Aperture Science Website Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone make any connections between this and the seven hour war? Or maybe another thing that happened in the Half-Life universe.

Can anyone make any connections between this and the seven hour war? Or maybe another thing that happened in the Half-Life universe.
Well...only what we have done so far, there's been a few guesses at the connection. Valve have said the stories will entwine somehow, but perhaps through story they've not yet explored in the Half-life universe, or something we know very little about. With the portal storms in HL1, and openings for Xen creatures to come through, you'd think it's most likely they'd use that as the connection.

They changed something on the site BTW. The colors page is now a little different, and when you try to get your ip it says [undefined]. For the first favorite color question, does #51 say Flax for you? It said silver for me a while ago...

I just found something else out. Between 1982 and 1985 there were 3 types of computers made with things called boss keys. These were the IBM XT and AT computers. The boss key is designed so that if a boss comes by when your playing a game you press f1 or f10 and it goes to a general productivity chart. Doesn't this sound familiar? Maybe kinda like the thing at the end...

heres the wikipedia link for the boss key:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_key

One other thing, the date on the GLaDOS system directly corresponds to the date that these computers had boss keys in them. Maybe GLaDOS has a boss key?

Boss keys are ridiculously common features. There is nothing in that flash file that we haven't already found. Nothing. We decompiled it to source code, we have found everything, that tantilising sneak peak is really all there is to it, at the moment. If anything new develops, please insert it in the handy space below this post by typing it in the usual manner and gently depressing the submit button. If not - woah boy, woah!

A preview-article type thing someone posted a while back mentioned the "computerized voice" that "...tells me that both cake and grievance counseling will be available."
Just a random theory here – the Aperture Science folk don't know much about humans. They took, perhaps, some bureaucratic procedures – the "orientation videos," for one – and a cheap motivator, the kind someone asked on the street might suggest – cake – and started up their test program with that information and little more. This would also explain the bizarre application questions – how would they know what would be relevant to employment and what wouldn't? – and the hints of ominous, exaggerated bureaucracy – 'obtain authorization to not discontinue filling out the form,' 'wait to be collected,' and so on. Whoever's running Aperture just doesn't get how we work – they're trying to imitate the way human [businesses? labs? whatever] work, for some reason, and getting it wrong. This conflict might also explain why, as mentioned in the same article as well as a few others, the AI-or-whatever running the tests starts going crazy; it can't deal with this new way of doing things.

Anyone else think of something that looks human... but is kind of not right?. I read this and immediately thought of the G-Man, the way he is just a bit not right, and kind of inhuman. Maybe him, or people like him are the ones running the show.

I kinda have this big test today so I'll have to assume that nobody has already said this... so let's begin
The whole thing smells like "The Island" from a mile away, I mean, come on, no contact from the outside, everyone working not knowing on what, those stupid white boxes that I can't really remember where i've seen 'm, see the movie.

Anyways just by reading what you're presented with when you type help is evidence enough that this is one of Valve's publicity stunt.
The question we should be asking is why? I guess this whole portal thing is some kind of new revolutionary gameplay idea (well, not really) that Valve probably thinks will go unnoticed if they don't make the fans "want more". Still it was kinda fun to get that whole fear dot com feeling... MS-DOS, really, maybe this was Newell's idea, since he worked at Microsoft especially in the early years when DOS was really big...

ohhh i remember now...a while ago when i was in physics i was looking in the text book and i saw a logo in there that looked almost the same as the aperture science logo. the one that sorta looks like a camera or something.

Im pretty sure the chapter that was in was talking about light and stuff....if i still had the textbook here i would look it up but ive taken it back already [end of school]

just a thought

I was looking at the portal trailer again today, and I noticed that the ASHPD had writing on it. It was blurred (probably by the editors on purpose) but I think I could make out F-22 written on it. I think this could stand for female 22 or female test subject 22. What do you guys think?

Very possible. It sure isn't The F-22
f-22.jpg

:) no, but the plane is pretty badass, I have a cousin who worked on the competing YF-23 fighter, unfourtuneatly it lost the contract... this does not make the f-22 any less badass however...

Hi all!

I didn't find anything about the following in this thread nor on http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/User:AndrewNeo/Analyzing_ApertureScience.com, so I'm posting it now.

A friend of mine noticed something different at http://www.aperturescience.com/ while he was writing down his UID(+L) in notepad. While we know the UID isn't just impossible to input successfully because of the lowercase issue, it's changing as well. I took these screenshots with aprox. one minute apart:

uin1.jpg

uin2.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this?

It's in the first post, dude.

Morning, this is my first post at the forum etc, and just to prevent starting off too bad, I'd like to apologize if anything of this has been posted already. I'd just like to make sure it's "documented" before I forget it, and the previous thread is a bit much to read while I'm at work.

I find the interrogate command quite interesting, seems like we're missing some part there. I tried with "Interrogate GMAN" etc, but it didn't work, as I'm sure others have noticed aswell earlier. But what came to my mind is to try "Interrogate 00" or "Interrogate Gordon", 00 being the number of the relaxation room we see on the cam. Haven't had time to try it yet.

Regarding the boss-key theory, indeed there's a bosskey in the "message" from the so called coworker, which is also even more visible in the code from version 16 (http://paste.uni.cc/9884), with a function even called bosskey. I also noticed that except enter & space, the right arrow works as a bosskey aswell, might be worth checking out in the rest of the system.

I also think it's a good idea not to just settle with "User: whatever" & "Pass: portal/portals", but keep on trying to find a new way to access the dos, "Gman" didn't work as password unfortunately. :D

I read somewhere in the first post at the first 5-6 pages that you can only wrist numbers & letters while answering the questions, maby at all times, however I noticed that you can write questionmarks(?). Hope it helps someone figure out something new. :)

Once again I apologize if these things have been mentioned earlier.

Quicky EDIT before I'll eat some lunch:
Has anyone tried to referring in any way to the game it's said they got the "idea" from? Narbacular Drop

New EDIT:
I know I might just be picky now, but when using the TAPEDISK command just after having logged in, and get the errormsg(ERROR 18 [User not authorized to transfer system tapes]), shouldn't this imply just a bit that there's another "profile" that's available through some digging with the "normal" one? :)

One: We have the source. You are not going to find any more usernames and passwords because there are none.

Two: Yes, repeatedly, over and over and over. Valve hired the ND people.

Three: See One.

One: We have the source. You are not going to find any more usernames and passwords because there are none.

Two: Yes, repeatedly, over and over and over. Valve hired the ND people.

Three: See One.

Bah, where's the fun in it if you look through the source? :/

Does anyone else see the connection between a ridiculous bureaucracy and the G-man, the intergalactic bureaucrat?

possibly old...

i read through most of the 40 page thread and didn't see anything about it, and while not terribly useful (and possibly just a funky thing flash does...), but if you put the URL in directly for the flash ap (http://www.aperturescience.com/ApertureScience17.swf), all the letters you type in are doubled, so you can't log in or anything...
ex:

LLOOGGIINN

somewhat ammusing, if nothing else

odd... must just be some software quirkiness... i'm using the newest firefox (2.0.0.1) on XP, latest flash, blah blah blah.

clearly not anything useful then, my bad...

I think it’s easy to get a bit carried away looking for secret codes and messages on the website/flash. Think of it being like a slightly elaborate ‘teaser trailer’ which is giving you a few little tidbits of information about the storyline of the game, that you can work out with a little background knowledge and by picking up on a few clues.

We already know that Portal fits into the Half-Life timeline. We know that the Black Mesa incident takes place in the early ‘noughties’. If we look at the date of the operating system, which we know is roughly 20 years out of date, we can say that this game probably takes place a few years after BM, but not that long after. Which puts it at about the same period as the Portal Storm although probably before the 7 hour war. We can also say with some degree of certainty that Aperture Science is not run by the Combine or the Xen so it’s probably only one of a few different things: a human commercial entity, a human government entity (possibly with a commercial fa?ade), or a cover for some other power to which we have not yet been introduced.

What else can we say? Well GMan has access to Portal technology at the time of the BM incident, so in theory it’s a proven technology. This suggests that it’s not a testing facility for a new technology, leaving the natural conclusion that it’s a facility for testing and/or training people to some ends. We can also theorise that since this is taking place within an already established timeline, unless the events in the game extend beyond EP2, it has no global bearing on events set in motion by Gordon Freeman, although it’s possible that it will have some as-yet-unknown crossover. We can also say that probably GMan has some involvement.

A couple of other interesting points: In the flash, your anonymous messenger mentions people ‘leaving the building’. This suggests that it’s not a large underground complex like Black Mesa, or at least if it is, then the ‘subjects’ probably don’t know about it. One other thing which struck me: the motto of Aperture Science There’s a hole in the sky, through which things may fly, I wonder if this is some kind of reference to the Portal Storm.

So there’s quite a bit we can put together from this Aperture Science site, but I don’t think looking for cryptic messages or codes is going to reveal anything, as that seems far too complex to be a marketing too. Don’t forget, Valve want to sell games and drum up interest in their new release. They’re not going to give you an unsolvable puzzle, just something which requires you to do a little bit of thinking, and give you more to think about as a reward.

Well GMan has access to Portal technology at the time of the BM incident

We don't know this though. He can bend time and space yes, but that doesn't mean he has portal technology. I'm not dissing you; the rest of your post is fine.
...However, there is a note in RtB that mentions the BMRF incident happened in 2003. Although this is only concept art, it si the best lead we've got (and judging from the calendars it was december at the time).

We don't know this though. He can bend time and space yes, but that doesn't mean he has portal technology. I'm not dissing you; the rest of your post is fine.
...However, there is a note in RtB that mentions the BMRF incident happened in 2003. Although this is only concept art, it si the best lead we've got (and judging from the calendars it was december at the time).
At the end of HL1 he teleports you around the place and offers you a job, if you step into the portal. In OP4 he is seen walking into a portal at the dam.

That doesn't mean he uses machinery however. The portal in Op4 is already there, and though it is clearly waiting for him convieniantly, that doens't mean he made it. Besides, I never said he didn't teleport, but for all we know he's a super-advanced bieng like the advisor and can bend time and space at will using his mind. There is no evidence to suggest machinery is involved.

I didn't see it, but if it's there can you tell me were it is?

Belive me, I really tried not to make an unnecessary first post.

FIRSTPOSTLOL said:
Entering in "apply" will bring you to some instructions giving you the choice of typing "continue" or "quit" and if you enter "continue" a message giving your "(UID(+L)" (Unique Identity Number Plus Letters) will appear and you are told to memorize it, but if you notice carefully at the numbers/letters displayed blinking. Every fews seconds a random assortment of characters are being altered so remembering it is pointless.

J00 didn't try hard enough. :D

I suppose, yeah, there's no specific conclusive evidence to say that G-man does have access to it, although it's my understanding that the technology used to put Freeman into stasis is based on the same family. I can't remember the term used for it, but it does seem to suggest that this is the case. Anyway, for arguments sake, I suppose we can scratch that as being speculation for the time being.

If we were to take the 2003 date as being canon, then we could say that Portal is set around the same time as the BM incident. Another possible theory is that the Aperture Science facility is part of Black Mesa, and the reason it's on lokdown is because of the incident. If you follow that line of thought through to conclusion, maybe you're the one that end up helping G-man to help Freeman, by opening the portals he uses at the end of HL1. More speculation though since the phrase '20 year old technology' probably isn't totally accurate and would be a figure that's rounded up or down. And we can't be totally sure of the date of the BM incident anyway. I suppose if anything it opens up the possibility that it's taking place before the incident, which is interesting.

My knowledge is sketchy here, but doesn't Freeman launch a portal-generating satellite at the end of HL1, which is what allows the portal storm to take place in the first place? Put that together with the motto of Aperture Science, plus the fact that Portal may be set at the same time or even just before the BM incident, and the implications are slightly sinister...

This thread is getting way too off-topic but if I had to bet I'd say that Aperture Labratories have a conection to the g-man.

Look,I've found out something/s about it,but I will only tell it in email.When enough people know it will I post it.

What's the point of that exactly. If your going ot belong to a fansite teh idea is to share your theories and ideas, not matter how ridiculous they are (unless its Freeman = GMan in which case GTFO). We respect your opinion. Kind of.

I don't know if it's been posted, but there's no 's' in the question regarding the favorite letters of the 4 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back