah, Adrian was a Gearbox creation I believe.

As far as I can *remember*, there are no plans to even bring Adrian back.

Personally, I'm fine with him being a one-hit wonder.

I do want my Barnacle Gun back, however >_<

Who cares if he was a Gearbox creation? Valve owns the IP, so they're free to rape and pillage whatever Gearbox contributed. And the only word on him is that Gabe liked the character and was interested.

Cool so the keyboard letters do mean something (pretty big coicendence otherwise). I did wonder when I first saw it and later tried anagrams but couldnt find anything before moving on to Ep2.

Interesting...I'd love to see more Adrian, not because I'm a big fan of the character, but just because seeing more of the HL universe aside from Gordon = win.

Maybe they put it in as a joke after all the Aperture Science Handhelp Portal Device and Apeture Science High Energy Pellet speculation that was circulating.

I doubt we'll be seeing Adrian again any time soon, but you never know (Unless you're Samon or Shasta).

What, H A R D P E N I S ?

Someone beat you (off?) to it.

Just realised keyboard thing aswell ^^

E, R, I, P, A, S, D, H, N converts into ADRIEN SHPD. Much clearer :)

I'd never thought of that.

Back